SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please Help Me Repair My Old Spatula
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please Help Me Repair My Old Spatula Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted
I have this vintage spatula, it's probably from the 60's. It's American made. The handle is starting to break apart. Yes, I could get a new one, and I may do that. But I don't want to give up on the old one.

I don't know what the handle is made of. The rivets are in pretty solid. Is there anything I can use to reform or rebuild the black handle material?

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Gorilla Glue, if you still have the other piece.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This might do it.

I have done repairs to Bakelite and Phenolic using "break off and knead" putty like epoxy, but cannot remember the name of the product, but the JB Weld below seems like it.

It was softer than typical JB Weld and easier to work and contour the repair.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Wel...a-526005054381&psc=1

Or find a knife maker and they can make you new scales and repair it like fac-tree.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’d have a woodworker fabricate a new handle out of some dark hardwood.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have tried repairs like that with the 2-part puttys with less than stellar results, especially cosmetically. I think I'd treat it like a knife build, cut/drill out the rivets, and replace the phenolic with wood scales, fastened with new rivets, then sand down to a comfortable fit. I say knife build because a knife builder supply house should have everything you need in one place.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
This might do it.

I have done repairs to Bakelite and Phenolic using "break off and knead" putty like epoxy, but cannot remember the name of the product, but the JB Weld below seems like it.

It was softer than typical JB Weld and easier to work and contour the repair.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Wel...a-526005054381&psc=1

Or find a knife maker and they can make you new scales and repair it like fac-tree.
Sugru may be what you’re thinking of.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A knifemakers supply company will sell you handle materials of many different kinds and new rivets, too. My choice would be G10 or Micarta.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yup, a Maker of Knives knows how to do this...Take a look at some of Dozer's work in the Essential Edge sub-forum, and maybe consult YouTube. Whether you do it, or you find someone to do it for you, it will be better than new afterwards. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Jantz knife making supplies has everything you’d need. I’d add nice new wood scales (handle). Or you can get colored composites.

1 set of scales, epoxy, really nice mosaic rivets, not hard to do at all.

I like to restore old quality kitchen knives needing new scales, you can do this.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to go to Spatula City.

https://youtu.be/4BUDwj_mXKE

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A knifemakers supply company will sell you handle materials of many different kinds and new rivets, too. My choice would be G10 or Micarta.

That's what I would do. That spatula should be pretty easy to put new scales on and finish.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

https://youtu.be/4BUDwj_mXKE

Man, I’ve been there. I have a bit of a spatula problem.

That was a commercial on the Rush Limbaugh Show!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Smile

$50 fixed

Three options

Ebay was the first place I looked. Bought several other vintage kitchen utensils there. I will probably just try to put a new handle on mine, per the good advice above.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^. There are good YouTube videos for that, recommend you check out a few.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can buy the handle material from Smoky Mountain Knife Works . Rivets too .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Bondo

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
...and keep it out of the dishwasher.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
That spatula is begging for a G-10 handle. https://knifemaking.com/collec.../g10-handle-material

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post