SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Panther caught on local trail cam?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panther caught on local trail cam? Login/Join 
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted
Check out the front page of the local newspaper for June 14,2017 and see what you think(nganews.com)

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell exactly what it is. Does seem to look like one.

Posts: 2692 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Cougar of some variety. They are the only native North American big cat and in the East, though not extinct, they are very rare and have very reduced ranges. However, without a good way to measure the size, that's just a guess.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70's when I got out of college my dad worked for International paper as a forester and he belonged to their employee hunting club in south Baldwin county Alabama. There was one plot that was called the panther plot, it was way back in the woods, down a just about UN driveable two track road(espically after a rain). Several times I was at that plot when just about dark there was a sound like a woman screaming bloody murder comming from the swamp. Didn't take long to get back to the truck on those nights, even dragging a deer you could make it in sprinter like time.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
How is that different from a mountain lion? We have those around here.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have had a close encounter with a Florida Panther on my land near a state forest. They range over a very large area and it would be rare to see one in the same place twice. We see tracks or hear them every few years. You can't tell the difference between a Florida Panther and a cougar on sight-the difference is mostly where they live. It could very well be that this is a mountain lion as the panther is endangered and conservation folks have imported western mountain lions in an attempt to freshen the gene pool. It is my understanding that the released cats have tracking collars.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Yep. TWO cougars.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. That's what I saw too.

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
"painter" as the mountain folks might say.

The state tells us there are no large cats in Georgia, save for the occasional florida panther that wanders into s. georgia. I don't buy it.

There are a lot of "sightings," obviously tough to verify, but I don't think there are that many people just making stuff up. My father saw one on a golf course in metro atlanta about 20 years ago and I don't believe for a second he is making it up. He has hunted all of his life and knows the difference in a 20 pound bobcat and a 60-70 lb panther, too.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
This story is from a few years ago.

<https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-06-18/real-life-incredible-journey-one-3-year-old-mountain-lion>

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 212 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post