SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retirement time....Good-by California!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement time....Good-by California!!! Login/Join 
Picture of jack32586
posted
5 months. Then Texas. Going next month to look at houses in Houston and Corpus Christi. We want to be by the water, but not out in the middle of nowhere. I know next to nothing about these places, cept what the interwebs has to say. Any input would be appreciated.

Wife can work anywhere, and is ready to go. I'm just 50, so I'll need a job doing something. I've lived in San Antonio, Georgia and the Middle East. I know about the heat/humidity thing. Wife loves it, and I don't care. I'd be happy moving back to Montana, but my wife faints when she sees snow on TV.

Did someone say gun laws-Smile
I'm pretty gawl durned excited ya'll. Did I say that right...

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Free at last! Welcome to liberty. Don't look back. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Houston is LA without a nice beach. It's a huge sprawl of concrete and strip malls. I grew up there, family is there and you couldn't pay me to live there.

The beaches that are close to Houston and not nice beaches.

Corpus is small town. The beaches are crap. The further south you go from Corpus the better the beaches get but the further you get from civilization.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Suggest you look at Seabrook by Galveston Bay.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just returned from Houston visiting family, they're spread out all over and I don't really care for that section of the state. For starters, Houston is LA with a twang, I like twangs but, it resembles LA with it's urban sprawl and tangled mess of traffic, no zoning and little emergency services coordination; it's pretty epic. The humidity is pretty intense during the Summer time, there's very little wind/breeze when the heat index is up. The only redeeming aspect of HOU for me is the restaurant scene has grown and you can get a lot of good Asian food, with it's large population of Vietnamese, Chinese and East Indian communities; it's not Tex-Mex all-day, all-night like other parts of the state. Crime has been steadily rising, I believe the Katrina exodus contributed to the spike, which has continued to rise given the election of SJW political figures. Taxes in Harris County are rising quite a bit not to mention where that revenue goes, consider Montgomery (North) or, Waller (West). I've never come across a nice beach in TX, I remember going down to Galveston, Bolivar Penninsula and Kemah and I had to bite my tongue and not saying anything. Corpus I keep passing through, I'm sure there's some nice sections, I just haven't spent enough time to explore that part. If I had to choose, I'd consider one of the Hill Country communities outside of Austin, more landscape variety and you don't have to deal with the seasonal effects of hurricane season...remember Houston is a flood zone.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats !!

Just we sure to vote for the 'right' candidates ! Smile

-------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A good time to pepper the local gun shop with Off-Roster handguns.

Enjoy the process. Fifty and a new career? NorCal, and the drive from it, they'll still be "the good old days".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas is a good move, but not Houston! Buy a nice used RV, take as much time as you want trying out different parts of the state, perhaps you'll know "home" immediately when you find it. Then; sell the RV if you don't need it anymore for close to what you paid for it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
jack32586,

There might just be a nice present available too if uber generous member Q's (aka 12131) offer of a new Sig handgun to anyone escaping from any of the gun law repressive states is still in force. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Try Seabrook area specifically off Kirby in the Pasadena jurisdiction.

Lots of good food and good people in Houston, but it is a big city so there are a-holes too.

Be sure to check out Houston Gun Collectors Assn, Collectors Firearms, PSC gun club, Killens BBQ.

Welcome home.

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Does "near the water" have to mean the ocean? Texas has quite a few pretty large manmade lakes.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post