SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you use for getting tree sap off your car?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you use for getting tree sap off your car? Login/Join 
posted
I park outside as we use the garage for other things so my vehicles get covered in pine tree sap. I've tried peeling it and washing it and a clay bar but I was wondering about the sprays like goo gone etc. Does anyone have a go-to method for removing sap? Its on the paint and the windshield.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Denatured alcohol is correct. Even softens the glass hard spots. It removes your wax but will not harm paint or clear coat. Don't use any other alcohol but denatured. Dampen soft cotton cloth like old T shirt.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I had to park one of my 3 Honda Accords beneath several pines to be off street. Those drippy devils made a daily mess on my car. The denatured alcohol cleans it right off.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ This. Isopropyl alcohol works great as well, just make sure you wash the car when you're done as it'll mess with the clear coat if you leave it on for any length of time.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but after you get it off put a ceramic coating on your car—-even a do-it-yourself product will protect your car from tree sap. I know from personal experience that it will pop off easily with a fingernail. I’ve had both professionally applied ceramic and a do-it-yourself product the biggest difference is the pro will do paint correction before application, and your vehicle will look as good as possible; it will also last much longer, like 3-5 years. Auto store products should probably be applied twice/year.

On the windshield, a razor blade scraper.

Posts: 13594 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
^^^^^^^ This. Isopropyl alcohol works great as well, just make sure you wash the car when you're done as it'll mess with the clear coat if you leave it on for any length of time.

It won't stay on the paint for ANY length of time, it flashes off immediately, and there is no residue to damage any kind of paint or clear coat.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Not sure, but after you get it off put a ceramic coating on your car—-even a do-it-yourself product will protect your car from tree sap. I know from personal experience that it will pop off easily with a fingernail. I’ve had both professionally applied ceramic and a do-it-yourself product the biggest difference is the pro will do paint correction before application, and your vehicle will look as good as possible; it will also last much longer, like 3-5 years. Auto store products should probably be applied twice/year.

On the windshield, a razor blade scraper.

Good recommendation on the razor for the glass. The glass is very hard, and a brand new razor will not scratch it, but will pick up any and all tree sap and any other windshield boogers.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy some plastic razor blade scrapers. We use them at work to remove city decals from city vehicles and police cars. Won’t harm your paint.

Posts: 67 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Get a Car Cover let it drip on that, don't use razor blades you can scratch glass just as easy as paint, get the plastic scrapers

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What about GooGone? Orange scented spray.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I haven’t tried it but I’ve read that WD-40 works.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When Mrs Mike and I lived in NC, she had to park under a long leaf pine daily. I used WD40. Spray it, let it soak while I gather the wash bucket rag, brush, soap. The. Wipe it off with a paper towel, the. Wash the car. It softens the sap but doesn’t bother the paint.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for GooGone. I've used it to take several things off and it does not seem to effect the finish and it is easy to use.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 733 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Windex will also remove the sap.

A caution on denatured alcohol: was using it to remove sap on my son's car that was recently in the shop for a fender replacement. Apparently the pin stripe was not clear coated over, and the alcohol wiped a section of it right off. Did not hurt the clear coated fender itself.

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
WD 40, sometimes isopropyl alcohol. Nowadays, I make sure we aren’t parked under trees.

I used to really enjoy detailing cars and correcting paint. Now it’s just hard work. I even went as far as to sell my buffer and all associated products at the garage sale last week.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give those a shot, thank you!

Posts: 3108 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
*!*!*!*! TREE SAP. *!*!*!*!*!*

I’ve spent the better part of 2 weeks trying to wash off the blood/coffee/whatever on the passenger side of my white car hood…that also happens to sit under a maple tree.

Tree sap. Not sure I ever would have guessed that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Get a Car Cover let it drip on that, don't use razor blades you can scratch glass just as easy as paint, get the plastic scrapers

When I was a young guy, I turned wrenches for awhile. Back then, state inspections were required. I can’t tell you how many inspection stickers I scraped off with a razor blade scraper. I still use one today for things like assembly plant stickers on my own vehicles. Never scratched a window that I know of; can’t figure out how you did.

Posts: 13594 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post