SIGforum
California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3100087584

October 10, 2021, 02:47 PM
Jelly
California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
Going to be interesting to see how this will effect the price of fighting forest fires and lawncare prices in California.

California took another step toward its goal of ridding the state of all gas-powered engines thanks to a new bill signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday.

The new law will ban the sale of all off-road, gas-powered engines, including generators, lawn equipment, pressure washers, chainsaws, weed trimmers, and even golf carts. Under the new law, these machines must be zero-emissions, meaning they will have to be either battery-powered or plug-in, according to the Los Angeles Times.

"This is a pretty modest approach to trying to limit the massive amounts of pollution that this equipment emits, not to mention the health impact on the workers who are using it constantly," Marc Berman, the bill's author, told the outlet. "It’s amazing how people react when they learn how much this equipment pollutes, and how much smog forming and climate changing emissions that small off-road engine equipment creates."

The new law is expected to affect nearly 50,000 small businesses. California's budget includes $30 million to help professional landscapers and gardeners quit using gas-powered equipment, but even then, the budget is still not capable of bearing the full financial burden.

The National Association of Landscape Professionals also noted how zero-emission commercial equipment is both more expensive and less efficient than gas-powered equipment. A gas-powered riding lawn mower costs between $7,000-$11,000 while the zero-emissions version costs more than twice that amount, according to the outlet.

The new rule will be implemented by January 2024, or as soon as regulators determine is "feasible," whichever date is later.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cal...l-off-174600432.html
October 10, 2021, 02:49 PM
jimmy123x
WHERE do they expect to get the electricity to run all of this stuff? Their electric grid is already overwhelmed.
October 10, 2021, 02:59 PM
slosig
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
WHERE do they expect to get the electricity to run all of this stuff? Their electric grid is already overwhelmed.

The key mistake in your question is using the word “think” in a sentence about these PFers (think South Park). The Ftards running Kommiefornia do not think, they feel.

Sadly, the same is true of far, far too many voters here, which explains while this state is completely and utterly scrod. Sigh…. Frown
October 10, 2021, 03:02 PM
64dodge
So in the event of a power outage I guess you will need an electric generator to produce electricity, is that correct?
October 10, 2021, 03:06 PM
parabellum
Had enough yet, Californians?
October 10, 2021, 03:08 PM
YooperSigs
I figured something monumentally stupid was in the works for California after the Newsome recall effort failed. Here it is!
Reap what you sow.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
October 10, 2021, 03:10 PM
Voshterkoff
I say we are getting pretty close to the point where good people will no longer follow the law.
October 10, 2021, 03:13 PM
airsoft guy
Good time to start a business just over the state line in Nevada, selling go carts and weed whackers, I reckon.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
October 10, 2021, 03:17 PM
Balzé Halzé
Newsom recently signed into law this lunacy as well:

California mandates gender-neutral toy aisles for large retailers

California is the first state to adopt such a law. LGBTQ advocates have pointed out that marketing methods using pink and blue hues "pressure children to conform to gender stereotypes," AP notes.

https://www.axios.com/californ...06-40cf183e6179.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
October 10, 2021, 03:37 PM
cas
No doubt NY will follow. Whomever is pulling the strings in the Dem party will have their new puppet in Albany follow as soon as possible. They got her to pass the California like "no more gas automobile law" soon after taking the job from the Albany creeper.

There are bigger forces at work here than just silly state level libs.
October 10, 2021, 03:43 PM
thumperfbc
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I figured something monumentally stupid was in the works for California after the Newsome recall effort failed. Here it is!
Reap what you sow.

I think they’re just getting warmed up.
October 10, 2021, 03:49 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
So in the event of a power outage I guess you will need an electric generator to produce electricity, is that correct?

Correct.

When I was about ten years old or so I developed a perpetual motion machine that was a generator run by an electric motor powered from the generator. Seemed simple--like this new law.

I should have patented it. With this move in California I'd be rich! Californians would be beating a path to my doorstep

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
October 10, 2021, 04:02 PM
mbinky
Looks like about 62% of Californians voted to keep Newsome.

I hope they enjoy their battery operated generators. Not that they'll be able to charge them with all the rolling brownouts.

Oh well.
October 10, 2021, 04:06 PM
sigcrazy7
If California really cared about pollution, they would ban all drive-throughs, but that would piss off too many people at once. Instead they go after smaller groups, like truckers or landscapers. I suppose it doesn't matter anyway. It's only a matter of time before landscaping is banned anyway. Lake Powell and Lake Meade are nearly empty.

On a side note, it's projected that Lake Powell may have to stop generating power this year. That would be a huge loss to the power grid. Good luck with all those EVs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
October 10, 2021, 04:11 PM
Jupiter
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
No doubt NY will follow. Whomever is pulling the strings in the Dem party will have their new puppet in Albany follow as soon as possible. They got her to pass the California like "no more gas automobile law" soon after taking the job from the Albany creeper.

There are bigger forces at work here than just silly state level libs.

Better keep an eye on Texas in the next several years. All those California voters moving to Texas will vote in the same stupid fucks that destroyed CA.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

October 10, 2021, 04:28 PM
sigmonkey
Joe Dirt:
So your gonna' tell me that you don't have no go-karts, no mini-bikes, or Jet-skis?

Kicking Wing:
No.

Joe Dirt:
Oh come on man. You got no generators, weed whackers, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, golf carts, pressure washers, street saws, or leaf blowers?

Kicking Wing:
No, I don't.

Joe Dirt:
You're gonna stand there, owning a hardware store, and tell me you don't have no snow machines, no snow blowers, garden tillers, grain augers, post hole diggers, 4-wheelers, ultra-lites, wood chippers, with or without the log splitter, or one single gas powered water pump?

Kicking Wing:
No... because electric and battery powered are the only ones I like.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
October 10, 2021, 04:31 PM
patw
I think they should also make a law or maybe free states can, to not allow people from those states into a conservative state and try to change it and make it like their failed state. The crap laws that comes out of California are truly sickening.
October 10, 2021, 04:33 PM
konata88
When you go camping and usually bring a small generator, what are you now supposed to bring?

With less gas and more electricity draw, I’m guessing more power outages. House generators are a no go? No more generac? What will hospitals use for back up power?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
October 10, 2021, 04:36 PM
ElToro
I think my decision to evacuate that state a few months ago was smarter by the day. Unbelievable
October 10, 2021, 04:39 PM
OKCGene
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:

Yeah buddy, goobernor nuisance, try explaining to granny or grandpa, or grandkids, who are at home on a medical device that keeps them alive when the commercial power goes out.

No portable generators = death.