SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new PaceMaker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new PaceMaker Login/Join 
posted
On April 21 I had a problem with my heart that necessities the use of a PaceMaker installed in my chest. As I was getting ready to be released from the hospital I was given instructions on what not to do so the wires from the pacemaker would not be pulled loose. The docs never mentioned shooting but common sense tells me the recoil could cause problems. Anyone have an experience with this or how long do I have to wait before I can resume range time. I shoot mostly hand guns, 9mms.
Thank you for any assistance.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife was shooting a .45 four months after her pacemaker was implanted. She shoots right hand.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azranger45
posted Hide Post
I had a pacemaker put in about 7 years ago and have had no problems shooting 9mm, 45ACP, 38Spec, 223/5.56 and the always fun 22. That said, I am right handed and the pacemaker is on the left side of my chest above my heart. Don't know if that makes a difference. Good luck.

Posts: 359 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
I have a pacemaker installed high on the left side of my chest. I shoot .357 magnums using my right hand. There have been no problems. You probably have a manual with some details about the pacemaker. There may be a phone number in the manual you could call. I'll check the manual that came with my pacemaker and if there is any comment about using firearms I will add the info.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
I just reviewed a booklet my doctor gave me a few years back:

"Avoid unusual straining - for instance, during a bowel movement: ask your doctor to recommend a laxative. Don't lift heavy weights, such as packed suitcases, bags of groceries, or children, and don't try to move furniture around, open a stuck window, or force a jar lid."

Avoid all of the following activities: heavy cleaning (mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, and washing walls and woodwork); gardening, including digging, hoeing, raking leaves, car washing, golf, tennis, bike riding, and bowling.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
There should be no problems, once you fully heal.
Ask your cardiologist how long that should be.
Those things are fairly useful. You don't want to guess and "jump the gun" Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I will see my cardiologist on the 18th and check with him on how soon I can go to the range. I also have an appointment with the appliance tech on the 25th to check to make sure it's working and do any adjustment.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
ArLEOret,
By any chance do you have AF?
That is my diagnosis and if if heart rate cannot be controlled by medication, facing ablation and pacemaker install.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a blockage between upper and lower chambers and both were firing but out of sync. Pacemaker corrected this but had to be corrected because out put voltage was set too low. Seems to be ok now after third trip to the hospital.

Officers lives matter!

posted Hide Post
I'm 2 weeks into my Pacemaker/defibrillator and at my checkup last Thursday they said all was healing very well. They released me from all restrictions except from reaching high over my head.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a heart monitor today, for the next 48 hours, hope it does not lead to pacemake.
Hope you do well on it.
Do you feel any better since it was installed or does it take more time?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
I'm wired to a heart monitor as I'm writing this. It comes off tomorrow, and I'm hoping a pacemaker won't be necessary to correct my atrial fibrillation. It has been a sporadic thing, but seems to be getting worse with age. Guess it's good to know it shouldn't interfere with shooting.

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel

Posts: 1018 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the pacemaker I feel normal and my BP/Pulse is normal. At one time prior to the PM my pulse dropped to 32. This is when my daughter took me to the ER. While in the ER it went to zero! I got zapped with the paddles! Now it seems normal and I take my BP at home to check.

Officers lives matter!

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
ArLEORet, I could give you professional advice as a cardiologist, but what the hell. You need to get information from your cardiologist, not an Internet forum. If your cardiologist doesn't know he/she can look it up or check with tech support of the pacemaker company: they are the ones who have the most information.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sjtill, I was just realating my experiences. I have full confidence in my medical staff. I have an appointment with my appliance people next week. Thank you for your interest. I would welcome any information you would like to share.

Officers lives matter!

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a pacer/defreb combo. He has no problems shooting, but stay away from arc welders! He approached another friend while he was doing some welding and the pacer started zapping him. Seems the magnetic field created by the welder screwed with the pacer.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2683 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I've had a pacemaker since Aug. '12. Waited 3 or 4 months before shooting and have had no problems.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post