SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Parents pushing back against 'woke culture' at their kids school
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parents pushing back against 'woke culture' at their kids school Login/Join 
posted
Christopher Rufo continues to expose the flaws of Critical Race Theory and how its being implemented through your kid's education. The push-back is coming, some places will be more aggressive than others however, it appears parents are starting to be pro-active and not allow educators to get away with one-sided, slanted narratives.

Woke Elementary
quote:
Woke Elementary
A Cupertino elementary school forces third-graders to deconstruct their racial identities, then rank themselves according to their “power and privilege.”
Christopher F. Rufo
January 13, 2021

An elementary school in Cupertino, California—a Silicon Valley community with a median home price of $2.3 million—recently forced a class of third-graders to deconstruct their racial identities, then rank themselves according to their “power and privilege.”

Based on whistleblower documents and parents familiar with the session, a third-grade teacher at R.I. Meyerholz Elementary School began the lesson on “social identities” during a math class. The teacher asked all students to create an “identity map,” listing their race, class, gender, religion, family structure, and other characteristics. The teacher explained that the students live in a “dominant culture” of “white, middle class, cisgender, educated, able-bodied, Christian, English speaker[s],” who, according to the lesson, “created and maintained” this culture in order “to hold power and stay in power.”

Next, reading from This Book Is Antiracist, the students learned that “those with privilege have power over others” and that “folx who do not benefit from their social identities, who are in the subordinate culture, have little to no privilege and power.” As an example, the reading states that “a white, cisgender man, who is able-bodied, heterosexual, considered handsome and speaks English has more privilege than a Black transgender woman.” In some cases, because of the principle of intersectionality, “there are parts of us that hold some power and other parts that are oppressed,” even within a single individual.

Following this discussion, the teacher had the students deconstruct their own intersectional identities and “circle the identities that hold power and privilege” on their identity maps, ranking their traits according to the hierarchy. In a related assignment, the students were asked to write short essays describing which aspects of their identities “hold power and privilege” and which do not. The students were expected to produce “at least one full page of writing.” As an example, the presentation included a short paragraph about transgenderism and nonbinary sexuality.

The lesson caused an immediate uproar among Meyerholz Elementary parents. “We were shocked,” said one parent, who agreed to speak with me on condition of anonymity. “They were basically teaching racism to my eight-year-old.” This parent, who is Asian-American, rallied a group of a half dozen families to protest the school’s intersectionality curriculum. The group met with the school principal and demanded an end to the racially divisive instruction. After a tense meeting, the administration agreed to suspend the program. (When reached for comment, Jenn Lashier, the principal of Meyerholz Elementary, said that the training was not part of the “formal curricula, but the process of daily learning facilitated by a certified teacher.”)

The irony is that, despite being 94 percent nonwhite, Meyerholz Elementary is one of the most privileged schools in America. The median household income in Cupertino is $172,000, and nearly 80 percent of residents have a bachelor’s degree or higher. At the school, where the majority of families are Asian-American, the students have exceptionally high rates of academic achievement and the school consistently ranks in the top 1 percent of all elementary schools statewide. In short, nobody at Meyerholz is oppressed, and the school’s high-achieving parents know that teaching intersectionality instead of math is a waste of time—and potentially dangerous.

One parent told me that critical race theory was reminiscent of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. “[It divides society between] the oppressor and the oppressed, and since these identities are inborn characteristics people cannot change, the only way to change it is via violent revolution,” the parent said. “Growing up in China, I had learned it many times. The outcome is the family will be ripped apart; husband hates wife, children hate parents. I think it is already happening here.”

