SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else taking extra virgin olive oil as a health supplement??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else taking extra virgin olive oil as a health supplement?? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've also begun adding more and more olive oil to my cooking, for the health benefits. And, although somewhat controversial, it is said to be the only fat that is not fattening.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EVOO is my standard cooking oil, if you're able to incorporate it into your standard cooking then you won't need to take any supplemental pills.

Price has gone up the last couple of years but, Kirkland EVOO remains pretty good value and grades well for all-purpose use. California grown/processed olive oil is just as good as any of the top-tier European stuff so, unless you're really taken with a particular type, there's no need to buy imported stuff.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Flax Seed Oil

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2259 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve replaced the margarine I’d been using on my morning toast with EVOO. Good stuff

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I cook with olive oil often enough.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Thanks for the replies!

I also eat a medium size avocado every day starting a few months back, they are 50 cents at local Woodmans, usually have a peanut butter sandwich as part of lunch, have gone from skim milk to 2% milk, and eating more baked salmon.

Been taking California Olive Ranch medium 100 percent California olives.

Maybe put the EVOO on your Avacado on top of a nice green iceberg lettuce with chopped red onion, celery, and tomatos that way you'll get everything in one meal!

We get the Costco EVOO, great price and it's good stuff and, nearby...

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Most of my cooking is with evoo.. so I do not supplement. Maybe I should?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My coat is shinier.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Being Italian, we’ve been using “oil” as my grandmother would call it forever.

Funny side story. About 20 years ago we went to NYC to visit my Grandmother who lived in the same house since she went through Ellis Island in 1947. Sitting around the kitchen table she was complaining about how much things costs and out of the blue asked me how much I was paying for oil. At first I wasn’t sure what she was talking about as me being a car guy was thinking “she doesn’t even have a car why would she want to know how much I paid for a quart of motor oil?” Then I realized she was talking about Olive Oil. From that point on we would bring her a bottle whenever we visited her…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been taking about a tablespoon every evening for about a month and a half now.

I noticed, about two weeks ago, that much of the pain/discomfort and what I thought was arthritis in some of my joints has disappeared.

Still having trouble with my right hand, lots of problems doing "things" but you can relate to this: I can't easily cock single action revolvers and opening Microtech OTFs is tough though the Plastic Surgeons at our VA are working on this (no, I didn't share the gun and knife stuff with them) with steroid injections and it is better-significantly. If it regresses, they'll do surgery.

But the rest of this decrepit old body is feeling so much better and the sole change I have made is the EVOO.

I saw this thread just after I started with the EVOO, maybe for two weeks. Glad to see there are others doing it and I don't feel so......uhhhhh-crazy for trying this.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
We get the Costco EVOO, great price and it's good stuff and, nearby...
But the price keeps going up and up and....

Posts: 9050 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Few years ago,I read an article about the EVOO fraud (no link, because I don't remember where I read it but I do remember that it was a reputable source). They mentioned a couple brands that were the real stuff. The one that sticks in my mind is Costco's Kirkland Signture brand.
Was it this one?

U. of California chemistry and sensory testing - EVOO

The brands that failed:

Antica Badia
Bertolli
Carapelli
Colavita
Coricelli
Felippo Berio
Mazola
Mezzetta
Pompeian
Primadonna
Safeway
Sasso
Star
Whole Foods

The brands that passed:

Bariani
California Olive Ranch
Cobram Estate
Corto Olive
Kirkland Organic
Lucero
Lucini
McEvoy Ranch Organic
Olea Estates
Omaggio
Ottavio

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
...Lucini

For years now I've been using COR. A few months back I bought some Lucini through them and it is fantastic. Much better, IMO, than the COR. It is, of course, spendier, but worth it I think.

Posts: 20117 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been cooking with Rustico di Casa Asaro unfiltered EVOO for many years from HEB. Fantastic taste and good price. I don't use it as a supplement though.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
There is a significantly un-healthy and toxic manner in which most seed oils are processed by the time they end up in food that we eat. A lot of times the factories will use insanely strong chemicals to "neautralize" adverse and oderous flavors, then they bleach it to remove color. Canola oils, palm oils, shit they use to make the mac-n-cheese texture just right... It's BAD for ya.

Olive oil is one of the safer ones because it's easier to extract. I love the kinds infused with peppers.

You need a certain amount of fat in your diet. I still like to sear steaks in butter,
If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right...

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
You need a certain amount of fat in your diet. I still like to sear steaks in butter,
If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right...

Then make sure that before serving you add a pat of butter on top after removing the steak from the grill. To balance the diet.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I've been taking about a tablespoon every evening for about a month and a half now.

I noticed, about two weeks ago, that much of the pain/discomfort and what I thought was arthritis in some of my joints has disappeared.

Still having trouble with my right hand, lots of problems doing "things" but you can relate to this: I can't easily cock single action revolvers and opening Microtech OTFs is tough though the Plastic Surgeons at our VA are working on this (no, I didn't share the gun and knife stuff with them) with steroid injections and it is better-significantly. If it regresses, they'll do surgery.

But the rest of this decrepit old body is feeling so much better and the sole change I have made is the EVOO.

I saw this thread just after I started with the EVOO, maybe for two weeks. Glad to see there are others doing it and I don't feel so......uhhhhh-crazy for trying this.

Bob

Thanks for the feedback and that is great to hear! What brand olive oil have you been using?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
It seems that the whole problem with getting authentic EVOO may be overblown. Links below may be of interest.

https://www.aboutoliveoil.org/...ified-olive-oil-list

https://www.aboutoliveoil.org/olive-oil-myths-facts

You'll be pleased to know this is "fake news."

"Peer-reviewed research conducted by the FDA found no confirmed adulteration in any of the 88 random samples tested in Washington, D.C.-area retail stores. The FDA's findings mirror the results of the NAOOA's two decades of robust monitoring efforts, which have found that 98% of olive oil sold in U.S. retail outlets is authentic."

From what I have read there are two primary health components to olive oil. The Omega 9 fatty acids, oleic acid mainly, and the polyphenol content. Both regular olive oil and EVOO have about the same content of Omega 9 fatty acids while EVOO has much more polyphenols, due to how it is processed, both of which can reduce inflammation and have other possible health benefits though the amount of polyphenols can vary widely depending on where the olives are grown, with Mediterranean among the best, and then even vary between seasons. Myself I also take cocoa powder with my morning protein shake which has far more polyphenols quantity wise anyhow. In particular I add Navitas cacao powder. However there are many different types of polyphenols too so I am glad to have both in my diet.

https://navitasorganics.com/products/cacao-powder

https://health.clevelandclinic...enefits-of-olive-oil

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What brand? Well, I got one bottle from some folks in England. It was kinda expensive (maybe $20-$25, IIRC), but actually good tasting.

Problem was, it took over a month to get to me, England to Portugal to Spain and then, finally, to the US. And every couple of days I'd get another solicitation to buy something else. Finished the first bottle from them, but simply didn't want to be bothered with all the "offers," so adios to England.

Otherwise, I've been buying Mina from my Publix and it's pretty good, and not as expensive as the British oil. Spanish, has the same peppery aftertaste as others I've tried and seems to be working.

Mina does come in a plastic bottle, but the amount is fairly small so it doesn't last long when I take a snort every evening. I am, however, considering switching to a brand in a glass bottle or purchasing a glass container for the olive oil I buy in plastic.

We have a different brand, considerably cheaper, we cook with.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post