SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2016 Kia Sorento, known problems?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016 Kia Sorento, known problems? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Wife found one she really likes (I’ve recommended others but....). Experiences or problems with that year in general?

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one as a rental a few years ago and I was pleasantly surprised after driving it for a week. I'm tall and broad shouldered and it fit me well. Decent for a smaller SUV. I think my biggest complaint was a the ride was slightly firm but I think it was also a lower base model.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 461 | Location: ATL | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We have a 2011 Sorento SX that we bought new. No issues at all. Yeah, the suspension is a little on the stiff side but it's not an issue. The AWD is awesome in the winter.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just one. KIA

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of largebore1
posted Hide Post
Beat me to it. It's a Kia. You get what you pay for. If you know anything about cars you'll pass on it.

THERE'S NO EXHILARATION LIKE ACCELERATION

Posts: 41 | Location: South | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife got one after 2004 Tahoe was getting a little tired and we have had zero issues and great customer service.

To be honest, I never would have considered a Kia but a few months before we bought it I had a video shoot in Seattle. When I arrived at rental counter and they told me I had a Kia I cringed but it was all they had in an SUV. I was amazed at how much I could cram into it and still have room left over and just as impressed with the drive/handling.

I know Kia had a bad rep for a long time but, from what I understand, Hyundai bailed their asses out, retooled the factories and the result was some well built, reliable cars.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm going to take a wild guess and bet that neither Joe123 or largebore1 has ever driven or owned a newer Kia. I'll also bet that they weren't aware that they were acquired by Hyundai who built a multi billion dollar plant in Georgia with multi tiered quality controls built in.

Just say'n,

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly

Now, I will admit I used to think that way especially after working for a dealer group that had one of the first Hyundai franchises in the NE, man were those "Exels" complete pieces of shit but it was also a brand new $5000.00 car out the door so they sold millions of them

They have come a long way and I would put a Hyundai or Kia up against anything in their class

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Wife has a 14 EX V6. It has 78k on it. Zero problems except an ABS sensor that needed replaced a few thousand miles ago, under warranty. It rides good but is a little cramped for me to drive comfortably, 6'2" and 240. Overall a good value

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was actually a service manager for Hyundai in 2000 when Hyundai was stepping up there quality. And I still stand by the fact that they are a 100K mile throw away car.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
I was actually a service manager for Hyundai in 2000 when Hyundai was stepping up there quality. And I still stand by the fact that they are a 100K mile throw away car.

They started making the new re-engineered designs in the new factory in 2011 so your experience is out dated to say the least. Do yourself a favor and test drive a newer model. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Three weeks ago I drove my friends 2016 Kia Sorento with a lifter noise.

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2012 Kia Sorento for my son. It has 140K and according to the mechanic the car is in fantastic condition. We have all the maintenance records on it even. The insurance for the Kia/ Hyundai is fantastic. My old 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee was as much or more for insurance.
I've been so impressed with the Kia I went and bought a 2018 Santa Fe Sport. It's no truck but for a CUV (compact utility vehicle) I'm very happy.
28 mpg with both of them so far, 35 mile round trip for myself and my son (different hours so we can't carpool, plus its not cool for him to be seen with dad...)

Posts: 2913 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not much experience with the Sorento but my sister has one that I've driven a little bit. She bought it in 2015, it was used 2013. It runs pretty good with no issues. One issue that she had, it seems like a common problem, is the door handle breaking. I replaced that earlier this year and it's been fine since.

We have bought 3 new Hyundai/Kia vehices:

2011 Kia Forte Koupe-no issues. Great little car that got great mileage. Traded it in towards the Sportage after about 90k miles.
2013 Hyundai Tucson-no issues. Great CUV, got rid of it because we didn't need a second car. Was very reliable and sold it with about 60k miles on it.
2014 Kia Sportage-only issues were a programming issue with the TPMS and a clogged catalytic converter. Both were taken care of under warranty. Traded it a couple months ago for a Toyota Highlander.

We liked all of our Hyundai/Kia vehicles but they lacked the refinement that Toyota has.

Would I buy one again? Yes if they could get them refined a little bit more for less noise and more comfort. Their value is great, IMO. They're quite aggressive with financing as we bought ours with low interest rates. I guess that's their way of trying to cut into the Toyota and Honda market duopoly for Asian car sales.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I'm going to take a wild guess and bet that neither Joe123 or largebore1 has ever driven or owned a newer Kia. I'll also bet that they weren't aware that they were acquired by Hyundai who built a multi billion dollar plant in Georgia with multi tiered quality controls built in.

Just say'n,

Jim

I would've assume the same but then you got:

quote:

Your information is outdated. You're thinking technology hasn't changed in the automotive world in 16 years?

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm currently driving a Kia sedan with 338,000 miles on it. YMMV.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
We had an 07 Sorento that we drove until 2016 - had 387,000 miles on it with no major repairs. Traded it for a Soul to commute back and forth to work in and have 60K on it with zero problems. Just had to replace the tires that came from the factory on it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My wife has the 2015. She really likes it. I have the 2016 Sedona and like it better. Go for the larger display and the built in GPS.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the year, but it's less than 4 years old, my cousin has one. Bought new, loves it. Never had a problem with it. She tells me it's great in the snow.

She drives 25 miles one way commute to work and works in a hospital so she has to get to work, and it's never let her down.

I owed a 2001 KIS Spectrum for years, it had almost 200,000 trouble free miles on it before I wrecked it, my sister had a 2001 KIA Rio and it was approaching 300,000 miles when she got a Ford explorer. She never had a problem with the KIA.

So, I wouldn't have a problem with buying a KIA of any kind. As a matter of fact I would love to have a KIA Stinger GT2. That's a cool car! But the Stinger GT2 is a little out of my price range right now. At $51,400.00, but it is a cool car!
ARman

Posts: 3216 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Three weeks ago I drove my friends 2016 Kia Sorento with a lifter noise.

Sounds like lifter rattle after start up then goes away? It’s not a lifter it’s the timing chain tensioner. I have the wife’s car torn down replacing the tensioners now. Went from a rattle at start up to sounding like it had no oil at all.

2015 Kia Sorento has 147,000 miles the biggest complaint is they blow the tail light and headlight bulbs a lot for no reason. The timing chain tensioners are prone to going bad unless you use Kia filters and change the oil on time every time. Also has a TSB for transmission shift issues with the CVT transmission if you don’t use factory filters.

Besides the blowing light bulbs it has been a good car. my wife didn’t have the oil changed when it was time even Though I paid the dealer in advance when I bought the car so can’t say if the timing chain tensioners going bad is a design issue or her neglect of having the oil changed but seems to be an issue with 3.3 engines when you search about them on line.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post