SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota Land Cruiser fans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Land Cruiser fans Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
I picked this up recently. Never had one before, not sure what the plan for this one is. But for now I'll be cleaning it up as best I can and evaluating it. It has the inline 6 and 234k on the clock. It's a one owner with not too much rust. I don't think it's seen the inside of a garage until I put it in mine for a few hours to work on it. It's a 1982 so it has some age issues with rubber etc.

I guess I better start YouTubing and reading and see what I should do with it. Not sure if I'll just play with it and flip it, or really try to fix it up.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
That is so cool, I love Land Cruisers. Can you post more pictures?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
Neat….I’ve owned an FJ40, an FJ80 and currently an FJ100. Never owned the FJ60. I’ll be interested to see how you like it. The in-line 6 is bullet proof, but at least in the FJ80 was a horrible power to chassis combination. In other words don’t pull out in front of anyone. They are slow, slow, slow.

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
That is so cool, I love Land Cruisers. Can you post more pictures?

Sure, I'll post some more pics as I can. ch23701, with a whopping 135 hp I won't be winning any races.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coloradohunter44,

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a used FJ55 in 1977 and owned it for 23 years. Went in and out of places that other vehicles could not go.
Inline 6 cylinder (supposedly a copy of a Chevy 6 but longer stroke). Took 8 quarts of oil. 4 speed on the floor. Manual front locking hubs. Kids called it the "loser cruiser", but it got them to school and back during Wyoming winters.
Packed out Elk, deer, and antelope, and slept in it with back seat folded down on hunting trips.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I really like them. I never had one though. One of my sons has a 2006 Land Cruiser that's pretty nice.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Those are very capable off road machines. At one time I had a serious letch for an FJ62, the next gen with the square headlights and fuel injection instead of a carburetor. Fwiw, i ended up getting an 1991 FJ80 that I absolutely loved- the last solid axle FJ.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ch23701:
The in-line 6 is bullet proof

The Toyota 2F engine is beyond bullet proof, it is a real beast and very heavy. Originally (just after WW2) it was modeled after the Chevy 235 I6. When I rebuilt a 1974 FJ-40, I used the 2F from a 1985 FJ-60 (the last year for a carbureted 2F), and also the split transfer case from the same FJ-60.

The torque curve on the 2F is ideal for off-roading, putting maximum torque at about 1800rpm. You can literally climb a hill while idling in first gear.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
VERY COOL!

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Outstanding vehicle. Good luck with it and post pics of it's progress.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Nice, not too bad.

When I had TLC flu I had my heart set on a 60 series but wasn't able to find one that didn't need a frame off restoration.

After months of searching and driving all over creation I wound up with a solid 1991.

For all things Land Cruiser.
https://www.ih8mud.com/

I'm not sure about the 2f engine but I source 3f engine parts from the forklift shop as they still can get them at a reasonable price.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking 60 - Appears to be very stock, original, and in pretty good condition (minimal rust for a 60!).

I'm a huge LandCruiser fan, and have a white FJ60 as well. Mine is *far* from stock, however. I'll upload a post a few pics in another reply.

My suggestion for yours, assuming there's been a lot of "deferred maintenance" as they say...would be to get it running, replace the hoses / vacuum lines / rubber bits under the hood that are old and cracked.

Keep the Aisin carburetor, don't be tempted to swap it for a Weber! If it's bad or needs rebuilt, there's a guy who sells new (but from overseas) replacements...meaning you'd need to de-smog the truck, as it doesn't have the USA smog provisions. Search for "City Racer LLC". His business is sourcing hard to find OEM replacement parts from the Middle East, I believe.

Then I'd go through the brakes, and rebuild the front axle (I'll bet the birfield joints are either empty of grease, or they are filled with grease + oil mixed (which is no good)).

"Cruiser Outfitters" (based out of Utah) sells a good OEM rebuild kit (axles seals, bearings, shims...all the stuff you'll need to do the job). It's a messy affair, but considered a TLC "rite of passage".

Anyway, congrats on the purchase...!

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple pics of mine -->

I bought it with a small block (305 chevy) already swapped in, but it wasn't done well.

I've since replaced that motor (LS swap) to get away from the carburetor. Fuel injected Vortec motor makes it much better on and off road.

It's mostly Old Man Emu suspension (OME), roughly 4" lift with 34 inch tires (Toyo MT).

Re-geared with diffs out of an FJ62 (4.11 ratio).

...lots of other work done as well.

It's mainly an off road toy for me, but I drive it 1-2x per week for fun as well.

I also had a big ugly Red 1981 FJ60 for a little while. I bought to do the harder trails, but I wound up flopping it -->

We pulled it back on 4 wheels, and I wheeled it for another 3 days after it tipped over...as proof that these are un-killable!

Had to sell that one last year (only have room and time/energy/money for one LandCruiser at a time!).

Anyway, congrats again on yours. I vote keep it, fix it up, and enjoy it!

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your find! As has been noted, ih8mud.com is a great forum site for all things about Cruisers, and you will easily find locals on that site that will be willing to help you on your journey (for a six pack, anyhow...).

Good trucks, I have a white '97 (FZJ80) that my daughter is driving in high school. As one administrator at the school told me, "she's driving the coolest vehicle on campus!"

Yeah, it's a burden. Smile

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Nice find. I have grown to love them. Maybe someday.

Here is a mint one from Africa; almost new, straight-6 diesel, manual trans & t/c. So simple, so pure (Sadly, there is no way it would clear us safety and smog requirements)

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I had an 85 FJ60 which I sold a few years ago and it was very easy to work on- I miss it!

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Outstanding vehicle. Good luck with it and post pics of it's progress.

Bone stock everywhere so fa..

Cleaning layers of junk off.

FBLM LGB!

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted when you start on the mods. That list never stops. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
VERY COOL!

For sure!

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Love, love, love all variations of the Land Cruiser. I’ve had a 40 and an 80. I want a 200 series to replace my V8 4Runner bad. Someday. The older Cruisers have a special place in my heart. Good on you for rescuing that 60.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post