SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weber Gas Grill Shopping, Whats the deal with side burners? UPDATE WITH PICS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weber Gas Grill Shopping, Whats the deal with side burners? UPDATE WITH PICS Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
Looking at getting a new gas grill, I'll be going with Weber. I've never owned a grill that has a side burner, is this a gimmick or is it handy?

Looking at the S-335 model.

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeGLI,

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9744 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
When we were buying a Weber grill my wife insisted on the side burner. She's never used it!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They’re OK for warming up a pot of beans or sauce but they don’t really have a whole lot of power for much else IMO.

I see it as a gimmick and one more thing to break.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I have an older Weber Genesis. A top tier model from about 2012.

I used the side burner on occasion for greasy or smokey cooking. It's decent at that but be warned, all the splattered grease is a pain to clean from the underside of the lift up burner cover. Grease will accumulate on the actual grill lid that it sits next to and will discolor that side of the lid over time.

If you try cooking while it's windy you will lose a lot of BTUs as the wind will keep the burner from staying fully lit.

It will sear a steak OK using a cast iron pan if the wind is low.

I'd still opt to buy a model with it but they aren't perfect.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have a Napoleon grill with infrared side burner. I use it for searing meat all the time. I also put my cast iron skillet on it to cook sometimes. I don’t usually bother using it to heat a pot of vegetables or anything.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Had one before, never used it really .

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't like to cook bacon, onions, or anything stinky in the house so I picked a burner similar to THIS and it's been great outside. A much better and more powerful option than a sideburner on a grill IMO.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one a long time ago. I only used it for sautéing mushrooms as I was grilling steaks. Much easier than running back and forth from the kitchen to the porch. Like someone else said I occasionally used it for beans. My sister also had one and used it for bacon so it didn’t grease up/smell up the house. That’s not a problem for me as I cook my bacon in the oven.

Posts: 806 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I have a Napoleon grill with infrared side burner. I use it for searing meat all the time. I also put my cast iron skillet on it to cook sometimes. I don’t usually bother using it to heat a pot of vegetables or anything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS

Before you go Weber- check country of origin for your model---many are out of Chin-wa now!
Napoleon build some out of Ottowa---lower models from Chin-wa but overall a better grill!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I don't like to cook bacon, onions, or anything stinky in the house

My brain can not comprehend what you are saying. Bacon, onions and garlic cooking are the best smells in the world and one of the few things that would get my kids to come out of their rooms.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8001 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mark60:
I don't like to cook bacon, onions, or anything stinky in the house..

No true Southerner would EVER consider bacon cooking as stinky! (Just like no true Southerner would EVER use instant grits... Cool

Posts: 1663 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mark60:
I don't like to cook bacon, onions, or anything stinky in the house..

No true Southerner would EVER consider bacon cooking as stinky! (Just like no true Southerner would EVER use instant grits... Cool
Bacon frying is our equivalent of potpourri ...

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It depends on the side burner ...

We use ours to fry onion rings, calamari, warm sauces, etc.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have a side burner. It puts out pretty good heat.

The problem is level. Either the ground or the grill or both. If you're cooking liquids or soup, probably fine. Any cooking that involves oil like sautéing and the cooking can be even if the oil pools to one side. Bacon is hard, one side gets crispy, the side is soft.

Usable if you watch it. Need to rotate the food around. And watch for oil splatter, it gets everywhere.

I use it to fry fish like mackerel outside.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've never used it on any of the grills I've had.
Sought one without it & found one [not a Weber] with a griddle on the side instead.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I've used mine on rare occasions. Mostly when I cook scallops. Kinda messy so it's good to do outside.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8363 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the heat output is lacking for any serious cooking requiring high heat like stir fries. I primarily use it for sauces and glazes now that we have a dedicate outside cooking area for the more aromatic Vietnamese dishes.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I don't know if its the eggs with flour cooked in oil, but Latke really stink up the house. I cook them on Weber side burner that is right outside the kitchen door.

Posts: 7626 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When our power went out for about five days it was nice to have the side burner to
heat up food in a pot.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a Weber Summit grill center with a side burner. I use it all the time,especially for frying and dirty jobs that create lots of grease splatter.
I hate the idea of turning on the home oven or burners when I'm running the A/C at the same time.
I can do anything outside that I can do inside.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post