SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travis' letter from the Alamo, February 24, 1836
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travis' letter from the Alamo, February 24, 1836 Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World:

Fellow citizens & compatriots—I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna—I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken—I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch—The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis

Lt. Col. comdt

P.S. The Lord is on our side—When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn—We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ericans_in_the_World

Remember the Alamo!

Remember Goliad!

(Sorry I missed posting this Sunday.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Remember the Alamo!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
If Col. Travis thought he was besieged by Mexicans, he should have stuck around for a while.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
They traded life for time.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
American Heroes.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Benchmark for character, that’s Texas Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKzPxVM06O8

Follow on to the letter. This clip brings tears to my eyes.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Was this originally posted on his FaceBook page? Or was it Instagram?

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Reading up on the Battle of the Alamo, the things that struck me were the average age of the Texans-- Travis was only 26-- and the damage they inflicted on a "siege force" ten times their size before being overrun.

Today's 26-year-olds are allowed to stay on Mom & Dad's health insurance.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

Let's take a closer look at the estimated 189 "Texans" who died at Alamo.

The majority (well over 100) were not residents of Texas.

They came from Tennessee (32) as Kentucky and the Carolinas. Europeans were well represented; eleven from England, ten from Ireland, others from Germany Denmark, Scotland and Wales. About 32 Europeans all totaled.

Of the maybe 80 documented Texas residents defending the Alamo only six were actually native born!

They were:Juan Abamillo, Juan Antonio Badillo, Carlos Espalier, Jose Maria (Gregorio) Esparza, Antonio Fuentes and Andes Nava. That's right -- Mexican nationals (Tejanos) who were fighting for Texas independence and against Santa Anna. As an aside, the way Texas Anglos later disenfranchised the many Tejano Heroes of the 1836 Revolution is shameful.

I understand that Texas (and the US) is proud to claim (in retrospect) all 189 of these patriots as "their own". But it's one hell of a stretch to call most of this group Texans. Well, unless dying on Texas soil automatically makes one a "Texan".

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:
quote:

They came from Tennessee (32), Kentucky and the Carolinas. Europeans were well represented; eleven from England, ten from Ireland, others from Germany Denmark, Scotland and Wales. About 32 Europeans all totaled.

Of the maybe 80 documented Texas residents defending the Alamo only six were actually native born!

They were:Juan Abamillo, Juan Antonio Badillo, Carlos Espalier, Jose Maria (Gregorio) Esparza, Antonio Fuentes and Andes Nava. That's right -- Mexican nationals (Tejanos) who were fighting for Texas independence and against Santa Anna. As an aside, the way Texas Anglos later disenfranchised the many Tejano Heroes of the 1836 Revolution is shameful.

I understand that Texas (and the US) is proud to claim (in retrospect) all 189 of these patriots as "their own". But it's one hell of a stretch to call most of this group Texans. Well, unless dying on Texas soil automatically makes one a "Texan".

"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They came from Tennessee (32), Kentucky and the Carolinas. Europeans were well represented; eleven from England, ten from Ireland, others from Germany Denmark, Scotland and Wales. About 30 Europeans all totaled.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And of note is Colonel Juan Seguin.

Ordered to take Travis' message to General Houston, his return was then delayed by Houston. As such, his attention to orders meant he was spared the fate of the Alamo defenders.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

I firmly believe that they paid for their citizenship with their blood, spilled in the name of independence and for each other.

No other documentation is needed.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I understand that Texas (and the US) is proud to claim (in retrospect) all 189 of these patriots as "their own". But it's one hell of a stretch to call most of this group Texans. Well, unless dying on Texas soil automatically makes one a "Texan"." pillboxesghost

Here I corrected your shallow statement ...

I understand Texas is proud to claim all 189 patriotic defenders of the Alamo as their own. Irrespective of race, creed or previous nationalities each died fighting on Texas soil for the right to be called a Texan by Texans forever more in the deepest respect humanly possible.

That sir is what they are and there is nothing "automatic" about a Texan in the ...end

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Thanks JHE88.
That letter still gives me chills.

To add to the discussion as to what makes these men Texans, they paid for their citizenship in blood. They earned it and are awe inspiring heroes to me.

Remember the Alamo!
Remember Goliad!

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Pretty sure choosing to fight for a nation, in an unwinnable battle, with no chance of surrender, gives that nation the right to claim you for her own.

OK, so I know I should fact check this, for the details - I know it's "mostly" right, but I could have gotten details fuzzy over the years.

B) History is really messed up on the Texas revolution. It started as a revolt to restore the Mexican Constitution of 1824, which Santa Ana had overthrown. As such, Santa Ana had to fight his way through Chihuahua and Jalisco before reaching Texas.

(Hence the reason why Bigfoot Wallace and the others went to Mexico shortly after Santa Ana's defeat - it wasn't that they thought they could overthrow Mexico with such a tiny force - its that they were trying to reignite a rebellion which had just been suppressed. Houston wanted Texas in the USA - many of the residents of Texas had intentionally left the USA - probably always with the intent of separating from Mexico, if Mexico pushed the matter.)

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They came from Tennessee (32) as Kentucky and the Carolinas. Europeans were well represented; eleven from England, ten from Ireland, others from Germany Denmark, Scotland and Wales. About 32 Europeans all totaled.

If you died fighting in the Texas Revolution for the revolution, you are Texan.

Fighting for the revolution, without being killed, is enough for me.

And of course there were a lot of immigrants. Texas was full of white immigrants to the Mexican colony lured there by land grants, economic opportunity, etc. The revolution was about the colonists' belief they were being unfairly treated by the central Mexican government. Some would have been happy to remain Mexican, but for that mistreatment. While the revolutionaries were mostly white, there were Hispanic revolutionaries, too.

What is your point? You aren't saying anything any student of Texas history doesn't know.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post