SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many miles on a set of tires?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many miles on a set of tires? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Does anybody actually get the manufacturers mileage rating on their tires? I need new tires for my car (Mazda CX-5), and Costco has some 90k Michelins, but they're pretty expensive. I'm just wondering if I can realistically expect to get 90k on the tires? Previous to this car, I drove a Jeep for 14 years, and my tires only lasted about 75% of the specified mileage.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I got a little over 45k on a set of Cooper tires rated for 40k.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would think that a lot depends on how and where you drive

I recall reading studies that all-season radials become actually three-season radials after the first year

rough road conditions can wear the snot out of rubber much faster than smooth conditions and new pavement

probably a lot depends on how well they're maintained with proper tire pressure as well to give the right tire patch

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Just replaced 2 tires today. 59.8K miles on them. The other 2 got replaced about a year ago when I ran into a batch of spilled drywall screws and destroyed them.

Put Michelins on, to match the earlier replacement. Costco cost $325 and change.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I got 80k on some Michelin MXV4 tires with a decent amount of tread left. OEM Yokohamas only got 40k on two cars.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
So much depends of how you drive. Not just starting and stopping quickly but taking turns hard will eat up tires.

Anything wrong with the alinement will make them wear faster.

I've like the Michelins I've had over some other brands I've tired for car tires.

Will it last 90k maybe not but it will likely last longer then a 50k rated tire.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 70K miles on a set of Michelin LT tires on a 2001 F150. They will easily last another 20K, I think.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Typically around 40-45k but I wasn't very good at rotating tires. Lowest I got was about 10k on the rear set for my Corvette Z06 but that was kind of expected. Big Grin

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Costco almost always has a $75 off on a set of 4 Michelins deal plus they rotate them free at the recommended intervals. That eases the cost a bit while extending their life as much as possible. In my experience Michelins generally get pretty close to what they claim if you aren't hard on tires. Some brands are a joke but with them you pretty much get what you pay for with Michelin.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I drive conservatively and always get way better tire mileage.

In 1969 I had a set of Michelins on my Bug. At 125,000 sold them to buddy who put another 50K on them.

Recently got 61,000 on set of Jeep sized Kellys; they still measured 11/18ths with deep tread left. Traded the vehicle off or would likely still be trying to wear them out.

Lots of variables affect tread wear.
I'm shopping for a set of Michelins now that would fit my Wrangler.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
On a "normal" set of sedan tires I tend toward tires that are a little more oriented toward performance than long tread life. For me the trade off in dry and especially wet traction is well worth the additional cost of a set every 30-35K rather than every 50-60K on a set of hard, mediocre grip tires. I'm not talking race pace, I just want to not have the wet performance be a concern for me or others who drive our cars.

Of course I do have two rear axles that get under 15K per set of tires each, but I can get 2 times that from the fronts! Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
70 to 80k on the last 3 sets of aftermarket bfg tko tires for my truck and tahoe. 25k for my last 3 sets of my audi tires.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I have 68K on a set of 50K Yokohama tires, with plenty of life left. I wish they still made the Geolanders.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten 100k each from 2 different sets of Michelins.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I replace my BMW X5 original tires (not sure what they were) at about 42k miles. The replacements are Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires and I seem to recall someone telling me they were rated for 80k miles.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I usually get the rated mileage or close to it. For instance, the OEM tires on my Tacoma were rated at about 45k miles and I replaced them at 40k when winter was coming on. Now you also need to be mindful of how old (in years) the tires are.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 Chevy Trax. AWD. Like a shopping cart with a small turbocharged motor. Drive over nasty Yoop roads and in lots of winter weather.
Just replaced the OEM cheapie Continentals at 21K. Today, in fact.
New tires are Firestone Destination LEII. Rated for 60K. $530 bucks for all 4, mounted and balanced. I hope to see 30K.
My experience is your tire life depends on the roads you drive on and the speed you drive. The factory ratings seem to be way too rosy. At least for me, anyway.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Michelin LTX on my 2003 Pilot.

Had 95k and still had probably another useful 5k, but we were going into Winter. Balanced and rotated every 5-6k miles.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If your driving habits haven't changed significantly I would expect you to get about 75% of the expected wear on any quality tire.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
45-50K for normal car tires. Remember tires age out as well over time so just because they have good tread, if they are like 10 years old that's an issue as well.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7864 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post