SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Input on 2016 audi a6 3.0?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Input on 2016 audi a6 3.0? Login/Join 
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted
I'm thinking of getting a 2016 A6. Any of you own one who might talk about what you dislike about them? What you think bothers you even if its trivial.

What the maintenance costs are like? What I should keep my eyes out for.

I've only owned domestic or more affordable cars and not sure what to expect when it comes to service costs.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
I have driven an Audi TT for the last ten years and it is a wonderful driving car. Great traction and handling. Maintenance... mostly routine EXCEPT if anything breaks! ABS controller $3263, radio amplifier $1200, and don’t even ask about the cost to repair a broken dual clutch gearbox... just junk the car. Audi dealer service is $160/hour in my area.
Having said all that I enjoyed, and still enjoy every minute of driving it.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I had an Audi A6 3.0 (2012).

I would walk before I would get another Audi.

I won't bore you with my horror story with my dealer and Audi HQ, but will just note that maintenance gets really expensive.

I needed new brake pads and called my friend who is a Lexus mechanic. He told me that you need special equipment for Audis that he did not have. I called a local shop and they said no as well - told me they could not justify the cost of the specialized equipment and did not work on Audis. So, I had to take my car to an Audi dealer for brake pads. Cost: $750.

I had relatively new tires, but ran over a nail and had to get a new tire. Except, I was told that you have to replace all 4 tires because of the all wheel drive system. Cost: $1,000+.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go CPO with a warranty should you opt for one. Audi’s depreciate pretty fast as well, wouldn’t expect much for resale down the road.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never own an Audi out of warranty unless you hate money.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not entirely apples-apples, but a lady in my office has an 18 A6 2.0T Quattro & it's been trouble free so far, but it splits daily driver duty with her Lexus GS350.

I do agree CPO is the way to go. Did that with my Merc C300

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I didn't have an A6 but had a 2014 A4 until recently. I have no complaints about the car - in fact the quality was the best I've ever seen in a mass production vehicle. My only issue was the maintenance costs. I never had anything other than routine maintenance but even the oil changes were $145. As it got up in miles it became apparent that it was going to be more than I wanted to spend once things started wearing out so I traded it.

They are FUN to drive and I really enjoyed it while I had it, but it's an expensive car to maintain overall. If you have the wallet then I say go for it.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6736 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never go back to the dealer unless it is under warranty. Find a local, respectable shop that works on Dub's and Audi's to do your work. Better yet, do it yourself. Get a Bentley repair manual, most are on CD now, and do the work yourself. You may need some special tools, but you may be able to borrow them from enthusiasts in your area. Check out AudiZine.com and audiworld.com Lots of threads there that are about upkeep and issues.

Do your homework and don't listen to everyone. Make an educated, informed decision for yourself.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Do your homework and don't listen to everyone. Make an educated, informed decision for yourself.

^^^ That Right There ^^^

Find some forums and educate yourself on the car. When I bought my first Porsche the internet was not so prevalent. I learned the hard way about things I should have checked for.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned two older Audi's.

Problems involved - Transmission/clutch, brake pads/rotors, power steering pump, engine oil leaks and numerous electrical bugs.

I traded up to a Honda Accord. In 9 years - two sets of tires, one set rear brake pads and three batteries.

The Audi is a wonderful long distance road car, but.....

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

I traded up to a Honda Accord. In 9 years - two sets of tires, one set rear brake pads and three batteries.

The Audi is a wonderful long distance road car, but.....

Ha! I did the same thing. I traded in the Audi for a Honda Accord. I couldn't be happier with it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I love the looks of the Audi A6, A7, A5...but based on Consumer Reports reliability data as well as comments on SF, bought a new 2018 Accord and couldn’t be happier.

Posts: 18079 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I just don't see how the quality, fit and finish of the honda scratch the same itch that the audi does. Nor does it have the 330 horse and I'm not sure if the honda has AWD.

I wish there was a car that looks as good, has the power but was more economical then the a6.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That’s why Audi sells so many cars.

Posts: 18079 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post