SIGforum
How do you get CSI fingerprint dust off clear poly finished cabinets?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3030019054

December 15, 2018, 05:21 PM
trapper189
How do you get CSI fingerprint dust off clear poly finished cabinets?
Long story, but I have some clear polyurethane finished maple cabinets that were dusted for fingerprints 4 years ago. I'm trying now for the first time to clean them. Soap and water hasn't worked.

Ideas?
December 15, 2018, 05:28 PM
ulsterman
4 years is a long time. 1/4 teaspoon dish washing detergent to about a pint of water. Might have to +/- the detergent and/or the water.
December 15, 2018, 05:32 PM
TXJIM
Try wet sanding it with 1000 grit paper by hand.

December 15, 2018, 05:44 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Try wet sanding it with 1000 grit paper by hand.

If it was me, I’d be influenced to started with much finer than that, say 2-3,000 grit. Without pics, it’s hard to say and I’m not expert, but the poly finish directs my reply. In a former job, I had occasion to sand platics and 1000 grit was for surface leveling and we worked up to 3,000 grit before buffing to make it smooth. The thickness of the finish would dictate the best recourse. Likely, a bit of Flitz on a soft rag may just well do the job.

December 15, 2018, 05:54 PM
Greymann
I'd try a little WD-40, test it somewhere out of sight first.
December 15, 2018, 05:55 PM
chellim1
Who'd you kill?
Razz
Try Murphy's oil soap mixed with water. It's what I clean wood with. You may need to wet an old toothbrush and scrub a bit...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
December 15, 2018, 06:32 PM
bigpond73
Fire. Lots of it. Than some more fire Wink.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
December 15, 2018, 06:39 PM
Cous2492
I am a crime scene detective. I don't know about stuff that has been sitting for four years, but we typically tell people windex. There is also a product made specifically for removal of fingerprint powder. I looked online, but don't see it in any of the suppliers catalogs. It's called powder blaster or something like that. I'll look at work Sunday when I go in.
December 15, 2018, 06:41 PM
a1abdj
^^^ I suspect it's been pushed into the surface of the poly now, which is why it's being stubborn.

www.zykansafe.com
December 15, 2018, 06:44 PM
copaup
When I worked CSI I always suggested Windex or another cleaner that contained ammonia. Sitting there that long though I'd be concerned that it's actually worked itself into the finish.
December 15, 2018, 07:11 PM
GrumpyBiker
Acetone

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

December 15, 2018, 07:45 PM
urbanwarrior238
409 cleaner?

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member
December 15, 2018, 08:33 PM
MikeinNC
Windex is what we told people after dusting, but after the fact and four years...its in the poly. Sand it with 2000 or OOOO steel wool.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
December 15, 2018, 11:31 PM
ftttu
I felt sorry for the people with property which I or our crime scene technicians dusted. Sometimes, I'd use the victim's paper towels, a little water and a dab of dish soap. Windex and just regular cleaning sprays work as stated above. Also, don't forget many powders are volcanic ash so be careful.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve
December 16, 2018, 05:00 AM
trapper189
Thank you all for the suggestions. We haven't used the cabinets in four years, so it's interesting the dust works it's way into to finish without external force. I'll try the Windex first and work my way towards the more destructive methods.

I'll probably skip tbe acetone. I already had an unintentional experience with it on our dining room table.
December 16, 2018, 05:23 AM
HayesGreener
Scott's Liquid Gold

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
December 16, 2018, 07:16 AM
cndrdk
Here's a short version of a long story. Back in late '70's I was detective working auto theft. Had a gentleman come in early one morning crying and moaning that his new silver edition Pontiac Trans Am had been stolen. Seems he had picked up his "favorite" prostitute and spent night at a motel. When he awoke, his "favorite" was gone and so was his Trans Am. Fellow was adamant about prosecution, so I started all the paper work including affidavit that he had not given permission for her to drive vehicle, etc. The "favorite" was quite known by the squad and we had been wanting a solid charge on her for some time. Everyone in overdrive, APB put out, detectives checking informants and such. Later that day car was located, abandoned, with keys in ignition. I drove owner to the recovery scene (few blocks from the motel), it was indeed a beautiful vehicle, silver in color with SILVER LEATHER interior, however, owner then states he just wanted us to find his car and did not want to press charges on his "favorite". I actually think he got drunk and forgot where he parked his car and just made up story wanting us to find it for him. Anyway, before releasing vehicle to the owner, I told the ID tech "dust it for prints", (wink, wink)
December 16, 2018, 08:13 AM
joel9507
Would something like automotive clay be worth a shot? That adheres to dirt and with proper lubrication, sticks to the dirt (and not the lube) and pulls it off.

Might be different pulling from off poly-finished wood, or course, but if I had some auto clay handy, I might spray a hidden bit of the affected surface with friendly lube (Murphy Oil Soap?) and try some clay.
December 16, 2018, 08:34 AM
Loaded Round
Magic Eraser?
December 16, 2018, 09:27 AM
Wreckless
Remember those cars in the 80's that had their silver paint peel off in a short amount of time? Well I had a vehicle broken into over night and there was a nice fresh hand print on the roof over the driver's door. Perfect! grabbed the dust kit and got an amazing full right hand print. I applied the acetate hinged lifter and proceeded to pull the silver paint right off the roof. Oops, sorry.

La Dolce Vita