SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fuchs Disease, any one dealing with it? (Cornea)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuchs Disease, any one dealing with it? (Cornea) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
A little off topic Tommydogg but it may be in your best interest to file a service connected disability claim with the VA.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
My understanding is that this is a genetic disorder. Tying it to environmental factors while in the service would be unlikely.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
A little off topic Tommydogg but it may be in your best interest to file a service connected disability claim with the VA.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
My understanding is that this is a genetic disorder. Tying it to environmental factors while in the service would be unlikely.

If it occurs while you are in the military it is service connected. My Father in law developed lung cancer in his 80's. During the diagnosis they observed asbestos in his lungs. He was stationed on a destroyer during the Korean war working in the boiler room. Had to working around asbestos his entire 3 years. Filed a claim and got 100% disability.

His son, my brother in law was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes during his tour in the Navy in the 70's. Fast forward to his 60's and he became more debilitated. He filed a claim with the VA and received 100% service connected because it was first diagnosed during his service. The illness or injury has to occur during your service, and Tommydogg said it was first diagnosed during his service. Not all disabilities are 100% but they all have some level of benefit, even 10%.

It does not cost anything to file and there are many benefits if it is approved.

Service connected disabilities are a lot different than workman's comp.

The cornea guttata is the initial alteration of Fuchs' dystrophy , a corneal disease that presents in several stages.

If a condition you acquire during service worsens you are still covered.

Posts: 12657 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am well aware. Asbestosis Lung cancer and Mesothelioma are pretty clear with being on a Navy ship. Diabetes Type l is less clear, but it would qualify since it was diagnosed during the service. Fuchs would involve an expert opinion from an opthalmalogist and would had to have been diagnosed during his service. There needs to be written documentation in his STRS. It does take appreciable time to workup a claim, and it is certainly not like a workers comp. claim. There would be no penalty for trying.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes some time but is not that hard to do. I am not a lawyer but filled out the paperwork for my father in law and he got approved during the first phase. Many veterans organizations will also help if needed.

Posts: 12657 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Veteran Service officers can help with the forms as well. A well prepared claim will move along much more quickly.

Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I have early Fuch's and the beginning of Cataracts. Right now for me is over the counter drops daytime and cream at night.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post