SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One Small Step for Man...49 Years Ago Today and Some Trivia
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Small Step for Man...49 Years Ago Today and Some Trivia Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
Some interesting info here.

http://www.armaghplanet.com/bl...st-moon-landing.html

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I often think of my grandmother, born the last day of 1899 and taken from us too soon at the age of 73. To go in her lifetime from the Wright Brothers to seeing a man landing on the moon. Must’ve been really amazing to her.

Posts: 12237 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Amazing times and accomplishments.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
There's some great stuff at that link, thanks for sharing it. We took our four year old son to KSC this summer and it was amazing. When we walked into the hangar with the Saturn V and all the lunar stuff, the look on his face was unforgettable. I kinda lost my breath for a minute, looking up at those engines. Just amazing stuff.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Amazing times and accomplishments.

Also, done with slide rules and less computing power than on many smartphones.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should any of you find yourself in Dayton OH, visit the USAF Museum. The entire history of flight, from the balloon age to space shuttle.
Amazing place. And free too. I used to skip school and ride my bike to see it.
I believe the Memphis Belle is there undergoing restoration.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing that surprised the astronauts who visited the Moon was the strong odor of the lunar dust which they were only able to smell when they got back inside the Lunar Module. While conducting experiments on the surface of the Moon the astronauts’ spacesuits gathered the moon dust in the creases of the suit, once the crew returned to the LM and removed their helmets the dust got everywhere even on their hands and faces (some astronauts even tasted it). After coming into contact with oxygen for the first time inside the Lunar Module, the four billion years old moon dust produced a pungent smell. As most of the astronauts had a military history they could compare the aroma to that of gun powder. Neil Armstrong described the dust’s scent as similar to wet ashes in a fireplace. This distinct smell remains a mystery as moon dust and gun powder have no similar compounds and the exact explanation remains unknown.

Never even thought about that...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have to confess, there is another reason I can remember the date. The first moon landing was supposed to happen on the 21st, the next day.
My birthday is the 21st and as a youngster I was thrilled that my birthday would also be memorialized as one of the larger events in human history, at least to me.
As I watched on the one station we received, CBS, they announced that things were going so well, the landing would be happening ahead of schedule and Neil Armstrong would be stepping onto the moon on the 20th.
The one time a government project was ahead of schedule and it was a great personal disappointment.

Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
my mother has been "cleaning" lately, so every time I go to visit she gives me a box or bag full of stuff that at one time or another belonged to me (or one of my brothers', I don't think she really cares)
but, anyway I was going through one of those boxes and found a 45 record of the communications of the moon landing. We all got one - it is really very cool....

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2038 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've already watched Buzz Aldrin punch that jackass conspiracy nut in the face a few times today. Smile

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Buzz was born a Moon baby.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I was six & a half when they landed on the moon. I was really excited about the landing (because I was going to be an astronaut, of course!) and also because my father had a tiny part in helping them get there. He worked in Huntsville on some of the circuitry for the Saturn V.

quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I often think of my grandmother, born the last day of 1899 and taken from us too soon at the age of 73. To go in her lifetime from the Wright Brothers to seeing a man landing on the moon. Must’ve been really amazing to her.

My paternal grandmother was born in January 1901 and I remember having this very conversation with her some years before she passed away in 1987. The changes over the lifespan of those of that generation were incredible and must have been almost mindblowing.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread drift, but 74 years ago today was the von Stauffenberg plot.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3635 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

I gotta say I don't think I have "The Right Stuff"...couldn't do it.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I read the book when it was first published - if you get a chance, read it.

Also, there is a book out there called 'Riding Rockets' by Mike Mullane - I highly recommend that one as well

I am currently working my way through a 5 volume set of books called 'Rockets and People' by Boris Chertok...

was just outside looking at the moon this afternoon, mid way to the zenith, thunder clouds all around, but a patch of blue sky and the moon

hard to believe it was almost 50 years ago, and of the 12 that went there, only 4 are left

I missed my chance to meet Gene Cernan last year

his book is probably one of my favorites

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
snip

I gotta say I don't think I have "The Right Stuff"...couldn't do it.

Looks like a good movie. Too bad they ruined it casting Ryan Gosling as Armstrong.

I remember this day well. Sitting in the living room in front of the black and white Zenith. And, after adjusting the rabbit ears, hearing, "That's one small step for man...". Me and my brothers were blown away.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

Alan B Shepard; first American in space and first person to play golf on the moon - gotta love sailors!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool stuff!! Amazing what they did with what they had.

Posts: 4137 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
And I am sure we all know the first words spoken on the moon?

“Rock beats scissors.....sit your ass down Buzz”. Smile

Actually I think it was “contact light, shutdown”.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post