SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When a pet dies prematurely
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When a pet dies prematurely Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. It's just that much harder when they die before their time. That metabolic bone disease: it's insidious. By the time you notice symptoms, they already have it good. And it does shorten their life span. You can stop it but you can't correct the damage that is already done. And I've been kicking myself over all the things I might have done to have prevented it, but I didn't even really know it existed until he was diagnosed with it.

He lived 7.5 years. In the wild the average life span is 2-3 years. In captivity, they can live as long at 15 years, but usually average 8-10 years. So he was right at the edge of old age. That's pretty much the only solace I have. I've read that after 7 to 8 years, they are pretty much on borrowed time. It just sucks. I miss him a lot. He had every bit as much personality as my dog and cat. And he absolutely recognized my wife and interacted with her.

Oh well, life goes on. Maybe one day, it will be in our hearts to have another. They are great pets.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
so sorry for your loss

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post