SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally bought a bamboo steam cooker, any tips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally bought a bamboo steam cooker, any tips? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Honestly have no clue how to use it but bought all the Bao and pork ravioli i could get my hands on.

Do i need to cure this thing before use?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12118 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Not sure about curing, but I prefer to use scraps of leafy greens in place of paper when steaming dumplings.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Good! But how badly do i need paper/green stuff?

Is it a must or i can just lay the dumplings on the steamer?

0-0

Posts: 12118 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I just watched a video on it. The (Chinese) lady said nothing about curing, and said the parchment paper is to prevent the bamboo from absorbing food smells or flavors. I'd think it would also be harder to clean if any of the dough from the dumplings got in the fibers of the bamboo. I'd say some sort of barrier is probably a must.

Posts: 17148 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Good! But how badly do i need paper/green stuff?

Is it a must or i can just lay the dumplings on the steamer?

0-0

Lots of times, the dumplings tend to want to stick to the bottom of the bamboo trays and tearing the dumpling open upon removal. Bao is fine with paper.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have not heard of curing a bamboo basket but steam-cleaning it before use with food seems like a good idea. Steam while empty, allow to cool, rinse in cold water, air dry, repeat.

For steaming food like dumplings/gyoza, buns, or Shau Mei I like to use cabbage leafs to line the bottom. This keeps the grease off the bamboo.

Here is a thai recipe for steamed fish, also called seafood mousse for snobs. Hor Mok Talay is delicious despite the name. Research several recipes and develop your own. Please post pictures of your dinner.

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/h...k-red-curry-custard/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Do you already steam foods and just the bamboo steamer is a new tool? Or is steaming new to you?

I steam a lot: corn, potatoes, pork rib bites in black bean sauce (common dim sum item), rock cod with ginger and scallion, egg custards (chawanmushi), broccoli, fun tsun pai gu (steamed rice powder coated marinated pork riblet’s), etc

I prefer a stainless steamer though. I don’t use wood in my kitchen.

If you steam already and just the bamboo is new, I agree with others. Use a lining like paper or leafy veggie like lettuce.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What Nismo said.
My steamer has four levels and we steam har gao, shao mei, bao and hong shu yu.
Use leafy lettuce or similar leafy barrier to facilitate cleanup.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Excellent tips, thank you friends.

First time steaming food. Already understand the need for paper or greens. Experience provides good lessons too.

0-0

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We haven't made anything in our bamboo baskets recently, but we use Napa cabbage leaves in ours.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post