The small fight at Meyerholz reflects a larger development: for the first time, Asian-Americans on the West Coast have become politically mobilized. In 2019, Asian-Americans ran a successful initiative campaign against affirmative action in Washington State; in 2020, Asian-Americans ran a similar campaign in California, winning by an astonishing 57 percent to 43 percent margin. In both cases, they defended the principles of meritocracy, individual rights, and equality under the law—and roundly defeated a super-coalition of the states’ progressive politicians, activists, universities, media, and corporations.
The stakes are high for the Asian-American community. For progressives insisting on the narrative of “white supremacy” and “systemic racism,” Asian-Americans are the “inconvenient minority”: they significantly outperform all other racial groups, including whites, in terms of academic achievement, college admissions, household income, family stability, and other key measures. Affirmative action and other critical race theory-based programs would devastate their admissions to universities and harm their futures.

At Meyerholz Elementary, the Asian-American families are on high alert for critical race theory in the classroom. Since their initial victory, they have begun to consider campaigning against the school board. “We think some of our school board members are [critical race theory] activists and they must go,” said one parent. The capture of our public institutions by progressives obsessed by race and privilege deserves opposition at every level. The parents of Cupertino have joined the fight.

This article is part of an ongoing series on critical race theory in American schools.

Related to this, is the idea that Critical Race Theory is merely a white vs everybody else narrative and the prescription is to be bigoted against white kids. Over in the UK, an MP actually stood up and stated as such

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I never had kids. I'm glad. If I had to deal with this shit I'd likely do something that would get me arrested, especially in the current political environment.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have said this before. Almost all of the characteristics described as "white" - hard work, being on time, education, delayment of gratification, the nuclear family - are also characteristics of East Asia. Given the significant differences in European and East Asian culture, this is not a case of Europeans influencing Asian culture, but a reflection of what characteristics contribute to success, regardless of culture. East Asians outperform white Americans in every area of success - educational attainment and performance, income, wealth, etc. Do they benefit from "Asian Privilege"? They did not adopt "white American" characteristics to succeed here - their success is due to the application of their own cultural values.

Even in Europe there are significant differences in culture. The most successful countries, like Germany, have the characteristics of success, whereas the underperforming countries have less of them. Simply being on time for work, meetings, project schedules is a huge differentiator. Countries where people are perpetually late for everything shows in many other areas - infrastructure, traffic, economics - pretty much everything.

And in China the CCP actively promotes the nuclear family as the basis of a stable society. They encourage marriage and family, even organizing large scale speed dating functions to get young people to marry instead of stay single until their 30's. Having children out of wedlock is illegal and there is a large fine for it. I know of cases where illegitimate children are kept off the books, or claimed to be children of a young unwed woman's parents to avoid the penalty. It is interesting to me that the largest marxist/communist country in the world values family foremost, while western marxists want to destroy it.

Posts: 4724 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Pure communist programming

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parents have the biggest roles in teaching their chidren culutral values by how they act and how they speak to their kids about these issues. My children have the same values as me, not those of College professors or elementary school teachers.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
That "Black, transgendered woman" is without power not because she is Black and female, but because she is mentally ill.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I used to live in that specific area. I’d have shot myself by now if I’d stayed. Used to very nice until it became liberal China ground zero.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My preferred pronoun is Your High Holiness, Infallible and omnipotent, generous benefactor and leader, bringer of light in the darkness of men's souls, keeper of the flame of truth and the way, exalted Lord of all.

And I expect every teacher and school administrator to refer to me that way at all times. And how dare you limit me to a "bathroom" of any kind, I shall defecate where I see fit, and you will not have offices because that's classist and racist and sexist and istist and I will not do homework because that's a construct of the patriarchy designed to keep me down and hurt my self image and self worth.

This is why we are sending my son to private high school next year.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Nothing like getting them started early. Roll Eyes
quote:
Based on whistleblower documents and parents familiar with the session, a third-grade teacher at R.I. Meyerholz Elementary School began the lesson on “social identities” during a math class. The teacher asked all students to create an “identity map,” listing their race, class, gender, religion, family structure, and other characteristics.
Partially rhetorical question: in the third grade? At that age their permanent teeth haven't even come in yet, let alone the mental development to understand or process this.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is the least of the crazy but

"folx"?

