SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The iconic Azure Window of Malta collapsed this morning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The iconic Azure Window of Malta collapsed this morning Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Mother Nature will not be denied.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/ar...-gone-forever.641810

The Azure Window is lost and gone forever
'It is as we never had an Azure Window'

Updated 2.39pm -

The Azure Window has collapsed and it is not just the top part which has fallen off - even the stacks have gone.

Roger Chessell, a Xagħra resident, was at Dwejra when the window collapsed at about 9.40am, having gone to take pictures of the storm.

“There was a big raging sea beneath the window,” he told the Times of Malta.

“Suddenly, the arch collapsed into the sea with a loud whoomph, throwing up a huge spray. By the time the spray had faded, the stack had gone too."

In a press conference, Environment Minister Jose Herrera said several studies had shown that no man-made intervention could have prevented the collapse.

Gozo Minister Anton Refalo likened the event to "losing a part of yourself" but was keen to stress that Gozo had a lot to offer apart from the Azure Window.

Tourism Minister Edward Zammit Lewis described the window as a marketing asset that had now been lost, but expressed confidence that Gozitan tourism would weather the blow.

Strong winds
Strong gale force winds hit Malta yesterday, even leading Gozo Channel to suspend its services.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The Azure Window is a star in Game of Thrones and Clash of the Titans (1981).
George R.R. Martin has been heard saying "Not me this time! I swear!"

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Lucky no one was standing on it! Eek

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:\

Mother Nature will not be denied.

Indeed.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I assume no one was standing on the thing when it collapsed.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they were standing on it, it was a message from God: "Get thee to the gym!"

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2105 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
My daughter visited Malta and that site a few years ago. She messaged me today that she thought it was very sad that it was now gone. Me, never been to Malta.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I think we have a member from Malta that posts sometimes. Looks like it was a pretty good storm.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I can cross that off my bucket list. Frown

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Never been there, but it looked beautiful.

In some ways reminded me on Natural Bridge, Va, sans the ocean, much bigger however.

Sorry its gone, what took Nature millions of years to create, Nature took away in less than a minute probably.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The whole thing collapsed? Not just the thin center section? It must have been seriously undermined on the far end, and actually, you can see some of that.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Ban erosion.

This reminds me to get to Arches NP before some more of those things succumb to earthly forces.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

There are a number of similar features like this. New Zealand has the "Hole in the Rock" inside the Bay of Islands.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

There are a number of similar features like this. New Zealand has the "Hole in the Rock" inside the Bay of Islands.
Volcano National Park in Hawaii, Grotto Azzurra on the isle of capri in Italy, etc

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
As they say in boxing, "Father Time is undefeated."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flippin' hell - you really find everything here on Sigforum :-)
It was one heck of a storm and was gusting Force 9 at one point.

Was only a matter of time really - I've seen the window grow bigger and bigger over the years. In fact, a few years ago (about 15 I guess) when I was a diving instructor, we used to dive underneath it - stopped that when I noticed the large number of very big boulders with zero seaweed on them piling up on the seabed - didn't want to get splatted by a falling chunk of real estate.

Over the past year people were not allowed to walk on it (though quite a few did) in order to minimise erosion, but nothing could have held up to that big blow we had last week. I was hoping it would last for another decade or so, but it as not to be - feels like part of my childhood and lots of great romantic moments (super place to take a lady) has disappeared, but there is still lots to see in Gozo (I much prefer it to Malta and want to retire there).

The movie world lost one helluva backdrop!

Posts: 277 | Location: Malta, Europe | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt badly when The Old Man of the Mountain collapsed in New Hampshire in 2003. We studied "The Great Stone Face" by Washington Irving in junior high.

Posts: 1504 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
I felt badly when The Old Man of the Mountain collapsed in New Hampshire in 2003. We studied "The Great Stone Face" by Washington Irving in junior high.

I was going to mention that. I'm glad I saw it in person before the collapse.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post