SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’m going to try mountain biking & have a few questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m going to try mountain biking & have a few questions Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just a head's up...as it were.

We recently had a young guy in his 40s out mountain biking with his 12 year old son. Dad did a header and died from a cervical fracture (among other things). Son did CPR on his dead father until EMS arrived.

Shit happens. I get it. But over the years in the business, I see more and more people being killed or permanently wounded doing things that maybe they shouldn't oughta be doing (crazy mountain biking, climbing, wingsuiting, whatever). Yeah...I know...they die doing something they love. Roll Eyes

Not telling you to not get into the sport, just know what to expect and make sure your family knows what to expect.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Not telling you to not get into the sport, just know what to expect and make sure your family knows what to expect.
I hear you and respect your comments, but according to my doctor, 56 year olds like me shouldn't be snow skiing in the winter (on anything other than the bunny slope), and shouldn't be wakeboarding, water skiing, or mountain biking (real mountain biking) at all. I simply am not tired or old enough of spirit just yet to simply sit on the couch where according to my doc, its safe for someone my age. Razz

IMO, the longer each of us refuses to get old and succumb to the effects of aging, the sharper we'll be and the longer and better lives we'll have. That obviously doesn't preclude taking some appropriate steps to try and do what we do safely. But I've yet to find a way to really protect myself when I eat it face first at 30mph crossing the wake. Razz Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I'm getting that same itch. I use to ride heavily in my 20's. Had a bike or two in-between, but just didn't have the interest.

Now the interest is back. I'd like to pick up something before we go on vacation in the hills of WV.

I prefer a hard tail with front suspension. Disc brakes didn't exist then, but I'm leaning towards that. Possibly 29" wheels.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Just came across this article today. Reiterates what's already been said, but by "experts". (That was sarcasm...)

www.mensjournal.com/gear/how-t...bike-a-buyers-guide/

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I bid on a late 90’s vintage Powerlite BMX bike very similar to the one I used to race in Hampton Virginia. I won that auction and another. My son and I are going to be riding in style! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the fitness tracking app recommendations guys!! I’m having sooooooo much fun cycling again!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Map my ride is a neat app!

I haven’t even explored my neighborhood completely yet! I believe it’s something like 700+ houses in this neighborhood. Once I explore it completely and get back into shape I’ll work my way over to the mountain bike trails in the park that is right next to my neighborhood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~