SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Court overturns Bill Cosby sex assault conviction, actor reportedly to be released from prison
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court overturns Bill Cosby sex assault conviction, actor reportedly to be released from prison Login/Join 
posted
https://justthenews.com/govern..._campaign=newsletter

Pennsylvania’s highest court on Wednesday overturned Bill Cosby’s sex assault conviction, allowing him to be immediately released from prison.

The 83-year-old Cosby will reportedly be released after the court found an agreement with a previous prosecutor prevented him from being charged in the case, according to the Associated Press.

The famous actor and comedian was two years into a three- to 10-year sentence at a state prison near Philadelphia.

He had vowed to serve all 10 years rather than acknowledge any remorse over the 2004 encounter with his accuser, the wire service also reports.

Cosby was convicted of drugging and molesting the female accuser, a Temple University employee, at his suburban estate.

He was charged in late 2015, when a prosecutor armed with newly unsealed evidence — Cosby’s damaging deposition from her lawsuit — arrested him days before the 12-year statute of limitations expired.

The trial judge had allowed just one other accuser to testify at Cosby’s first trial, when the jury deadlocked. However, he then allowed five other accusers to testify at the retrial about their experiences with Cosby in the 1980s.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court said that testimony tainted the trial, even though a lower appeals court had found it appropriate to show a signature pattern of drugging and molesting women, the Associated Press also reports.

Posts: 12730 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Link to the opinion:

https://www.pacourts.us/assets...40139246918.pdf?cb=1

If you believe in due process it was the right call.

https://threadreaderapp.com/th...287243068116992.html

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23563 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Probably going to be a three pudding night.

Posts: 1974 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
No doubt his rights were violated, it has to be done, regardless if he's a perv, can't have governments disregarding peoples rights to justify a conviction, lest we all want to give up those rights...

Posts: 23563 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
No doubt his rights were violated, it has to be done, regardless if he's a perv, can't have governments disregarding peoples rights to justify a conviction, lest we all want to give up those rights...

So, he did the crime he is accused of, but is getting off because of a technicality. . . At least he served SOME time, and his reputation is still in the crapper. He should still be worth millions, but he can't show his face in public without a SEVERE backlash, few (if any) of his previous friends and associates will (likely) want anything to do with him, and he'll be paparazzi bait for the rest of his life, so it's not all wine and roses for the rapist. In many ways, he will remain a 'prisoner' until the day he dies.

I don't like it, but I agree it must be done. This is why it is SO important for the prosecutors to do their due diligence and NOT screw up due process.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget why they went after him so hard and were determined to shut him up and see him die in prison.

It was this and the many other times he pointed the finger at black people themselves and they could not have that if the victim culture industry was to continue:

quote:

The Pound Cake Speech

The Pound Cake speech was given by Bill Cosby on May 17, 2004 during an NAACP Legal Defense Fund awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision.

In the speech, which was subsequently widely disseminated and analyzed, Cosby was highly critical of the black community in the United States. He criticized the use of African-American Vernacular English, the prevalence of single-parent families, perceived emphasis on frivolous and conspicuous consumption at the expense of necessities, lack of responsibility, and other behaviors.

The speech is often referred to as the "Pound Cake" speech because the following lines of the speech make reference to a pound cake, contrasting common criminals with political activists who risked incarceration during the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s:

But these people, the ones up here in the balcony fought so hard. Looking at the incarcerated, these are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake! And then we all run out and are outraged, 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand? I wanted a piece of pound cake just as bad as anybody else, and I looked at it and I had no money. And something called parenting said, 'If you get caught with it you're going to embarrass your mother.' Not 'You're going to get your butt kicked.' No. 'You're going to embarrass your family.'

Bill Cosby also covers the issues of drop-out rates and young people going to jail. He blames lack of parenting for these issues within these communities:

In the neighborhood that most of us grew up in, parenting is not going on. In the old days, you couldn't hooky school because every drawn shade was an eye. And before your mother got off the bus and to the house, she knew exactly where you had gone, who had gone into the house, and where you got on whatever you had on and where you got it from. Parents don't know that today.

In the speech, Cosby says that African Americans should no longer blame discrimination, segregation, governmental institutions, or others for higher unemployment rates among blacks or the racial achievement gap; rather, they have their own culture of poverty to blame.

In the same speech, he had praise for the efforts of the Nation of Islam in dealing with crime in the cities, saying:

When you want to clear your neighborhood out, first thing you do is go get the black Muslims, bean pies and all. And your neighborhood is then clear.

After that statement, he pointed out the police's inability to resolve the crime problem:

The police can't do it.

