SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Building A Dolly - Wheel Placement Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building A Dolly - Wheel Placement Question Login/Join 
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted
So we moved into our new home a few months ago. My wife really misses her citrus trees. So I brought a Lime Tree with me on my last moving trip. Being that we get freezing temps, she needs to move it into the garage at night. She bought a plant dolly that was supposed to support 500 pounds. It lasted about 3 months of wheeling it in and out.

We couldn't find anything that looks any strong, so I thought I would build one. There is a lot of new construction around us, so I can find lots of scrap wood.

The dolly is 22" x 24", 2x4's on one layer and 2x6's on the other. I bought some 5" wheels (2 packs of 4).

My question is am I laying out the wheels in a pattern that will roll well? The center wheel is for more support. Probably over engineered, but only want to do this once hopefully.

Thanks for the input.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t imagine needing more than one on each corner and at the most one more in the center.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get the corner wheels as far into the corners as possible. Wouldn't be good to dump the thing.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I recommend placing the wheels so that only one wheel rolls over a crack at a time. Also suggest strong screw-in eyes and a hooked pull rod. Lots of waterproofing on the wood as the pot water will leak. Maybe get a layer of roofing shingles on the surface from the local construction.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Good job so far. Those look like good wheels and those doubled 2xs will last. I'd think 4 wheels would be ample so build another platform and go get a lemon tree. Smile

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
One wheel in each corner.
If your weight is an issue which does not look like it should be.
Add a couple more pieces of wood as a cross brace on the bottom.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Good job so far. Those look like good wheels and those doubled 2xs will last. I'd think 4 wheels would be ample so build another platform and go get a lemon tree. Smile

Agreed!
Each of those wheels will probably hold over 100 pounds (more like 200#’s) and the plant will likely weigh less than 200 pounds so 4 wheels will be more than enough.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6468 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 4 wheels at the corners. If a plant weighs more than 4 wheels and that platform will hold, you aren't going to pick it up to put it on there.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You have too many wheels, and they are close enough to hit eachother. 1 at each corner is plenty.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
One on each corner mounted with carriage bolts through both the 2x4s and 2x6s. Those look like locking wheels. Don't think yo really need them. Pull it don't push. And some cleats around the pot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 9mmnut,

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I will dump the extra wheels.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would suggest casters with wider wheels and two fixed and two swivel.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As said above 4 wheels in the maximum spread on the 4 corners. I would also add a rope handle to the base to make it easier to pull in/out and not push the pot off the platform.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
One on each side should be fine.

With all steerable wheels that thing is going to want to go sideways.

May want two steer wheels and two straight.

Depending on how big the pot is and how far you have to bend over my want some way to pull the card with someone stabilizing it as you go.

Bending over and pushing a heavy load can be bad on the back.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I would flip it over as well . Put the wheels on the 2x6's.

Posts: 2555 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
I built a 2X2 dolly a few years ago and have moved some pretty heavy stuff with it. I only have wheels at the corners.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
All of those saying one wheel in each corner are correct, but here's the reason why.

If you're on an uneven surface, then the wheels in the middle may be holding the weight while the corner wheels are up in the air. This could make your load unstable from a tipping standpoint. Keeping the wheels at the corners prevents this, and is the most stable.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’d get a terra cotta or plastic or fiberglass saucer for the big pot to sit on/in.

This will help keep that wood from rotting out by retaining the water as well as keeping the plant more hydrated so it doesn’t dry out quickly.

I’ll agree to use only 4 casters, 2 with the locking brake and 2 plain swivel and use bolts washers and nuts.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
neighbor had one of these , for the same purpose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xw3ZTKsI4

she loved it .

$160.00, and you can use it for four things , instead of a singular use.

(* but only for up to 200# )

and it stores out of the weather .

she tried casters but you have to push at caster level , not that easy,
if you push from the top , the whole thing falls over

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post