SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paying income tax upon selling item. New laws?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paying income tax upon selling item. New laws? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Ok, so there is a place on a form where I show my math on that individual transaction?, and the loss is deducted from the sale, not my income, thus muting out the 1099k report from eBay or Reverb? Because as I've said, I do not, and really can not itemize my normal tax return.

1099s have zip, nadda, zero, nothing to do with your deductions, period, exclamation point! I don’t know why you keep bringing your deductions up.

Yes, for each type of 1099 there is a place on your return to report that information and any additional relevant information. Take a 1099-INT, which most people have some experience with (well maybe not lately), it reports the amount of interest you earned on a particular account. Like a savings account, CD, bond, etc. You would report this on Schedule B.

I don’t know which form you report a 1099-K on as I’ve never had to, but if there’s a gain, it will eventually flow through to Schedule D. If there’s no gain and what was sold was not held for investment, whatever form of the 1040 that’s used to report 1099-K’s is as far as that information will go on your return.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
i think the tax laws are too complicated

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Anyone ready to get on board with "taxation is theft" yet?

The whole system needs to be gutted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Anyone ready to get on board with "taxation is theft" yet?

The whole system needs to be gutted.

I vote for shoot the bastards!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, web boards, those will be the venues for 1099 adverse people.

Folks that are not making a living selling old items, and don't like or want to mess with 1099's are going to go underground.

Others will sell one time on EweBay and get a 1099, get upset and never list again..

Governments think there are billions in tax revenue from these sales unreported, people think they pay enough and taxes are overcomplicated.

Voters will never change out the people in charge.

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's simplify.

I buy a $1000 set of golf clubs. And I decide I hate them and sell them a week later for $550 on eBay. They send me after fees $500.

I believe I will be taxed $500, and I do not believe there is a way for me to deduct the $500 more that I paid, let alone the $50.

Here is more info showing you will not have to pay tax in your situation. Also hopefully the lobbying will result in reversing this new reporting requirement.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercen...ebay-and-your-1099-k

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
To simplify, if the sale amount meets a threshold required, be it $600 or otherwise, this only results in a requirement to send in a 1099, so the government knows you sold that item for that amount. It DOES NOT mean you have to pay taxes in the amount of the 1099.

Get a 1099 for $5000? Item cost you $5001? You have no gain, and thus no taxes owed.

In the past you probably ignored all that (ebven if there was a gain). Now, if you get a 1099, you have to report it in your return because the IRS knows about it. So you show the sale and your cost and you have no gain.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Will a sale between forum members be hit for taxes? How about face to face (non gun) sales. Or gun consignment at your LGS

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Face to face? Do cash and nobody knows what happened or didn't happen. Gun consignment involves paperwork so lots of people will know.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
No its just online sales that are reported, like stuff on Ebay etc. Before the new law you could sell up to 20K per year w/o reporting. Then they dropped that to 600.00, which is now delayed to be re-worked.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I saw today that the IRS announced they were delaying this until next year.
I guess to give our dumber than a stump Congress a little time to rethink this train-wreck they created.

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxe...ew-form-1099-k-rules

Posts: 9544 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Good news

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...ays-600-gig-tax-rule

It'll be good news when it's permanently shelved.

Rotten bastards.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30431 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
So I get that if it is actual income you should be reporting it as so.

What I would like to know is what documentation you have to do and how complicated it is to “write off” transactions that aren’t income.

Gists are not income, I have to people each gift me $300 over the course of the year and now I get a 1099 for $600. What do I have to do to show it wasn’t income? Just not include it? But the IRS gets the 1099 info as well. If I don’t do something with it, will it be a potential flag for audit?

If I buy a $1000 camera this year and sell it for $750 next year, I get a 1099. How do I report the original cost to show there was no profit (income)?

Just like the government to spend $1000 to try and collect $100 while giving away $1,000,000

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10953 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Rotten bastards.

I'm going to guess you're not the only one that feels that way.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." ~ H. L. Mencken

That's what this $600 1099 amounts to. Something to take our mind off stolen elections. Cassius Clay taught rope a dope in the 1960s.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Looks like the IRS is about to start this nonsense back up now, chasing everyone down for anything over $600

Starting with going after your sports and Taylor Swift tickets:

Ticketmaster, StubHub to report resales of over $600 to IRS

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.irs.gov/publicatio...22_publink1000229580

Publication 525 has a good number of examples and different scenarios.

Posts: 716 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I wonder about a garage sale of many things that each sold for pennies on the dollar but the total take is over 600$.

How about selling a Hammerli to a forum member out of state for a profit?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's simplify.

I buy a $1000 set of golf clubs. And I decide I hate them and sell them a week later for $550 on eBay. They send me after fees $500.

I believe I will be taxed $500, and I do not believe there is a way for me to deduct the $500 more that I paid, let alone the $50.

False. You would show $550 received - $50 in costs and $1000 in cost of goods sold. Net loss is $500. No tax owed. You cannot use the loss to offset any other tax if the goods were for personal use and enjoyment only. If you buy and sell as a business, then you may be able to use that loss to offset other income. It will increase your work in filing a tax return because you will have a business income form for your tax return.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post