SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Veterinarian Did Not Agree With My Logic
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Veterinarian Did Not Agree With My Logic Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
  • Long hair? Not sure what you mean.

• Yeah. Long, as in long, and... Like the difference between a hippie and a Marine Smile

Of our three current cats: One is a long hair, the newest is a short hair and the middle one is somewhere in-between.

Reason the question was asked is long hair cats require regular brushing. Cats seem to cycle through fur constantly--especially long hair cats. If you don't brush out the shedding fur, they'll ingest it as they clean themselves. Result: Furballs. Furballs result in one of two things: Cat coughing them back up or stopped-up cat. One is a mess. The other can get expensive. (See below.)

quote:
  • My logic, which is what cracked up the doc and his assistants, is that if she is not gaining weight she must be pooping. Otherwise, if she is not pooping, she will be accumulating and getting bigger and heavier.

• Made me laugh, too.

No, she won't "back up." She'll simply stop eating. If they cannot eliminate, either type, they'll stop eating and drinking, toxicosis will set in, cat will die.

My wife regularly analyzes our cats' elimination patterns and... uh... characteristics. I don't ask questions.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    When I lived in Alaska, Splash started vomiting quite often. The MF'ers at Science Diet (supposedly premium cat food) put yellow dye in the food which is "awesome" on tan carpet, and Splash goes out of her way to make it to carpet to puke. Vet suggested I try new food by introducing a little at a time:
  • 5 days - 75% old, 25% new
  • 5 days - 50% old, 50% new
  • 5 days - 25% old, 75% new

She either kept puking or refused to eat the new food. Finally, I decided to try grain free food that has no by-products (eg chicken byproduct meal) in it. The first grain free tried was Spot's Stew® Cat Grain Free Senior Chicken & Salmon, she loved it, the puking (non-hairball puking) stopped, and she has been eating this for several years now. It was available in Anchorage, Calgary, and Houston thru Petsmart, and even better it's available via Amazon subscribe & save.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23651 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
    Picture of Paragon
    posted Hide Post
    Shadow is a domestic short hair. All black, like her mom, which we have.

She is a willful little bitch, yes. Not the brightest cat, either.

The nighttime antics will be reduced if there is no positive reinforcement. Just tell her to get out and don't play with her. Pet her only when she is laying on the bed calmly.

Your wife surely knows all this.

No, she was never an outside cat.

And to you "haters", don't let V-Tail tell stories. She is a willful but playful and sweet cat. She loves affection. She also likes to be brushed.

Trouble is, she is territorial, and turned into a huge bully in the Paragon household of 5 cats. She would not allow her own mother to come out of my brother's room. She did somewhat the same to her sister (a black rumpie). But the last straw was when she and Smudge had a falling out. She bullied him to no end, and he is just a wuss. He was miserable, and so was I. Smudge is my buddy.

I tried the feliway and it did nothing. House is too small to separate them. Putting her outside was also out of the question.

She was the problem, so she had to go. A shelter was a no-go. V-Tail was nice enough to give her a trial run at taking over his home.

My cats vomit, too. Someone suggested that they are eating too fast, and to put some little balls in the food dish to slow them down. Dry food, I presume. They have gotten better since Shadow left. Hmmm.....

The offer to take her back, no questions asked, still stands.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    We have had strongly dominant cats, males, in each case, but, luckily, so far, no bullies.

We do have an existing problem that is not severe, but, we do have to stay on it: The oldest cat, a female, doesn't "know how to cat," as a friend of mine at work puts it. The other cats move to play with her, she takes it as an attack, and reacts badly. They react badly, in turn.

And so it goes. Cats are a trip.

Paragon is right about correcting behaviour. Cats can be "brought to heel." Sometimes it takes a lot of repetition and a good deal of patience. Consistency is key.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Paragon:
    Shadow is a domestic short hair. All black, like her mom, which we have.

She is a willful little bitch, yes. Not the brightest cat, either.

The nighttime antics will be reduced if there is no positive reinforcement. Just tell her to get out and don't play with her. Pet her only when she is laying on the bed calmly.

And to you "haters", don't let V-Tail tell stories. She is a willful but playful and sweet cat. She loves affection. She also likes to be brushed.

Trouble is, she is territorial, and turned into a huge bully in the Paragon household of 5 cats. She would not allow her own mother to come out of my brother's room. She did somewhat the same to her sister (a black rumpie). But the last straw was when she and Smudge had a falling out. She bullied him to no end, and he is just a wuss. He was miserable, and so was I. Smudge is my buddy.

I tried the feliway and it did nothing. House is too small to separate them. Putting her outside was also out of the question.

My cats vomit, too. Someone suggested that they are eating too fast, and to put some little balls in the food dish to slow them down. Dry food, I presume. They have gotten better since Shadow left. Hmmm.....

The offer to take her back, no questions asked, still stands.
    What do you mean, "don't let V-Tail tell stories?" If everything I said is not the absolute truth, may lightning ... wait. Is this place grounded?

Nah, I don't think Cat is eating too fast. She is pretty dainty about it. Nibbles a bit, then comes back later to nibble again. Dry food, yes. Whenever Publix has a "buy one / get one" on Meow Mix, I grab a couple of bags.

As far as taking the cat back, I'm neutral on that question, but I think you would have to fight my wife, and she's pretty tough. More than once, I have seen her deliver a lightning fast kick to head height. Fortunately there was no human target involved, but it shows what she can do.