What the fux is up with that?

Teacher needs to take remedial spelling.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. Our two youngest are in private school. My wife started homeschooling the two oldest this year. We will probably be homeschooling all of them before too long, because the private school that we send them to is hiring a lot of administrators out of the public school system, and they are implementing a lot of public-school type policies. I don't think they understand that the reason we send our kids there is because it's NOT a public school.

It's alright by me...homeschooling them all will just save me money and we won't have to waste 2 hours every day driving across town to drop them off and pick them up.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though I do not live in Richmond anymore I still keep current on everything that is going on because I am trying to move back to Virginia.

Anyhoo..
Edit...

I was reading the Richmond Times Disgrace and saw that Governor Carpetbagger was drafting/creating announced the members of advisory committee to research school curriculum regarding inclusive, culturally relevant learning practices in Virginia's public schools.

I also read that Gov Carpetbagger announced that students in 16 Virginia school divisions will be able to increase their understanding of African American history by participating in a new high school-level elective course this academic year.

I have attended various lectures (undergrad/grad school)regarding the History of Africa and its people and I find it quite interesting/fascinating/disturbing.

I can guarantee you that it will be woke BS with the focus being centered around how it is all the white mans fault and how they are still victims and need reparations.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I used to live in that specific area. I’d have shot myself by now if I’d stayed. Used to very nice until it became liberal China ground zero.

"Dublin, Berkeley, San Lorenzo,
Cupertino, San Jose!"

It's everywhere. We just heard about this because the parents there fought back. Any odds on whether we hear about Santa Clara next?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Even though I do not live in Richmond anymore I still keep current on everything that is going on because I am trying to move back to Virginia.

Anyhoo..
Edit...

I was reading the Richmond Times Disgrace and saw that Governor Carpetbagger announced the members of an advisory committee to research school curriculums regarding inclusive, culturally relevant learning practices in Virginia's public schools.

I also read that Gov Carpetbagger announced that students in 16 Virginia school divisions will be able to increase their understanding of African American history by participating in a new high school-level elective course this academic year.

I have attended various lectures (undergrad/grad school)regarding the History of Africa and its people and I find it quite interesting/fascinating/disturbing.

I can guarantee you that it will be woke BS with the focus being centered around how it is all the white mans fault and how they are still victims and need reparations.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Parents have the biggest roles in teaching their chidren culutral values by how they act and how they speak to their kids about these issues. My children have the same values as me, not those of College professors or elementary school teachers.

THIS!!!!

Every level of community and government authority from the city level on up needs to be challenged and purged of the BS nonsense in the original post!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Should also start pushing back on the system by arguing that property taxes collected for a non functioning school should be returned to those forced to do home schooling.

A few good lawsuits might put a kink in their plans.

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under the incoming administration this will become exponentially worse.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Dublin, Berkeley, San Lorenzo, Cupertino, San Jose”. I remember that jingle. For the life of me I can’t remember what they were advertising though. I also remember “98.5, the beast of the bay, I KOME while I drive”. Which was pretty darn salty for back then. lol

Posts: 7490 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The Asians will keep voting democRat while being too stupid to realize the people they're voting for are looking to subject them worse than whites.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

In my opinion, if you send your child to private school, the portion of your property tax that goes to fund public education should be exempt. Why should people be forced to fund that shit?

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Red:
If a person doesn’t have school age children and/or use public schools they should be exempt. Don’t get me started on property taxes.

I don't have children and never have had children and neither has my wife yet we pay property taxes that include money for schools.

I understand the argument that we're helping ourselves as those kids will go out and stimulate the economy when they graduate, pay taxes, pay into SS and so on, but I still don't like having to pay.

Here in Arizona you can move into a Senior (55+) community and if you do you're exempt from the school taxes but who wants to live in a community with nothing but a bunch of old farts? And I am one of them myself.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post