SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Name the planes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the planes Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
Technically it should be 'Name the Aircraft' but I digress.

So, boys and girls, it's another chapter of guessing what they are, Mojojo will probably guess tham all. AGAIN. Wink Annnyway, here are the new contestants.

Answers on a postcard to: Clubleaf206 Productions, a division of Clubleaf206 Heavy Industries. Or, just answer here, that works, too.

Posts: 12231 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll only name 2 of them so others can play Razz

Top right: Grumman E1 Tracer
Bottom: Flettner Fl282 Kolibri

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6775 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Unless someone wants me to name the one in the top left. Big Grin

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6775 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Aero
Wi Tu Phat

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Google Images says Northrop Gamma.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16826 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E-2C Hawkeye?

Posts: 4750 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Name the planes? OK.

From L to R:

Edna, Winnie and Gunther.

Posts: 4243 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My google-fu is failing me on the top left.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Google Images says Northrop Gamma.

Image search shows those odd looking ailerons, looks like a winner.

Had to look up the Kolibri, interesting concept.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
odd looking ailerons

They only seem to appear on some models. I wonder what their design function was?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16826 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
odd looking ailerons

They only seem to appear on some models. I wonder what their design function was?

Seems like it would be more drag mounted that way. Can't tell if it's a double aileron, or fixed wing & external aileron

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, found some info. They were nicknamed "park-bench ailerons" and allowed the use of full-span trailing edge flaps. They were later deleted and replaced with a more conventional partial flap and inset aileron configuration.

aero source inc

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
And now for something completely different:

Wink

Posts: 9384 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, found some info. They were nicknamed "park-bench ailerons" and allowed the use of full-span trailing edge flaps. They were later deleted and replaced with a more conventional partial flap and inset aileron configuration.

aero source inc

Thanks, always fascinated with obscure stuff like this

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
E-2C Hawkeye?
Nah, the Hawkeye is a turboprop and that bird has radial (piston) engines. I’m sure mojojojo is right.

Posts: 7041 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom: Flettner Fl282 Kolibri

Those intermeshing rotors looked familiar, so I "Wiki-ed" this and found that Herr Flettner was brought to the US after World War II as part of "Operation 'Paperclip'" and later designed synchropters for Kaman, some of whose products were used by the US Navy. Also that "Kaman" is pronounced like "come on," not "Cayman." (Wikipedia is good for topics like this.)

Posts: 28587 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
E-2C Hawkeye?
Nah, the Hawkeye is a turboprop and that bird has radial (piston) engines. I’m sure mojojojo is right.

E1 Tracer:
Powerplant: 2 × Wright R-1820-82A Cyclone 9-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engines, 1,525 hp (1,137 kW) each for take-off

The E2 is a bit sleeker looking with julienne props Big Grin and a 4 vertical tail.