SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency Food
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency Food Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
A bucket or two of the freeze-dried salt sodium rich foods is fine. It's a start. 1-2 buckets is probably plenty.

Realistically, look at what your family eats, and what you think you'll eat in whatever scenario you think most likely. What's your plan to boil water? Do you have a pressure pot to make beans and rice? Get a little aluminum stove-top pressure cooker. They're typically $20-30. Look at beans, rice, and dehydrated/shelf stable vegetable soup mixes (bulk dried veggies). Then start adding spices.

For bug-in, which should be your primary food stash location, try to find versions of meals that your family will eat, in shelf-stable formats. Canned meats, dried pasta, canned cheese or powdered cheese, flour, sugar, salt pepper, etc. For a 3-month supply, you have it easy. Just buy what you normally buy, and rotate it. 3 months requires nearly zero special storage.

I'm in a mode where I've been making purchases with the intent of buying food for the rest of my life. I figure I'm going to be locked out of the monetary system in the next few years, and I'm planning for it. My storage techniques are a bit more long term, and the type of stuff I'm stocking up on is meant to creat self-sustaining, continuing return. So...seeds, wheat berries, beans, sugar, salt...stored in 30-day increments, with "forever" in mind. Our food supplies are centered around the kinds of meals we like to eat, forever goods to supplement meat and other protein sources. Rabbits and chickens when managed carefully are an unlimited food source, easy to care for and feed. Both can be easily flavored into a wide variety of tastes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using my Harvest Right freeze-drying machine for over a year now, and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. The food I make with it is delicious and seemingly more filling (concentrated flavor and nutrients) than "regular" food. The food I make also tastes much better than the Mountain House freeze-dried food I used to stockpile. In addition to freeze-drying a wide assortment of entrees and fruit, I've made freeze dried veggies, fruit, and smoothie snacks for my 2 year old granddaughters - which they love. There is a bit of a learning curve with freeze-drying. You want to use thick mylar bags, and you want to have your Harvest Right machine in an environment where it won't get above 75 degrees - otherwise it takes longer to run a cycle. Learning how long you need to freeze-dry trays full of food in order to make everything absolutely bone dry is important. But once you have figured this out, you'll feel much better about your relative preparedness for power outages and other unexpected events where you'll need emergency food supplies. As a touchpoint for prepping, I can fit 30 complete freeze dried meals for 2 people into a 30" x 14" waterproof zippered duffel bag, for rapid bug out transport.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post