SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just learned a friend of mine passed away in an accident today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just learned a friend of mine passed away in an accident today. Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
My family has been camping with his family a few times. They moved away from the neighborhood five or so years ago. We stayed in touch via texts. But they became less frequent as our lives moved on. He was a great guy. Passionate about preserving a moral culture. He loved guns, especially expensive ones. He offered to help me around my house with projects. Just being nice.

Today I was driving home for lunch and the commuter lane I usually take was closed with police cars blocking the on ramp. I took the parallel surface road. You can see the commuter lane from the surface road. About a 1.5 miles along I saw a mass of emergency vehicles on the Eastbound side. Must have been ten of them with their lights flashing. There was a temporary curtain up to prevent lookers. I know when they put that curtain up, it's not good. I drove past without rubber-necking so as not to slow traffic.

30 mins ago I got a text from a mutual friend. He told me the Pete was the fatality in that crash. He leaves behind an ex-wife and three kids. I'm sad for them. Though We were drifting apart, I'll miss my friend. Recently I have been assaulted by the tragedy of life.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry man.

It’s hard as hell losing a friend to a vehicular accident, it’s one of those things that’s unfortunately impacted many more people than you would probably think.

Try if you can to focus on the fun times you guys had. I know it isn’t an easy thing to go through. Frown

The prospect of leaving behind a wife and four kids is a huge reason I rarely ride motorbikes anymore. My ebike punted me tonight and I’ll be feeling awful tomorrow but at least I wasn’t on my R1 going 100+ mph. Getting older really gives you perspective on the things that truly matter. My Troy Lee Designs helmet saved my ass tonight…

It really sucks to lose a friend that way, I’m truly sorry you have to deal with such an awful situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear of your friend's death. It's not uncommon for communications to falter some time after one party moves away. I've lost friends whom I've not seen in 30 years and haven't texted or spoken with on the phone for 25 years. It still hits very hard due to the length and intensity of the friendship when we were together.

Thankfully, the memories of the friendship remain intact and provide solace. It sounds like you will have an abundance of similar memories.

Posts: 7313 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss of you friend. I cant imagine what the family is going through.

There was a time in my life where within 2 years all my aunts and uncles died. I miss them still.

The more time passes on the more people we know and eventually we lose a friend or relative. We just need to remember the good times we had with them.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss and prayers for his family.

Sold my motorcycle and feeling good about never riding again. These threads sadden me, having been to many motorcycle crashes for traffic control.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. Feeling better about life this morning. I guess yesterday’s news just set me back. I think I was feeling regret for letting our friendship drift. I suppose it’ll sting for a while

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that - I heard about that accident. It always comes as such a shock to lose someone we know. It serves as a good reminder for us to never take anything in life, especially our loved ones, for granted.

Timp Highway is so dangerous - it seems like we hear sirens several times a day on that road.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your friends passing. It’s a stark reminder that life is indeed fragile. Prayers sent…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It will sting for a while. I lost my best friend of 30 years on 6 May. We were closer than brothers. It's still hard to believe he's gone.

His family will need your support, honor him by helping them get through this unbearable time. In helping them you'll likely find peace yourself.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37958 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That’s great advice, Rightwire

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm sorry to hear that - I heard about that accident. It always comes as such a shock to lose someone we know. It serves as a good reminder for us to never take anything in life, especially our loved ones, for granted.

Timp Highway is so dangerous - it seems like we hear sirens several times a day on that road.

Losing someone unexpectedly is tough to get through, sorry for your loss.

All the friends from my youth and adult life are gone so I feel for you.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear your friend passed. My prayers for you and his family.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's tough losing a friend, even one who you may have drifted from a while ago.

Like Rightwire said, support his family.

Similar situation I was in years ago when I learned an old Army friend committed suicide. His mother texted me on his cell phone informing me of the news. She kept his cell phone activated for a little bit and I shared stories of our time in and out of the Army with her. We went to basic, OCS and artillery school together. We were roommates and spent a lot of time together. He left the Army and went to law school. The time he was gone in the Army, she didn't know much about so I sent her pictures and stories she never knew about. Her daughter, his sister, said it helped their mother grieve.

Posts: 13113 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Tough funeral today. I was doing good until his 12 yr old son started struggling as a pall bearer.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences, I know the feeling.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this, Kevin. Today must have been very difficult!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Tough funeral today. I was doing good until his 12 yr old son started struggling as a pall bearer.

Dang, that had to be tough on you and your friends family. Like Rightwire suggested, help his family. I know it really helped me get through my friend passing last Christmas. It is a mutually beneficial way to help you and your friends family.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^yes, that was great suggestion Mrs DF and I are moving kind of far away but I’m going to see if his kids would like to visit us and our horses etc on the homestead. I think they’ll love it.
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I'm very sorry to hear this, Kevin. Today must have been very difficult!

Thank you brother. I think it was more difficult than I expected because our loss is so recent still and we associated much of what was said with our Michael. Maybe it will always be that way for us at young funerals.