SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Federal Judge Orders Los Angeles City, County To Offer All Skid Row Homeless Shelter By Fall
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Judge Orders Los Angeles City, County To Offer All Skid Row Homeless Shelter By Fall Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm a big believer in charity and doing what I can to volunteer, but some people just can't be helped. Sometimes you are personally risking a lot to try to help someone. Sometimes not.

During the Ice Storm back in February, which affected a huge number of people in a huge area of the country (remember Texas's problem with the electric grid?), a Oklahoma woman paid for a motel room for a homeless transient. It's going to cost her at least another $3,800, out of her own pocket, because of the mans behavior.

Good Samaritan Faces Hefty Bill In Hotel Damages After Helping Man During Winter Weather

PURCELL, Okla. - A McClain County woman said she was completely shocked to learn the room she paid for someone to keep warm during winter weather was destroyed.
Jennifer Martinez said she helped several individuals with room and board ahead of this week's snowstorms.

“I can't even stand out here for very long without being cold,” Martinez said. “I couldn't imagine having to sleep out here overnight.”

Martinez said it wasn't just her who extended a helping hand. It was a group effort.

People in the community and hotel staff pitched in for extra nights and food but that all stopped Wednesday for one man staying at Ruby's Inn and Restaurant.

“He broke the window to the room, he dented the door, he tore the tables up, he broke the arms off of the chairs, he broke the mirror,” Martinez said.

Since Martinez's name is on the bill, she is responsible for about 3800 dollars in damages.

“I make bare income,” Martinez said. “I mean $3,800. I wouldn't even cover that with two of my full paychecks.”

The owner of the business said this is the second room destroyed this year. Most of the items destroyed must be special ordered and can take up to a month to be fixed.

Hotel staff said this is just piling on to their list of challenges they have experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Martinez said she understands and no one is at fault. She said the man she helped has a mental illness. The experience has her re-thinking how she'll help others going forward.

“In the future, I will still help,” Martinez said. “I would just provide a meal and a tent or a blanket or maybe try to get them help to get to a shelter instead of putting my name on the financials.”
LINK TO STORY

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Again, I reiterate my plan to shipping all of the long-term homeless out to one of the abandoned military bases in the desert.

All the bleeding hearts can go out there and work with them/we can turn a blind eye to how they get their drugs/dope out there, and if they want to try to work their way out of it, they can be put to work on assorted restoration projects.

That would leave the shelter system to deal with the battered spouses/run-aways/people impoverished by economic misadventure.

And we would get our public spaces back - and there'd be a real threat to hit the homeless with, when they get belligerent.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Just to clear up a few things:

The "homeless" people destroying our cities are actually drug addicts and/or hard-core alcoholics.
We don't owe them a damn thing.

Homeless encampments are actually drug dens. That's why there's needles, crime and filth all around them.

Tough love is the only thing that works with addicts. Even that is sketchy at best.

The solution?
Ask them if they want help to get clean and if they do, great. The city gov't can provide the help, but I would also make them work to help pay for it.

If they don't want help, run 'em out of town. But where will they go?, cry the dumb-ass leftists.
The answer? Who fucking cares. That's their problem.

The more these assholes are coddled and fed, the bigger the problem gets. Fucking tired of it.

Bingo. I was telling my wife just the other day that we need to round these folks up like stray cats and ship them off to a converted max security prison (we just happen to have one available here that’s been proposed for just such a purpose), put them through compelled treatment and “allow” them to work while inside. Follow up after release and if they willingly relapse, they need to be removed from society to a prison of some sort. Addiction is an awful, terrible disease, and it effects everyone around the addict. Leaving them to spread disease and shit all over everywhere is NOT the answer, and it is not a dignified way to treat people, despite what leftists claim. They know they’re using those people just the way we know it.

Some people live legitimately fucked up lives from start to finish because they were never shown the right way to deal with things. I think it’s ultimately our best move as a society to give those people a chance to learn, if it needs to be compulsory, so be it. But if they take that gift and then decide to go back to their old ways, they need to go away somewhere where they’re no longer bothering the healthy portion of society.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Good. And it's only going to get worse- much worse. I'm glad about that, because these clueless leftists bureaucrats are reaping what they've sown. I love it.

The sad part is the tax payers will not really feel any burden. The city will get federal money and never spend any of its own. The last covid package eliminated NY entire budget deficit. They can spend and spend and be given handout after handout.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all started when we labeled it a disease. Tell someone with cancer their disease will go away if they stop taking drugs or alcohol. A disease that goes away by choice isn’t a disease. Bleeding heart fucking nonsense. And yes, my family has experienced addiction first hand. It’s horrible. It’s also not a disease.

People who truly have diseases can’t be cured by a simple omission of said drug.

You can’t help people who don’t want help. They will continue to prey on the rest of us until we develop a backbone in regards to public policy. This policy won’t help the situation overall.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It all started when we labeled it a disease. Tell someone with cancer their disease will go away if they stop taking drugs or alcohol. A disease that goes away by choice isn’t a disease. Bleeding heart fucking nonsense.

Right. They don’t tell addicts they’re cured if they stop taking the drugs. They tell them it’s a life-long condition that they will have to treat every day, like diabetes.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
The Olympics will be here in 2028. By then, the streets will be as clear as the Beijing sky (circa 2008).

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The treatment is not taking the drugs and alcohol they willingly took in the first place, nice try.

Pretend it’s an incurable disease instead of a completely avoidable condition that is self inflicted.

Tell a diabetic that if they can avoid 2 things for the rest of their life they are cured. It’s not a disease. If you can stop the disease cold through abstinence it’s not a disease. That’s a crutch. By calling it a disease it removes personal responsibility from the equation. If someone was struck by a disease, they were powerless at its onslaught.

Addicts on our streets and our parks, causing crime and disease, need to be dealt with. Coddling them isn’t the answer. You guys say it’s not just addicts, ok, well if you get the addicts out of the equation then we deal with the next much smaller group.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post