SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shohei Ohtani - Bringing class to MLB (Thank god someone is)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shohei Ohtani - Bringing class to MLB (Thank god someone is) Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
For those unfamiliar with Shohei Ohtani, he's a 27 year old Japanese baseball player who transitioned from Japan to MLB this year, playing for the LA Angels. He currently leads MLB in home runs, and as a starting pitcher, he sports a 100mph+ fastball and some nasty off speed pitches. Dual purpose players like Ohtani just don't exist anymore, and on the field, this guy is some kind of special. All that aside, Ohtani exhibits a humbleness that's rare for an MLB player, let alone a player receiving the incredible attention he gets weekly. He's always photo'd showing up for games clean shaven and sporting a coat and tie. Again, very different from the multi-millionaires he shares the field with.

Ohtani recently participated in the MLB Home Run Derby, and though he was projected to possibly win it, he was eliminated in the first round earning $150K for his efforts. It's what he did afterwards with that payout that really impressed me. Apparently he took the entire amount and spread it out over a dozen members of the Angels clubhouse staff, trainers, and members of the media department support staff to thank them for their efforts supporting him.

Link

At a time when MLB is IMO doing almost everything wrong when it comes to the image of the league, Ohtani at least leaves me with a glimmer of hope.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Grace and class are rare these days

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
FYI, he's been in mlb since 2018.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
FYI, he's been in mlb since 2018.
You are correct in terms of original contract signing, but way to completely miss the point of the thread.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
His name has been built up for weeks and I finally got to see him in a game against the Giants. He struck out at every at bat and his pitching wasn’t what it was hyped up to be. The Giants showed Ohtani what a good team looks like.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
His name has been built up for weeks and I finally got to see him in a game against the Giants. He struck out at every at bat and his pitching wasn’t what it was hyped up to be. The Giants showed Ohtani what a good team looks like.
Glad you got to see 'one' game. Fortunately, one game does not a season make. A quick glance at Ohtani's stats this season paint a completely different picture of what kind of player he really is.

Jesus Christ if I must say so. I played high school and college baseball and have been around the game for over 30 years playing, coaching, and advising. I love the game and its been an incredibly important part of my life. Ohtani is special by any metric and his attitude and approach to the game is a breath of fresh air around the garbage dump that has become the MLB. Maybe, just maybe, try and see something good for a change.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I don’t watch baseball anymore, and haven’t since the steroids broke out. Bonds and the rest of them, even Palmeiro. But I’ve been paying attention to the dual threat for a while now and made sure to get the regular highlights of this season. Seen him rip some massive long balls, and seen him throw some good games on the mound.

He’s the way he is because he is Japanese. Their culture, especially respect, and humbleness, yeah it’s a far cry from the picturesque overpaid babies yelling and screaming look at me when they do something. Good on him. Valentino did the same thing many years ago. In GP, if you win the qualifying award, well back then you got a brand new M BMW. Rossi got it, came and told his team to sell and split up the proceeds amongst themselves. There are “special” players in every sport but they don’t come around too often.

My favorite highlights from Ohtani this year…

Pitching, throws the chin music, benches clear, and he owns it, my fault. It’s what he did afterwards.
https://youtu.be/XLbY-00rFLU

And he’s been sending them way downtown into the cheap seats all season. I mean some monsters. https://youtu.be/rH8ZBynD2o8

He’s had some surgery and injuries that have really held him back prior to this year. You could see it it’s just the injuries got into the way. I’ve been watching interviews and keeping track since he was still playing in Japan as several news outlet were doing stories on him while he was still playing in Japan, asking when he was going to go to the MLB. The hype, following, etc, that he receives playing for the Angels, well, he used to it. They used to wait outside his “dorm” when he was playing in Japan so the hype and fandom is nothing new to the guy at all.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You are forgetting about Isuro "Kamikaze" Tanaka, the greatest Japanese player to ever play the game.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Nice to see. Seems like a good guy and a good player Smile

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Even though I no longer watch MLB I always enjoy stories of people who exhibit humility and class.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohtani is a breath of fresh air, he's a simple guy off the farm in Japan. Strong as an ox and isn't flamboyant, demonstrative or, flashy. Privately, I had hoped he'd sign with my favorite team the Giants but, the DH rule in the AL played to his desire to pitch and hit.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
You are forgetting about Isuro "Kamikaze" Tanaka, the greatest Japanese player to ever play the game.
Big Grin Love the Major League movies.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
#34!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post