SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marley will soon be waiting for me at the rainbow bridge.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marley will soon be waiting for me at the rainbow bridge. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
We’re out town, house hunting and boarded our cats for the first time. We opted for that to keep them safe and not lonely, as our house is on the market and I didn’t want the tragedy of this guy running out the door and getting lost, as he is wont to do. He ran out the door under my wife’s eight month pregnant belly before my son was born, and she never even saw him. We got him back a month later after a lot of fear and anxiety… and we got another eight years and four months with him.

He wouldn’t eat or drink yesterday, and the lady we boarded him with took him to an animal hospital. I spoke with the vet this morning, and she isn’t sure he’ll love to see me home in four hours. His kidneys are failure, and rapidly. He dropped from eight pounds to six. If I can make it there to say goodbye, the doctor recommends putting him to sleep. I just want to hold him one last time.

He was the sweetest cat I’ve ever met. He meowed loudly to be let out of the cage at the animal rescue when we walked in, and he came right up to me and loved on me. He bit my wife when she reached down to pet him, so of course, I had to bring him home (he later decided she was ok). He was my constant companion the last thirteen years, and never happier than when was hugging me tightly around my neck, nuzzling my chin. That, or curled up in front of the space heater in his later years. Photos of both below.

I’m sorry I was away for this, buddy. Hang on, I’m coming.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. He looks and sounds like one we lost a couple years ago. Hoping you make it in time.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear Smudge ... our fur babies are a part of our families. I understand.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Hope you make it to be there with your buddy.

Peace to Marley and you all.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your buddy. Hopefully you get to say goodbye to him. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
very sorry to hear this

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sorry man.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every pet is different, but did the vet mention trying subcutaneous fluid therapy? I did that with my cat who had CRF and he did quite well with it for over a year. Some vets are very quick to just assume people don't want the hassle of this, but I did it at home and it wasn't a big deal or expensive.

Again, unfortunately Marley may be past that point; I don't know. Sorry for your situation, and I feel for you. Those furry little ones tend to grab hold of your heart over the years.

Posts: 129 | Location: PNW Washington State | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
“How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard” – Winnie the Pooh.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. I hope you get that last hug.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is one of the most painful posts I’ve ever read on this forum. I’m sorry P220 Smudge,
Cats are unique and when the best of them decide to leave us it always seems to leave us with more questions than answers. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this and hope you get there in time to comfort both of you one last time.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so sorry to read this Ed. We went through this with our dog Max, he was my wife's dog when we met and when I took her home after our first date he bit my leg and tore the pants on an $800 suit. By the time he passed 15 years later he and I were inseparable. I truly hope you can get back in time to say goodbye.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for Marley, he is an handsome guy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Really sad to hear about that, Smudge. Frown Your Marley looks just like my Gracie. Smile

I feel your pain...some years ago, I went to visit my brother and I took my Sandy into the vet to diagnose and (hopefully) treat him. Unfortunately he was untreatable and they had to put him down before I got home. He was 18 and lived a long, loving, spoiled life, but I've kicked myself for years wishing I had acted on his symptoms sooner. He may have made it another year or two, but I vowed that if he (or his brother) were ever in pain, I would not make them suffer at the behest of my own selfishness.

Just know you're doing the loving, HUMANE thing for Marley and ending the suffering. I hope you get to say goodbye.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
So Sorry to hear. I lost my cat Cosette, two years ago just as COVID started. Still painful. A difficult passage.

Posts: 153 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, big greys are the best. Those claws go so deep, right to the heart, and never let go. Godspeed on your mission.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your little friend. They take up so much space in the heart.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Losing pets is like losing a close friend or family. My sincere condolences and I hope the next one finds you soon.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post