SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Check your spare tires
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check your spare tires Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Was doing an oil change on my Explorer today & checked the tires as part of the to do list.
Spare had about 20psi in it, 60psi indicated on the door jamb sticker.

Decided to do the Expedition as well & the tires were only about 3 psi low. The spare was also at about 20psi [35 recommended]

Also got me familiar with how to drop the spare, had to consult the manual. Definitely would be inconvenient with a load in the back as the access to lower the spare is under the cargo floor. Also flipped it over so the valve stem is accessible from below.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job .

Posts: 4070 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I do that once a year.
When I got the new F150, I swapped out the nuts because my dad had two lugnuts swell. Also used anti seize on all the studs.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/go...0-raptor/p/WHLLN122/
Fast shipping.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Another good reason to keep an air compressor with you in the tool bag.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Funny timing. Jumped into our grand cherokee that doesnt get a lot of attention this morning and the spare tire pressure msg came up.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Make sure you are spraying your chain and hoist with Eezox or something of the like.
Your hoist seizes and you’re on the side of the interstate it’s bad news.
I carry a compressor in the truck so I am less worried about pressure.
I lower the spare an PD lube the chain and hoist every oil change.
Hoist seized on my 2000 Silverado and it was a beast. Luckily I was at home.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25448 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Check it twice a year during the snow setup / summer setup switchovers

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8030 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoist seized on my 2000 Silverado and it was a beast.
Since moving to the rust belt of the South, I see this fairly often, usually accompanied by a wheel so rusted that I'm afraid to air up the tire, which is also usually flat or nearly flat.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Ohio winters have eaten the spare off my current daily and frozen the spare on my previous truck the frame. And the said rusty wheel as well. Mine went to the scrapyard. No spare atm, but have an appointment next week to correct that situation as well as 4 new tires.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2750 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Spare tire? What's that? Frown

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Another good thing to do is replace any lug nuts that have an outer shell. I had to help a friend get his wheel off on the side of the road because the lug nut came apart and rounded over. I ended up drilling and chiselling around the stud and cutting the wheel off with a grinder. This was this past Friday afternoon and it was cold and raining.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a portable air compressor but I also have a tickler to check my tires including spares every Apr 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, and Dec 15. Timed for major temp changes in my areas.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Don't forget this

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post