Main Page
The Lounge
Fact or myth: You should not let your vehicle’s gas tank dip below a quarter fullGo ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Member |
I had a mechanic that I know working on my niece's car. Her and her husband always had a propensity to run their damn gas tank low or empty. Anyway he told me after replacing their fuel pump that they need to stop running it low and/or/dry because they were made to stay wet to keep them cool and lubed. | |||
|
| Member |
I've done it many, many times over 40+ years. In college, I had a little Datsun 210(Nissan to you youngsters) that I would often run down to almost fumes. My uncle, who possessed a great sense of humor, once asked me if I was trying to wean my car- lol. Then I had a small diesel-powered car that I tried not to let run low because of how dirty the fuel was at that time, but it still happened occasionally as I was traveling for a living. I put over 80k miles on it before I sold it, and it was running like a champ. After that, I had a couple high-performance autos, then a series of SUVs that I put 180k-250k on before I sold them. All of them I had run down to fumes more than once while traveling. They all ran great and I never had to replace the fuel filter. Caveat- I always used brand-name, higher quality gasoline, except on the rarest of occasions when I had no other choice. . | |||
|
אַרְיֵה![]() |
If I've told you once, I've told you FORTY MILLION TIMES, don't exaggerate! הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים | |||
|
| Shall Not Be Infringed |
One shop, THOUSANDS of blown motors? Surely you jest. Dude should've put in his own Gas Station serving up all the finest aromatic fuels available then! Sure does sound like there would be a business justification for it if there's truly a rural fuel desert that exists 'Down South'. ____________________________________________________________ If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !! Trump 47....Making America Great Again! "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20 Live Free or Die! | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Fuel pumps do need to have gas around them to help keep them cool, but they are designed to sit in a surrounding plastic container that holds fuel inside of the tank. The fuel line sock typically sits outside of that fuel reservoir. You can see the plastic housing that surrounds the pump in the image, yes you can burn a pump out but it takes some work, and you'd have to have it running quite a while with no fuel around it at all. Keeping a 1/4 tank would allow the fuel in the reservoir to be replenished and cooled and help extend the life of the pump. | |||
|
Member![]() |
No, I didn’t jest but thank you so much for the courtesy. And fuel desert? Really? Let me know where to show up for the polygraph. You pay for it. What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone | |||
|
Member![]() |
I fucking didn’t. Geez, give me a fucking break and find something to do. What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone | |||
|
A Grateful American![]() |
Pump gets hot. Pump burns up. "the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד | |||
|
| Conveniently located directly above the center of the Earth |
among the useful relics of the demanding era of First Drivers License in the years of high school Camelot, was a little phrase from my dad, which I was somewhat tardy to accept until adequate experience accumulated during the "Oh Really" test period: It really doesn't cost more to keep the tank at least half full as it does less than 1/8, base on a number of unpleasant Learning Opportunities..... | |||
|
Oriental Redneck![]() |
Soooooo……………I guess it’s both fact and myth. Fascinating. Q | |||
|
אַרְיֵה![]() |
Must be a pretty big shop. Thousands of motors would take a lot of room. הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים | |||
|
| Member |
Fuel on many vehicles actually pumps through or around internally the pump motor thus cooling it regardless of fuel level in the tank. I once bought a used Ford truck from an old man that never let the gas go below 1/4 tank. The fuel gauge, for the remaining life of the truck, would stick/stop at 1/4 tank and never go any lower! If things changed, things would be different. | |||
|
| The Unmanned Writer |
Only if you rebuild 50 at a time. Guy who rebuilt my 85 Suburban 350 did more than four or five a month - consistently - for near about 50 years. That is thousands though in his case (RiP Ed Hale) he built/rebuilt a ton of racing motors. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own... | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
| |||
|
For real?![]() |
I have heard the it keeps the fuel pump cool stuff but I have it ingrained in myself and my kids to never let it get below 1/4 full because you never know what you're going to run into and you might run out of fuel. I have been stuck in traffic for over 4 hours because of some serious crash. Like near those tunnels that go through the mountain in VA? During the winter times, my kids and go I fuel up at 1/2 tank. On long trips, a full tank will get my around 550+ miles so I think I've driven long enough before empty to stop and refuel and take a break. Like when my son was stationed at Fort Bragg, I could make it there in one tank (it was about 510 miles away) and we've done it in one drive but I'd rather stop and take a break and fuel up at least halfway. Not minority enough! | |||
|
| Member |
I had a 2005 Mercury Sable that I used to run down to fumes on about every tank. I drove it (company car) until about 75,000 miles and then my sister bought it and drove it to 200,000 miles and the she sold it. Never had any issue with it. | |||
|
| Eschew Obfuscation |
I don't know if there's a mechanical reason for doing so, but I generally don't let my tank go below 1/2 for the same reason as fischtown7. _____________________________________________________________________ “One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how dangerous it is to trust them.” – Thomas Sowell | |||
|
| Hop head |
I don't think there are any left in this area, or this state, that are so old and have not been updated, the local convenience store has been there 40 yrs in the new building, with pumps updated maybe every 10-15 years, but they still have an old Veeder Root box behind the counter to tell them if there is any water, if there is a store in this state that has stale fuel, betting it is out of business, and closed FWIW I had a Cooper S, bought used at 6K, and had a couple trips back for a check engine light, was lectured the first time about name brand gas, additives etc, so I stopped using Kroger gas, (I was a Store Manager for them) from a brand new station, and used nothing but Shell, (Kroger partnered with them for discounts) had to have it serviced again for CEL, started to get the same lecture from the service writer, and shut him down when I told him it has nothing but Shell premium, and then gave him a lecture on how fuel was pumped and delivered and the additives, guess what, the issue was not the fuel, it was programing and mapping, got the car back in a week and it ran like a raped ape, had an expert mechanic tell me our fuel, both diesel and gas, were contaminated due to his customers saying so, so we pumped from each pump, into a clear container, and there was zero, as in none, 0,, nada, water or trash in any of the containers from any of the pumps, dude STFU, and went back to work to figure out that either his customer lied, or he had the wrong diagnosis https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/ | |||
|
| Hop head |
maybe a mythical fact?? or a factual myth? https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/ | |||
|
| Hop head |
I knew a Ed Hale, ran an Upholstery shop here, made a killing doing headliners in 80's and 90's cars, (foam backed fabric sucked) and the occasional boat or car interior, we used to fish together a lot , great dude, then cancer got him RIP https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/ | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 3 4 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|
Main Page
The Lounge
Fact or myth: You should not let your vehicle’s gas tank dip below a quarter full
