SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    44,000-Year-Old Indonesian Cave Painting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44,000-Year-Old Indonesian Cave Painting Login/Join 
posted
Sure, its no banana taped to a wall....but still cool!

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/11...g-the-history-of-art

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, interesting stuff.
I had seen that before, but without the explanations of the figures, so thanks for that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's not vandalism either. The Vandals were much later and didn't make it to India.

Posts: 10976 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool and interesting.

And of course a theory for the painting’s fading and disappearing is higher temps due to climate change....

Cripes!!!! Does everything happen due to climate change? How about it is really frickin’ old and they didn’t seal it!!!

Cripes!!!

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

Cripes!!!! Does everything happen due to climate change?
Not everything. Having said that, if the average temperatures in that particular neck of the woods are going up, then yes, the climate changing could be a bad thing for their preservation. The climate is changing, just like it has for millions of years and environmental effects are a real thing. Nowhere did they lay blame. Now we could argue over and over about did they mean it as shorthand for "man-made" climate change, or are they just so very focused on what they are doing and not really thinking about the words they are using. I met both kinds of profs in my time in college, political, and absorbed to the point of being clueless.

Besides that, it's a really neat find.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

And of course a theory for the painting’s fading and disappearing is higher temps due to climate change....

Saw that, but I did consider they (whomever "they" are) painted those pictures about 30,000 before the Glacial Maximum. So figure it got colder then for the last 15,000 years it has gotten a whole lot warmer and (I would bet) a whole lot damper!

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
That's very cool. Reminds me of one of my favorite Steely Dan songs, "The Caves of Altamira"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l6PR4l3FF8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
That's very cool. Reminds me of one of my favorite Steely Dan songs, "The Caves of Altmira"

Love that song!

Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Did they look like this?

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post