SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota RAV4 Owners - Rear Spoiler/Deflector?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota RAV4 Owners - Rear Spoiler/Deflector? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The rear hatch/rear window on my 2020 RAV4 (which I LOVE, BTW) gets totally slimed with road slush in about half a mile. I have to run the rear wiper pretty much continuously and hit the washer frequently to be able to see out of it. The lens for the camera gets slimed too.

I know some vehicles use a rear mounted spoiler/wind deflector to reduce the amount of crud building up on the back of the car.

Anyone have one on a RAV4? If so, how well does it work? Brand/Model? Source?

I see some on Amazon but all the reviews are about how cool it looks, not whether or not it works.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I have a RAV4 (2017 model year) and know the area that gets slimed. I have learned to deal with the minor crud we get in NC, but I bet Maine winter roads generate an entirely different caliber of smearage.

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has tried that, and what their results were.

To be honest, as a Mech E I'll hazard a guess that anything that threw enough air far enough and fast enough to keep that area of the back window clean would have significant impact to drag, and thus gas mileage.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

To be honest, as a Mech E I'll hazard a guess that anything that threw enough air far enough and fast enough to keep that area of the back window clean would have significant impact to drag, and thus gas mileage.

Yeah, I kinda suspect the same thing.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same problem with my new Challenger. It can suck up enough blown snow to obscure the taillights and rear camera.
And it has a lip on the trunk. Or spoiler. Or something.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Use your side mirrors more in such a situation.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Well, yeah...

Mostly I'm worried about the salt-laden grime causing issues with my paint. That and it pretty much makes the back up camera useless.

Pain in the ass to have to hose it off after every trip but I'm not seeing an alternative.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Rejex on the rear windshield with excellent results. Needs to be applied in warmer weather. Apply 2 or 3 applications, everything slides off.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
I’ve used Rejex on the rear windshield with excellent results. Needs to be applied in warmer weather. Apply 2 or 3 applications, everything slides off.

Never thought to use Rejex like that. I’ll have to try it.
My work truck -a 2011 4Runner- has the same exact problem as your RAV4. I have driven 45k miles in 18 months, and that rear window getting gummed up is really my only gripe with the vehicle.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
If worried about the finish, put several coats of wax on the area and hose the salt off as often as possible.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Well, yeah...

Mostly I'm worried about the salt-laden grime causing issues with my paint. That and it pretty much makes the back up camera useless.

Pain in the ass to have to hose it off after every trip but I'm not seeing an alternative.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have rear deflectors/spoilers on all of my cars from factory. They don't help with keeping the rear window clean.

I believe the deflector/spoiler is just for aesthetics, possibly for aero noise/efficiency, but some even have cutouts that direct air straight down onto the glass. If anything, I think the spoiler breaking up the flow would cause more slime to come up and stick?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No way to get around the grime build-up on the rear of SUV's and Crossovers. They have a larger, squared off rear end that creates a larger area of low pressure that sucks that grime to the surface more readily than a more aerodynamic sedan or sports car.

As far as the back up camera you just have to get into the habit of wiping it off with a wet cloth or lick one of your fingers to wipe it off and then use a dry cloth or finger to wipe it dry until you wash the car. Never wipe it with a dry cloth or finger alone as you will just drag the grit across the glass lens and eventually scratch it.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
All backup cameras get rendered useless here in the winter and my wife's Rav4 does get exceptionally nasty on the back end in the winter. I taught her to lick her finger and rub the camera lens every time she walks around the back of it. Beyond that I tell her to watch Gumball Rally and she'll learn that whatsa behind her is a not important. I do give her truck a good detail in the fall and again in early spring to try and protect the paint.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. Pretty much what I expected the answer would be.

Tip for camera lens cleaning: If you need to apply the wet finger treatment more than once, don't use the same finger...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Thanks, all. Pretty much what I expected the answer would be.

Tip for camera lens cleaning: If you need to apply the wet finger treatment more than once, don't use the same finger...

Hmmm. Inquiring minds want to know....LOL

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post