SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Android question for the experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Android question for the experts Login/Join 
posted
I had another post where I broke the digitizer on my Samsung Galaxy S9 and couldn't unlock it to back up my photos/data. I ended up getting a replacement and was able to back everything up.

I always keep a duplicate of my phone so when one goes down I can swap or replace the SIM card and be back up and running. The duplicate phone that I've been using has all the same applications, however they automatically updated when I switched over and now my music player won't recognize any of my music folders or playlists. Apparently this is an issue with the most recent version and the developer is slow to respond if any response at all.

I was curious to see if there was a way for me to get the install file from my old phone and run it on my new one, essentially installing an older version that will recognize my folders and playlists. Does anyone know where I would find the source file, how to move and install it on the other phone? They're both Samsung S9s and the music program is "JRT Rocket Music Player."

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
I was curious to see if there was a way for me to get the install file from my old phone and run it on my new one, essentially installing an older version that will recognize my folders and playlists. Does anyone know where I would find the source file, how to move and install it on the other phone? They're both Samsung S9s and the music program is "JRT Rocket Music Player."
Doubtful, the APK (install bundle) for an app is typically deleted as the last step in the install, sometimes, you will get prompted for a save option, but this is becoming less and less common.

You might be able to find the APK on a torrent site, but the JRT site does not appear to have made older versions available, instead they redirect you to Google Play.

There is an app, ES File Explorer, that allows you to see the actual file system layout on your device. Maybe use this to move songs from the unseen directory to where the newer version expects to find them? This will probably be tedious and maybe even a little hard to figure out, difficulty/hassle level akin to exporting the songs from the old device and importing them into the newer one. Sometimes, you can import directly from songs in a folder on your device to the newer app, but if the developer did not make this operation automatic upon install, they probably didn't think to include it as an easy-to-use option.

The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is software that runs on your real computer that connects on a very basic level to a USB-plugged in Android device can also be very useful in this situation. ADB allows file system discovery and manipulation as well as supporting sideloading of APKs and other low-level operations. However, it is not a tool for experimentation, if you don't know what you are doing, and why, you can quickly get yourself into trouble, especially if you are rooted.

Finally, OpenGapps (if you can stand the constant ads) gives access to backup repositories and older versions of Google Play apps that might give you some relief. Unfortunately, the OpenGapps developers appear to have failed to include a search function so this may be tedious too.

Hope this is helpful, my Android devices are all locked down Amazon tablets, and I have not yet been able to root them and install a real Android version over top of the crippled Amazon distribution. Otherwise, I'd install JRT Rocket (which otherwise appears to be a solid music player), and have better information for you.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I can't stand streaming services which is all the rage right now and it sucks not being able to use my playlists for music I have on my device. I can play each song individually however that's not feasible to have to click and search for a new song after one is finished.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post