SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone from or in Danbury/Stamford Connecticut area
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone from or in Danbury/Stamford Connecticut area Login/Join 
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted
Hi all,

I am in this area until mid October.
I had pretty major surgery today at Stamford for MALS.
Open to suggestions on any spots I should check out once I am up and about.

Thanks in advance!!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Not in the area, but wishing you a fast recovery.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Maybe look up member WaterburyBob. I think he's in the area.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I’m an hour east.
Frank

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The basketball hall of fame is not too far away.

Also the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is really cool. Love their air shows with the WWI biplanes and triplanes. www.oldrhinebeck.org

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Grew up between Danbury and Waterbury, then lived in Fairfield county on and off from my early teens until my early 30s. Haven’t lived there for 17 years but get back due to work in Greenwich/Stamford/NYC with some regularity. The obvious answers would be things in NYC if you haven’t seen them. I personally would scrap that due to Covid BS. My favorite part of the state is Essex/Mystic and fall is the perfect time to visit. Bear Mountain and West Point are only about an hour from Danbury and we visited regularly when I was a kid. No idea what a visit would be like post 9/11 but I always enjoyed the scenic ride. Danbury was known as the hat capital of the world in the 1800s into the early 1900s.

Posts: 2967 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm 25 miles east of Danbury. What kind of things would you be interested in?
There really aren't any "don't miss" attractions around these parts. You would have to travel an hour or more.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16529 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I used to shop at Caldors in Danbury. I can’t think of any sights in the area. But nice seafood if you drive to the water. Darien. Norwalk. Along 95. No suggestions in particular. This time of year, maybe just a walk in the park with nice changing foliage colors.

Hope you recovery fast and well.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone!

WB, I am thinking of pretty parks to walk a bit each day

A good restaurant because I will finally be able to eat like a normal person again.

I don’t think I will be up for a longer car ride until the second week.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Hey, wishing you a speedy recovery. MTTaylor and I are in Stamford. In Stamford area, I love Stamford Museum and Nature Center - really cute animals, gentle walks. They even have otters. There are also some walking trails, one with handicap access. Bartlett Arboretum has some uneven trails- but free to access. Coal House Pizza is good.

Let us know if you need anything- as we are nearby. I've asked MTT to monitor this post, as I'm not here as often

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Martime Aquarium is a nice little aquarium in Norwalk... Cove Beach in Stamford has some nice walking paths and is open without a parking pass now

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Maybe a mini-meetup? Anyone want suggest a date and Katndog and I will suggest locations.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
That’s great. Thanks for all of the info
I am still in the hospital probably a minimum of 4 more days.
But, when I get out I am game to try some of the places you all suggest.
Thank you everyone!

DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Welcome to our little corner of the world. Smile

Check out Rosy Tomorrow's, my favorite restaurant in Danbury. Try the spinach and artichoke dip. It's excellent.

https://www.rosytomorrows.com/

Wishing you a speedy recovery - get well soon.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1906 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Steep Rock Preserve in Washington CT is northeast of Danbury. You can take a nice walk there along the river on dirt roads. Pretty flat along the river.
Yale's Peabody museums are in New Haven, if you have such an interest. While in New Haven you could try Pepe's Pizza.
Israel Putnam Memorial State Park is located at the Intersection of Rte 58 and Rte 107 in Redding, Connecticut. That might be closer for a walk.
There is also a Pepe's in Danbury.

I don't know about restaurants in the Danbury area other than Jim Barbarie's. If you want to go east about 30 minutes, Vyne in Middlebury and LaTavola in Waterbury are good.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16529 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the suggestions looking forward trying them all out.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Like WaterburyBob, if you get out towards New Haven, I'd recommend Pepe's Pizza. And if you like Buffalo Wings, Archie Moore's simply CANNOT be be missed either! They have multiple locations, and multiple varieties/flavors to choose from!

https://archiemoores.com/

Enjoy your recovery!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8938 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
This all sounds wonderful! Can’t
Wait to be able to eat again!!

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I left decades ago but grew up in NW Connecticut (Litchfield County).
There is lots of history in the general area so I'd google that and see what looks attractive to you. The Appalachian trail goes through the northwest part of the state and there a number of shorter day hiking sections you could do.
Beautiful part of the country, just hate the present day politics, regulations and high cost of living.

A sample of what's there.
https://www.planetware.com/con...chfield-us-ct-48.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
It’s a little bit of a ride from Danbury but Hammonasset beach is nice, usually pretty quiet in the fall and some easy walking with a nature center.....then close by in Clinton is the best lobster roll money can buy....lobster landing is the name in Clinton

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post