SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    homade chili , how hot ? poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

homade chili , how hot ? poll Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I don't make my own, but I sometimes add chili powder and cayenne pepper to what I buy in a can. (I miss my mom's chili!)

flashguy

You should go to local farmers market and get some real and fresh peppers
That canned stuff is a waste of effort.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
We just made chili last night for dinner, and it was at least an 8 even my eyes were sweating

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like two tide pods in mine for just the right amount of spice!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I like it at a medium heat...I voted "6 or 7"...I've had it before that it was so hot ("10") that it was uncomfortable to eat (the next 24 hours were uncomfortable too...if you know what I mean Eek) and so mild that it didn't taste right.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Not near as hot as I used to fix it. Prostatitis and a history of bleeding duodenal ulcer will change your desire for spicy foods.
I've lost my appetite just thinking about that!

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind if my eyes water some, things may burn on the way out too.

Around here we usually have mild chili, then adjust individually as desired with peppers & sauce.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
most of the time i like 8+ sometimes i like 5-6 i just got done putting together a bach of 3 bean chili stew this should be 6-8

That looks good. And you called it "3 bean chili stew". "Chili stew" for chili that has beans in it... I wonder if that would satisfy the chili-has-no-beans crowd. I'm thinking it would (or should). But then, what fun would that be?

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Make your nose run? Blister paint off a pipe?

Come on, for Pete's sake. I want to enjoy my food, not undergo some form of torture.

3 -4 at max was my vote. And no, I'm not very tolerant of hot spicy stuff.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My chili varies as I use fresh peppers. My standard chili is 1 lb of steak cut into small cubes, 1 lb of chorizo, one onion, 1 large or 2 small poblano peppers, 3 habanero peppers, and a couple of chipotles, plus a number of other ingredients. It ranges from "pretty warm" to "near thai" depending on the strength of the habaneros.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I don't really measure anything and the heat level varies but I'd say it's always around an 8, depending on what peppers I happen to be using. We eat spicy food pretty much everyday.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Make your nose run? Blister paint off a pipe?

Come on, for Pete's sake. I want to enjoy my food, not undergo some form of torture.

3 -4 at max was my vote. And no, I'm not very tolerant of hot spicy stuff.

+1 to this. I like it a little spicy but don't want it burning my mouth and other body parts up.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I used to like things really, really, spicy. Now I tone it down some; if it's too spicy, I can't find my lips for a couple hours.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I voted 6 or 7 as I make mine hot enough to make my bald spot sweat, but not too hot to enjoy. Although what is hot to me is different than what is hot to others as I will eat raw jalapeños with my breakfast.

I plan to enter a chili contest at work and will have to hold back on how hot I make it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just made a pot of venison Andouille chili Saturday. I add green chilis along with the usual ingredients and shoot for 6-7 hot. Sweat, runny nose is expected. Flaming anus is not, but some times it happens.

I prefer one-way hot rather than two-way hot.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer it to be very warm with no beans, the wife likes beans and no heat whatsoever, so I normally just make slightly warm and add a good helping of Texas Pete to mine.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being Indian, especially from the North-East, where Ghost Chilis grow wild, I am used to pretty hot food. But, when I make chili, I keep it at the 6 or 7 level. First, it is OK so that my friends and family can eat it, and if I need to I can use Ghost Pepper hot sauce, if I want it hotter. I use Dave's Insanity brand hot sauces.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AITG- where in Michigan are you at? You should arrange to stop by my place sometime, I will cook you some hot, Indian food!!!!! (I am in Ann Arbor)

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
My chili varies as I use fresh peppers. My standard chili is 1 lb of steak cut into small cubes, 1 lb of chorizo, one onion, 1 large or 2 small poblano peppers, 3 habanero peppers, and a couple of chipotles, plus a number of other ingredients. It ranges from "pretty warm" to "near thai" depending on the strength of the habaneros.

A man after my own heart. Based on the ingredients that would be about an 7 or 8 on my scale. Habaneros have a nice fruity hot. But they are pretty hot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I use Dave's Insanity brand hot sauces.

For the folks that have never tried Dave's Insanity Sauce, you better be a REAL PEPPER HEAD!!!! This stuff took me to my knees, and I love hot food.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
n heart. Based on the ingredients that would be about an 7 or 8 on my scale. Habaneros have a nice fruity hot. But they are pretty hot.

Fresh Habaneros are a beautiful thing, but around here they are REALLY variable in heat. They can be really hot, or insanely, madly, stupid hot. Even if the peppers grew right next to each other on the same plant, there is not real way to know until you taste it. They add a bright citrusy note as well as heat. The chipotles add a smokey heat. The poblanos are for that "green" taste. When they are in season I will replace some of the Poblano with Hatch peppers.

I'll add 2 of my secret ingredients. Freshly ground cumin (cumin loses flavor the longer its stored, and it tends to be stored a LONG time in spice racks) and 10 oz of whatever the best, most flavorful beer in my fridge at the time is. I've also been known to deglaze the pan with top shelf bourbon after browning the meat.

And now I want to make a pot of chili...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post