SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How More Than $1 Trillion of Crypto Vanished in Just Six Months
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How More Than $1 Trillion of Crypto Vanished in Just Six Months Login/Join 
posted
Traders’ flight from risky investments has halved the price of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, wiping out more than $1 trillion worth of digital money since November.

Wild swings are fairly common with cryptocurrencies, but even seasoned investors were left reeling as bitcoin dropped 29% over a seven-day losing streak that just ended as a stablecoin—one part of the crypto world that touted its stability—unexpectedly crashed.

Investors are staring at an inflection point in the financial markets as interest rates rise and inflation rages, and they are responding by selling risky assets.

For crypto, it has been a volatile journey into the depths.

Value in circulation, select cryptocurrencies
NOVEMBER 2021
A group of U.S. federal agencies say they plan to begin delineating how banks can legally get involved in cryptocurrencies.

Source: CoinMarketCap
Last year cryptocurrencies were on fire and appeared to gain more legitimacy after years of being considered a fringe, speculative product. Tesla Inc. TSLA 5.71% said it bought $1.5 billion in bitcoin, pushing prices higher. Coinbase Global Inc. COIN 16.02% listed its shares in the first major bitcoin-focused public offering.

In November, bitcoin and ethereum, two of the most popular cryptocurrencies, reached all-time highs. Bitcoin’s value at 5 p.m. on Nov. 9 was $67,802.30; ethereum was worth $4,800. They are now down 58% and 60%, respectively, from those levels.

A pre-markets primer packed with news, trends and ideas. Plus, up-to-the-minute market data.

Cryptocurrencies were falling even before last week, victims of sky-high inflation. Bitcoin and other digital currencies have been talked about as inflation hedges. But the ripple effect has played out differently. Surging inflation is spurring the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates faster, which investors believe will cause a slowdown in economic growth. The result: Investors are unloading risky assets, including cryptocurrencies.

Also exacerbating the losses is that crypto trading, originally an individual-investor game, is now dominated by institutional investors such as hedge funds. Those who have sought diversification in crypto have been caught wrong-footed.

As the price has moved lower, both individual and institutional investors alike have been bowing out. When Coinbase reported its first-quarter results late Tuesday, it revealed it is hemorrhaging users. By the end of trading Thursday, Coinbase’s stock was 82% below where it closed after its first day of trading just over a year ago.

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/h...x-months-11652434202

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of people got insanely rich and a lot of people are wanting to jump off a building right now.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the Drug cartels took a beating.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the ones that jumped ship first probably came out good.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Investing in an alternative type of product without an intrinsic value. What could possibly go wrong.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time the true believers say "this time it's different" and "the fundamentals have changed", it's not different and fundamentals matter.

Crypto is not currency because currencies need a stable value. It is not an investment because investing requires a productive asset or something of actual value. The people who got in early and got out a little while ago may have gotten rich. Everyone who got in late is going to lose. That's how Ponzi schemes work.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Exactly!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Then there are people like me who are kicking themselves for not putting in just a $1000 into bitcoin back around 2008 when bitcoin was $30 each which was what one guy paid for his pizza.

I'm sure that sucker is kicking himself too. That makes me feel better now.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
^^^^ Exactly!

Just wait till Uncle Sam rolls out that new programmable digital currency. It will be a real hoot. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Just because something is new doesn’t mean it’s better Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Then there are people like me who are kicking themselves for not putting in just a $1000 into bitcoin back around 2008 when bitcoin was $30 each which was what one guy paid for his pizza.

I have a buddy who was buying as much as he could afford when it was in the low hundreds, swearing that it'd make him rich. I told him he was foolish. He cashed out in the mid50K range, laughing all the way to the bank. He made millions.

Me? Kicking myself in the ass? Yeah...just a little bit.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And just because it's down doesn't mean it's dead.

It got pumped up by the fed pumping out cheap cash. Now's the fed is starting, or at least threatening, to pull the chain on money supply. That stopped the party, at least for now.

The Fed wants to calm down inflation. That requires causing a recession. But once in the recession, they'll open up the money spigot again. That may start the party back up.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a related note, is NFT an abbreviation for "New Format Tulip"?

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
NFT: Non-Fungible Token

Here is an article from Forbes about them.

At the risk of sounding over-skeptical, it seems to me like an imaginary product often purchased with imaginary currency. Confused But maybe that's because I just don't understand it all well enough.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Just wait till Uncle Sam rolls out that new programmable digital currency. It will be a real hoot. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

That's right. Total control. Trying to buy a gun, or anything else they don't want you to have or to support, transaction declined.

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I have a buddy who was buying as much as he could afford when it was in the low hundreds, swearing that it'd make him rich. I told him he was foolish. He cashed out in the mid50K range, laughing all the way to the bank. He made millions.

Me? Kicking myself in the ass? Yeah...just a little bit.

Go ahead and kick yourself for not betting it all on the 80:1 winner of the Kentucky Derby. Same thing, more or less. Hindsight is 20:20. The people that just lost 98% are kicking themselves too.

There are many get-rich-quick schemes out there, and some people do get rich, but most do not. It has nothing to do with wisdom or good decision making. It's just luck. But the risk/return tradeoff is such that you are much more likely to lose than win. Proper investing in highly diversified assets (actual assets) is the only that that works in the long term and balances risk and return appropriately.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
On a related note, is NFT an abbreviation for "New Format Tulip"?

I think so, and you can toast to it with the new finance cocktail, The South Sea Bubble. What could be better?

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

quote:

Go ahead and kick yourself for not betting it all on the 80:1 winner of the Kentucky Derby. Same thing, more or less. Hindsight is 20:20. The people that just lost 98% are kicking themselves too.

There are many get-rich-quick schemes out there, and some people do get rich, but most do not. It has nothing to do with wisdom or good decision making. It's just luck. But the risk/return tradeoff is such that you are much more likely to lose than win. Proper investing in highly diversified assets (actual assets) is the only that that works in the long term and balances risk and return appropriately.

Umm... $1000 back then for me wasn't all that I had. I would be surprised if anyone bet all on Rich Strike either. It's not about getting rich quickly but recognizing an opportunity. It's not luck since no one is betting on just a random roll of the dice.

If you have a sure fire recipe for proper investing in highly diversified assets that you've proven for yourself, then please do share. Telling people to invest in highly diversified assets is the same as telling them to buy low and sell high.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post