SIGforum
Labor Day Weekend 2026 Grilling/Fun thread.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3040030225

September 03, 2026, 10:26 AM
xd45man
Labor Day Weekend 2026 Grilling/Fun thread.
So Miss XD is off at Troy University for her first semester. She sends me a text saying she is craving a big fat Daddy grilled Ribeye. I'm sure many of you have children and know how rare it is for them to praise anything you do. This weekend she is coming home and I am going to sell a kidney to afford the biggest, fattest, juiciest Ribeye I can find. I'm excited man, I'm going to bake potatoes on the grill and make some honey corn. Honey corn is awesome, but it can funk up your grill if you let it. I take fresh ears of corn, wash them and then coat them heavily with butter, salt and pepper. Then I place it on aluminum foil and slather it with honey. Roll it up tight and then grill those bad boys on high heat until the honey caramelizes. It's a guessing game for when they are done, but watch out for honey leakage as it can cause serious flare ups.

So what is everyone doing this holiday weekend?


Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
September 03, 2026, 10:49 AM
vthoky
One of my friends at work came into the office yesterday afternoon and we talked business for a few minutes. Then he said, "now on to the important question: what are you cooking this weekend?" Big Grin

I'll be visiting family this weekend, so my own grill and smoker will be cold. Otherwise, there would be a big ol' pork butt on the smoker. Love it when the wind is just right and the neighbors can get a whiff of it! Razz

We're doing a burgers-and-dogs cookout at work tomorrow... that counts, right?




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
September 03, 2026, 10:50 AM
xd45man
^Absolutely it counts. We are bombed with worries and trouble all the time, hangin out and cooking burgers and dogs is awesome.


Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
September 03, 2026, 10:55 AM
konata88
Al and high heat doesn't sound appealing.

I grill corn in the husk (I remove some, leave a few layers on). I wonder if you can peel the husk back, do the coating and honey, wrap the husk back on and then use Al. But the husk may be too moist - may not caramelize the honey as you like. That being said, I want to try this. Need to buy some cheaper honey - all I've got right now is locust and tupelo which seems overkill for this.

Usually I cook in the husk, then when done, peel off the husk, apply some sweetened soy sauce to the corn, then grill again for a few minutes. Kinda sweet and salty with a grilled soy sauce flavor.

Steaks are expensive around here ($30-35/lb) so I'll be doing burgers.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
September 03, 2026, 10:58 AM
chbibc
Assuming weather cooperation, we'll be spending time on the water Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Monday we're planning on relaxing at home and grilling some venison (which I will accompany with bourbon).


-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.
September 03, 2026, 11:48 AM
trapper189
At current prices, beef is a rare commodity in the university dining halls.
September 03, 2026, 11:59 AM
xd45man
^Truth. My daughter says its pretty much salad and pizza unless you go to one of the branded restaurants. She usually eats Healthy Choice microwaveable meals. Not my choice but whatever. She got a membership to the unlimted classes at the rec center and is taking Yoga and Spin. The freshman 15 stands no chance. I think she has toned up since school started.


Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
September 03, 2026, 12:47 PM
trapper189
My daughter didn’t do sports to begin with, so she’s going to get way more exercise than she’s used to just walking around. My wife walked 11 miles a day the three days she stayed when we dropped my daughter off.

My oldest son was a swimmer, but does no aerobic exercise in college, so he’s not as lean as he was. He lifts weights and rock climbs though and has put on more muscle than fat.

It’s just going to be my youngest son, Dad, and me this weekend. I’ll be grilling NY strips, which my daughter wouldn’t eat anyway. Wife is in SC for a weekend with her sisters and oldest son will be in Oregon studying volcanoes.
September 03, 2026, 04:39 PM
P250UA5
No grilling plans, but my wife & I are headed to Pensacola for the long weekend once the kids are off to school tomorrow.




The Enemy's gate is down.
September 03, 2026, 07:47 PM
scratchy
No plans. Still moving. After Labor Day, I will go get a new Traeger and learn to use it.


_________________
This space left intentionally blank.
September 03, 2026, 07:56 PM
fischtown7
I keep expecting to see loan applications in the meat department/butcher at the store.
September 04, 2026, 06:00 AM
ruger357
Probably a butt and ribs on the Weber kettle.


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
September 04, 2026, 06:40 AM
ArtieS
It's Florida in the summer. I'll be inside, or in the pool. It's swamp ass season here.



"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
September 04, 2026, 11:27 AM
Georgeair
Early boat ride with family coming for the weekend on the lake, probably 2-3 hours.
Then back home well in advance of Auburn game, everyone suggested and is bringing tailgate/Super Bowl type snacks so no cooking.

Sunday is a smoked Top Blade Roast from Porter Road. This is the new bomb-diggity that was originated at Leroy and Lewis, a Michelin-starred BBQ joint in Austin. It's like a cross between brisket and beef ribs in flavor, a couple in our family have declared they like it more than brisket. I don't know about all that, but it is really good!



You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

September 04, 2026, 11:34 AM
RogueJSK
Working a 12 hour patrol shift tomorrow, then off through Wednesday.

Considering it's still going to be 100+ for the next week or so, I don't plan to do much outside (on my days off at least).

I'm dying for some cooler weather.