SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What will scare a robin away?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will scare a robin away? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I have one that has been banging against the window above my door for three days driving us nuts and terrifying the dog. I can't shoot it so I need an alternative. Today I put a plastic bag up with a hook and it still thumps the glass!

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they do that when they see their own reflection. You could try some of that temporary decorative "frost" to cut the shine until it moves on.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
it is seeing its reflection in something. Figure out that, and it'll go away.

And try to figure out where it's building its nest...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Know any falconers?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I think the only fool-proof solution is death.

My folks had one of these things. Hit the glass so many times, he looked deranged and mentally scrambled. Kept flying into the living room windows, crapping all over them every time he hit. I think it only stopped when he finally died.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, usually they won't stop until they are dead. I have had to deal with several crazed birds over the years attacking the window in my sunroom and on my vehicles.

Actually picked off a Towhee from the passenger side mirror by shooting through the cab. I left the windows down as I was expecting him. He would attack the mirror for a few minutes, sit on top of it for a minute and then work his way down the hood putting fine scratches in it all the way across.

One shot and done.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Batgirl?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Catwoman.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A tennis racket.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A robin scarer.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Wormzilla

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Put up the bat signal and when Batman arrives tell him to take his side kick home and keep him there

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
A cat

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
plywood short term works

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
We had the same thing start 3 days ago.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had the same problem last summer. We borrowed our neighbor's kid's super soaker squirt gun. It worked really well. You can hit them from a pretty good distance.

Link

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Put a rubber snake near where the bird flies into the window. Works like a charm.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i think you need a dog thats not scared of a bird Razz

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Years ago, on a dreary Sunday afternoon, we were watching "The Ring" on DVD.

From the time the film started until it ended, a robin would smash into the window every few minutes. There was a tree about 10 feet from the window where it would perch.

Needless to say, we were really freaked out.

Soon after I cut down the tree.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post