SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just Discovered Rat Patrol and 12 O’clock High
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Discovered Rat Patrol and 12 O’clock High Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As a young cop in the early 1970s I became acquainted with the owner of a nice restaurant and bar. He was the actor portraying the jeep driver in "Rat Patrol", took his bankroll and invested it very well, worked hard and built a very good business.

During the same time period one of the patrolmen I worked with was Joe Kenda, now famous as "Homicide Hunter". Wicked smart, very dry sense of humor, great guy to work with.

Also worked with Ronnie Stallworth, author of "Black Klansman". Another interesting and very intelligent guy.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rat Patrol inspired many injuries when I was on Ft Carson. Most units had jeeps with M-60 machine gun mounts in the back. The troops would (idiotically) stand behind the guns in a firing position (after being told not to) while running over rough terrain downrange. Often, the driver would take a bump too fast, and the gunner's face would slam forcefully into the butt of the M-60. I took a lot of reports and put a lot of guys on helicopters over that stunt.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
A local TV station in Raleigh used to have Combat! re-runs on in the late afternoons - the 82d Airborne Division at Fort Bragg had that show on the master training schedule every day.

As for 12 O'Clock High, there is a great movie with the same title - also worth watching. Both the TV show and the movie are based on the book from 1948, written by two USAAF officers with real experience in WWII - Beirne Lay and Sy Bartlett.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I loved Rat Patrol as a kid. I'll have to check out Combat! and 12 o'clock High. Wasn't that also a movie?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Great Topic, thanks!

I have not seen these shows in decades.

Pass the popcorn!

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
... 12 o'clock High. Wasn't that also a movie?

Yes. Gregory Peck, excellent movie.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post