SIGforum
Alternatives to Safelite auto?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3120094664

February 11, 2020, 05:00 AM
Edmond
Alternatives to Safelite auto?
Wondering if anyone here has used an alternative to Safelite auto for windshield repair.

Got quoted $150 to repair a chip. Of course, I want to get it done before it gets worse and have to replace the entire windshield.

February 11, 2020, 05:06 AM
PowerSurge
Have you looked into fixing it yourself with a kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-...p%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-8

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
February 11, 2020, 05:06 AM
Warhorse
Check with your auto insurance company, many times they will pick up the charge for these types of repairs.

February 11, 2020, 05:45 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Wondering if anyone here has used an alternative to Safelite auto for windshield repair.
You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
February 11, 2020, 05:50 AM
Hammer1967
Watching

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto
February 11, 2020, 06:12 AM
YellowJacket
In Atlanta there are tons of small companies that do that work. I found my last one just by using Google. Of course, getting an entirely new windshield for my Silverado only cost $175.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
February 11, 2020, 06:58 AM
Gene Hillman
Small shops in my area will do it for $30-$40 and I do it myself for $10. This only works if it is a repairable size. Depending on the windshield, on many vehicles a whole new one isn't expensive if you don't run it through the insurance company.
February 11, 2020, 07:01 AM
MikeinNC
We called the auto insurance guy. He recommended a local shop that was half the price of safelite....such that it was cheaper than my deductible and I happily threw my money at them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
February 11, 2020, 07:29 AM
BurtonRW
Glass USA / Glass America.

100%

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
February 11, 2020, 08:09 AM
PD
AAA? Around here AAA comes to your home or work for batteries and windshields. Very convenient.
February 11, 2020, 08:14 AM
LBAR15
Repairing a small chip is one of those things that you really can do just as well yourself with a quality kit by carefully following the instructions. I've done several and never had them open up any further.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu
February 11, 2020, 08:39 AM
Georgeair
The DIY kits are remarkably easy to do a job that is 95% as good as any I've ever seen done at a kiosk/pro. Unless it's directly in my line of site I'd get one of those and use it.

I know a lot of carriers waived deductible on these in past, but I believe many no longer do so?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

February 11, 2020, 08:43 AM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
We called the auto insurance guy. He recommended a local shop that was half the price of safelite....such that it was cheaper than my deductible and I happily threw my money at them.

This.

I have USAA and went with their local recommended windshield people both times I needed my Tundra's windshield replaced.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."