Re the night time antics, there is absolutely no positive reinforcement. No petting, no reward for that behavior. I have thought mean thoughts to her at those times, but I just ignore her. I don't know about cats, but I do know that the dogs I have had thought being ignored was terrible punishment. I think the night time highjinks are just part of being a cat, and somebody on this forum once said "Cats are basically assholes." More often than not when she leaps onto the bed in the middle of the night she is carrying one of her toys in her mouth. I'm not sure what's going through her little pea brain, whether she thinks it's play time, or maybe she thinks she's bringing us a gift.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31379 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
    Picture of Paragon
    posted Hide Post
    She wants to play. She figures that if she is awake, you must be too.

Many times I have awakened in the morning to find a toy on the bed. Shadow or Smudge, depending on which toy it was....

She learned that toy-bringing thing from Smudge, BTW.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Nah, I don't think Cat is eating too fast. She is pretty dainty about it. Nibbles a bit, then comes back later to nibble again. Dry food, yes. Whenever Publix has a "buy one / get one" on Meow Mix, I grab a couple of bags.

I bolded a possibility of what may be your puking issue. Meow Mix is full of grains, by-product meals, and dyes. Your cat's stomach may not be tolerating it.

Ingredient list for original Meow Mix:
    quote:
    Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Animal Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Turkey By-Product Meal, Salmon Meal, Ocean Fish Meal, Phosphoric Acid, Choline Chloride, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide (Color), Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement], Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate (Source of Iron), Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Taurine, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2, Rosemary Extract.

Contrast that to the Halo grain free dry food I posted earlier in the thread:
    quote:
    Chicken, Peas, Salmon, Pea Protein, Dried Whole Eggs, Potatoes, Vegetable Broth, Pea Fiber, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Green Beans, Carrots, Alfalfa, Blueberries, Cranberries, Zucchini, Calcium Sulfate, Dl-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Inulin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Preservative), Vitamins [Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine , Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin], Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate], Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product.

The good news is they need to eat less of the higher quality food which means:
  • you don't have to scoop as much poop from the litter
  • the price differential is less than it appears.

Check these feeding guidelines out:
  • Meow Mix: 1–1 ½ cups for 10–14 lb cat
  • Halo grain free dry: 2/3 to ¾ cup for 10 to 15 pound cat

I have a 2/3 cup measuring cup and give Splash 1 level scoop per day. 95% of the time she doesn't eat the entire bowl.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23651 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Sound and Fury
    Picture of Dallas239
    posted Hide Post
    I hope things improve for Shadow. But the next time my daughter asks why she can't have a cat, I will show her this thread. Big Grin

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
    There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
    Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dallas239:
    I hope things improve for Shadow. But the next time my daughter asks why she can't have a cat, I will show her this thread. Big Grin
    Or, maybe you would like a closet cat? Nah, I probably wouldn't be able to get my wife to let it go. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31379 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    Sure V-tail blame your wife. We all believe you.....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post

Probably got this meme from the cat thread from years ago on the rant forum.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dallas239:

Cats don't necessarily behave this way.

We've got three of them in the house, right now. The main problem at night? Bentley, a male that is mostly Maine Coon, has decided I'm his best buddy and, therefore, the best place to sleep at night is against my legs. Which means when I go to move... You'd be surprised how heavy is eleven pounds of cat when it's sleeping against your lower legs.

They do become insistent when it's time for us to get up. Even then: They're pretty good about it. Relatively mellow in how they go about letting us know it's time to get up and feed them.

We have had two different males that have exhibited the carrying of toys about the house at night and howling. Neither of them did it every evening, or even most. Have no idea what it's about. Yet another cat mystery.

Corgis Rock
    Picture of Icabod
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    Sure V-tail blame your wife. We all believe you.....

To which my wife would reply: "You gotta sleep sometime sucker."

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of wrightd
    posted Hide Post
    we've had cats for 30+ years. all cats puke, more or less sorta regularly. our vet says cats should never puke. i guess the vet has no cats. stupid vet.

Lover of the US Constitution
    Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8915 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    Sometimes cats will puke if they over eat. Doesn't sound like yours is, but maybe meter the food rather than leaving the bowl for grazing.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ensigmatic:
    They do become insistent when it's time for us to get up. Even then: They're pretty good about it. Relatively mellow in how they go about letting us know it's time to get up and feed them.
    My friend was cat-sitting while his son was relocating.

The cat know when it was time for Martin to get up and supply breakfast. The cat also know that eyes closed means sleeping, eyes open means awake, so the cat would gently poke at Martin's eyelids to open them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of just1tym
    posted Hide Post
    Cats are extremely intelligent, and more-so totally adept at training their humans. Or, at least mine is anyway...he told me to write this Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    I am not a vet.
    Imho,
    If she's eating, pooping, and peeing, and holding her weight, her coat looks good, her eyes bright, leave her be and monitor. Cats are so resilient. Esp if she's a dsh, which Paragon states.

I had a cat that lived 21 yrs- I bottle raised her (abandoned), spayed her, gave her her first shots, and kept her as indoor only. I left her be, she ate nothing special, moused regularly, and used all her nine lives over 2 decades.

My current cat has been w us ~3 years. So far, the same so far as spaying and initial vx. She's a Bengal and not handraised (I have allergies and hoped to diminish my allergic response with this breed), and I feed her Wellness. No other intervention except affection. She is not allowed in my bedroom due to the allergy issue, neither was the other. She's doing great.

My only suggestion would be to find a different closet for your little devil to inhabit during resting hours Wink

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Arriving home, she was unusually docile and friendly. Maybe something in the anti-nausea shot?

No, Closet Cat now associates being a feline hellion with having a glass tube shoved up the bum, and wants no more of that shit, thank you.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    They do other things. We had a cat that came with the place I lived in many years ago. She would occasionally wake me up by dropping mice on me. Sometimes they were alive. THAT gets your attention real fast.

There's another way to find out if they have an intestinal obstruction. Get real close, and look into their eyes. If they have turned brown, that's a strong indication. Works with people, too.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post