He then had critical remarks for black Christians' seeming inability to create positive social change for the urban population to which he was referring:

I'm telling you Christians, what's wrong with you? Why can't you hit the streets? Why can't you clean it out yourselves?

Cosby also attacked black naming conventions, saying:

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a damned thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Shaligua, Mohammed and all that crap and all of them are in jail.

Link

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of scumbags get off on "technicalities," but those technicalities are what hopefully sets a fair justice system apart from kangaroo courts.

Posts: 2490 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Lots of scumbags get off on "technicalities," but those technicalities are what hopefully sets a fair justice system apart from kangaroo courts.

Due process is not a technicality.

Cosby was accused of sexual assault in 2005 but the prosecutor determined there was not enough evidence to convict him. He was also sued in civil court for the same thing, but as long at the threat of criminal prosecution hung over him he could assert his fifth amendment privilege against self-incrimination and refuse to testify in the civil case. The prosecutor publicly stated that he would not prosecute Cosby and, with criminal charges off the table, he was forced to testify in the civil case. This was what the prosecutor intended, so there would be at least some justice for the accuser. About 10 years later the state "changed its mind" and decided to charge him criminally with the same assault and use the testimony in his civil case against him.

Bill Cosby is apparently a very bad guy, not Heathcliff Huxtable like many (including me) assumed for so long. But there can be absolutely no tolerance for chipping away at the Constitution, even if someone deserves what they would get if their rights were bent "just a little bit."

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
So, he did the crime he is accused of, but is getting off because of a technicality. . . At least he served SOME time, and his reputation is still in the crapper. He should still be worth millions, but he can't show his face in public without a SEVERE backlash, few (if any) of his previous friends and associates will (likely) want anything to do with him, and he'll be paparazzi bait for the rest of his life, so it's not all wine and roses for the rapist. In many ways, he will remain a 'prisoner' until the day he dies.

I don't like it, but I agree it must be done. This is why it is SO important for the prosecutors to do their due diligence and NOT screw up due process.

Well said Hound Dog.
I have no sympathy for Cosby, and I'm a guy who enjoyed his humor and his social commentary yet, he did a number of bad things and those have repercussions.
The prosecutors in their zeal to have his hide on the wall of justice and be the catalyst for the #MeToo movement they over-looked their responsibility for due diligence and procedure.

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
How long before Cosby sues the state for wrongful prosecution/incarceration (or whatever its called)?

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, he did the crime he is accused of, but is getting off because of a technicality. . .

I would hardly consider the constitutionally guaranteed right to due process of law to be a technicality. It is one the very most fundamental of rights we have.

If this is a technicality, then so is free speech, the right to bear arms, the right to trial by jury . . . You get the point.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
He did get pretty close to serving the minimum of his sentence did he not?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Served two years of a three to ten year sentence.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
..his reputation is still in the crapper.

Bottom line.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8358 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

i dont know much about the specifics of this case.

but that fact that he did even a couple + years is probably a 'success' for the prosecution.

will be interesting to see what happens next.

he was one of the biggest stars of the 80s.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

he was one of the biggest stars of the 80s.

He was a pretty big deal way before the eighties.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no doubt but -- The Cosby Show will surely be what he is best / most remembered for :

According to TV Guide, the show "was TV's biggest hit in the 1980s, and almost single-handedly revived the sitcom genre and NBC's ratings fortunes."[2] TV Guide also ranked it 28th on their list of 50 Greatest Shows.[3] In addition, Cliff Huxtable was named as the "Greatest Television Dad".[4]

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

will be interesting to see what happens next.

Next? Nothing. He's free. He won't be prosecuted again.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30425 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't choose Mr. Cosby to lead the "wrongly accused" charge against scumbag prosecutors who "bend" the rules to further their careers.

I agree with those who are stating that rules are there for a reason, not to be broken...and an infringement like is being reported here is every bit as important as an infringement on second or first amendment rights. The right to freedom...and freedom from illegal persecution by our own justice system, MUST be protected. We simply do not correctly hold prosecutors accountable. I would venture (with less knowledge than many others here), that a sizeable portion of the prosecution side of things do some pretty awful and scummy things. I've seen it where I live, I've seen it in other places also. Just as we should never use Floyd as some "saint" for whatever cause they mistakenly think that organization had...I'm not sure anyone should use Cosby either. I do hope he is able to ruin some prosecutor's careers though. I really detest the ones that pick and choose cases they know they can win, and break rules to do it. It affects the innocent and encourages vigilantes. It smears LE and makes all law professionals look like douchebags.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post