SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    help me understand people and why they act the way they do,at work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help me understand people and why they act the way they do,at work Login/Join 
posted
first example:
three High school employee's have lunch together on a Saturday . ( two teachers and a office person)

35 minutes in to the lunch , for no good reason
the new principle gets mention in a conversation.

one lady says that he brought up sexual stuff , way out of context ,at school for no reason . it made her very uncomfortable,
BUT
she did not address it with him
did not tell her husband,
did not talk to the school board about it .

Then! a second lady says she had a similar experience with him and she also was uncomfortable and left the room .

she also told no one,

and the third lady said pretty much the same thing , talking about sex , way out of context at work, and she said nothing to anyone .

they did not discuss what should be done, going forward ,
they have been working around this guy since June , and all three inappropriate scene's
went down within the last month.

I do not understand why they don't do something, in the way of curtailing this unwelcome activity.

this crap pisses me off, I asked for his name and where he could be reached,

their eyes got huge and said "NO" at pretty much the same time,
so I am keeping my big nose out of it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Afraid of retribution or afraid their husband might think they did something that led to it is about all I can come up with

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2249 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
It is easy, even cowardly, to gossip about someone behind their back.

It is brave, even valiant, to confront someone to their face.

You do the math.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Some workplaces have a "duty to report" clause written into their harassment policy, which makes it even tougher when these types of situations pop up. In sharing with you, they might have exposed you to some liability.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
In general? Women want empathy, men want to fix things.

https://verilymag.com/2017/08/...pathy-he-wont-listen

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they thought it was just them or that nothing would be done or that they're risking their jobs? Being brave is difficult especially when you're scared. The three of them lodging complaints together would be ideal. Remaining upset and doing nothing is more likely. It's not your place to confront him though you can report him. Better would be to encourage them to take a stand, if not for themselves then for other employees who are suffering silence.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Maybe recent events have them questioning whether it's worth the backlash to make the accusations.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Are you a fellow employee or was this just a random conversation you overheard in public?

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
Afraid of retribution

quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Perhaps they thought it was just them or that nothing would be done or that they're risking their jobs?

quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
Maybe recent events have them questioning whether it's worth the backlash to make the accusations.

Yep. A woman I know experienced this at a school where she used to work.

She noticed some red flags about one of her male assistant principals, basically him having what appeared to be inappropriate boundaries with some of the female students, being touchy and flirty, constantly being surrounded by the same few teenage girls, etc. Other employees confirmed that they shared similar concerns, but didn't want to stick their necks out. This woman gathered her courage and expressed her concerns over these red flags to the principal, the boss of both of them. The principal forwarded it to district administration level.

District administration sat on it. At the end of the year, district admin forcibly transferred this woman from the school she loved. The principal apologized profusely, but said it was out of his hands, since the decision was made at the admin level over his head. Assistant principal remained in his position at the school.

Partway through the next school year, that assistant principal voluntarily left to go work for another school district. A year or so later, evidence came out that this assistant principal had been sexting with and molesting three female students at the previous school, just as this woman had suspected. Assistant principal resigned from his new position and was arrested.

So this woman did the right thing. She saw something and said something. But nothing happened to the assistant principal at that time, while this woman was arguably punished for bringing it up. (She didn't lose her job or have her pay cut, but was forced to switch schools, a transfer that she did not agree with.)

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Maybe, the guy isn't guilty.

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Are you a fellow employee or was this just a random conversation you overheard in public?

That's what I'm wondering, bendable. What is your involvement in this and why would you presume to insert yourself in this matter by trying to identify the person? Were you intending to confront this person yourself or did you intend to file a complaint etc? Those sorts of actions are for the people directly involved to decide for themselves.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
so I am keeping my big nose out of it.

^^^ good idea ^^^

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My brother has a hard and fast rule, “ mind your own business”

It has worked for him for 52 years, and kept him out of countless conflicts. If he actually was a witness to alleged sexual harassment, he would act. But based on hearsay...shut up. It would be upon the actual witnesses or victims to act.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I did the right thing and lost my education career.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Maybe, the guy isn't guilty.

The major problem I have with women that say shit like this without filing a report with the appropriate people is that there is no credibility. Same goes for politicians that "receive death threats" because of their stance on certain issues, but never make a police report....(para please don't take that as me interjecting politics, it's not meant to be that, merely an example of the same types of behavior)

There are too many ways for these women to make anonymous reports that I just won't take them seriously if they don't use the mechanisms in place.

As for those that are saying these women are afraid of losing their jobs and such....if women are so brave like we've been told, why not be brave and stop a predator? Look, I have a wife and daughter, but unlike some of you here, I am not looking at them as some helpless little creatures. We should expect more from them. Sometimes, some women want to play the victim and that's exactly what it sounds like these 3 are doing.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My brother has a hard and fast rule, “ mind your own business”

^^^^
At this point in time it is just Gossip. As you said earlier keep your big nose out of it.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I did the right thing and lost my education career.

^^^ This ^^^

Make waves in the education system and you've got problems. If they need their jobs, raising a stink would be a problem. FYI Mars, I have a coworker that did the same thing. They are not teaching anymore and are now doing QA on our software products. I think his new career is better but he misses teaching.

Posts: 7670 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Anecdotes are not evidence. I would keep my eyes and ears open about this guy at this point, but nothing more.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liberal behavior in a liberal environment. Stay out of it if you wish to keep your employment.
Companies have policies to protect from lawsuits; Not to model behavior on

Posts: 1463 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
If they don't confront him then its their problem.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post