SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seahawk "Stars and Bars"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seahawk "Stars and Bars" Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted
"TACOMA, Wash. - A Tacoma restaurant was the source of controversy over an altered Seahawks flag there with what some say are Confederate markings.

The owner West End Pub and Grill said he is pretty frustrated with the situation and made it clear that he did not intend for the flag to represent the Confederacy, or Confederate values, and this is the first time he's heard a complaint after having it up for four years.

Customer Leah Ford said she’s been to the pub multiple times over the years, but on Thursday, she suddenly noticed the flag.

“I just happened to look up and I saw it there and I was just really shocked. To me, I could definitely see the resemblance to something that - you know, for me, is not OK. Whether it be oppression, racism, rape, murder, slavery,” said Ford.

Ford said she asked to talk with a manager.

“I wanted to have a conversation about, ‘Hey, what do you think this flag represents?’ Because I feel that it's a negative representation of the Seahawks,” said Ford.

But Ford said the manager had no interest in taking it down.

“He said, ‘I'm not taking it down, I'm not getting a ladder, if you have a problem with it you should post about it on Facebook,’” said Ford.

Ford said she did post about it on Facebook, which led to another manager kicking them out before they finished their meals.

The issue is generating hundreds of comments on Facebook, with some people posting side-by-side comparisons of the Confederate flag with the Seahawks flag at West End.

Corey O’Brien is a longtime customer of West End. He says he’s half-black and he doesn’t see a problem with the flag.

“I see the Seahawks flag with the X through it. That's been here for four years, no one has said anything about it,” said O’Brien. This is not a racist bar. No racism.”

Customer Adam Walker said he sees the resemblance to the Confederate flag.

“I can definitely see a resemblance. You'd be arguing against logic if you were to say there was no resemblance at all,” said Walker.

The bar owner said he never intended the flag to be connected to the Confederate flag in any way, but said he decided to take it down to avoid the controversy.

Ford said she hopes the dialogue will continue.

“It’s great he took it down. It’s sad we weren’t’ able to have a conversation. There are so many times when people don't have a voice. And when you have an opportunity to speak out, you absolutely should,” said Ford.

West End’s owner said he collects Seahawks gear from all over and doesn't remember where he bought the flag four years ago. "

http://www.kiro7.com/news/sout...e-markings/658308347

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
So a diagonally crossed flag now has "Confederate markings"?

Someone better tell Jamaica to get their act together before another SJW is triggered.

Also, there are no crosses, "X"s, or other similar markings on Stars & Bars, which refers specifically to the first CSA flag. It does have... stars and bars, however.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16319 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
And next on the agenda...these damed Confederate spiders...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Triggered.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Give me a break.

"we dare defend our rights."

Put that in your pipe and smoke it snowflake.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Oh, please! Get a life.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Oh, please! Get a life.
That is her life. She wants to be offended. If a real offense isn't handy, she'll make one up.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2164 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I see the Seahawks flag with the X through it. That's been here for four years, no one has said anything about it,” said O’Brien. This is not a racist bar. No racism.”

“I can definitely see a resemblance. You'd be arguing against logic if you were to say there was no resemblance at all,” said Walker.

I am not always doing acid but when I do - I see faces everywhere.

Hence, when someone notices my face I know they are tripping on acid and we need to have a conversation about it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My God, an X is racist!

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
What about that Malcolm X guy, was he racist? (Trick question)

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Oh the horror!

Think of all those poor black African-Americans playing for the Seahawks. So oppressed at every turn and now this indignity...oh, wait.

NVM Big Grin

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Alright you iPhone X owners...give them up! Wink

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Alright you iPhone X owners...give them up! Wink

Oh shoot, and I was going to get one.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
"TACOMA, Wash. - A Tacoma restaurant was the source of controversy over an altered Seahawks flag there with what some say are Confederate markings.

The owner West End Pub and Grill said he is pretty frustrated with the situation and made it clear that he did not intend for the flag to represent the Confederacy, or Confederate values, and this is the first time he's heard a complaint after having it up for four years.

Customer Leah Ford said she’s been to the pub multiple times over the years, but on Thursday, she suddenly noticed the flag.

“I just happened to look up and I saw it there and I was just really shocked. To me, I could definitely see the resemblance to something that - you know, for me, is not OK. Whether it be oppression, racism, rape, murder, slavery,” said Ford.

Ford said she asked to talk with a manager.

“I wanted to have a conversation about, ‘Hey, what do you think this flag represents?’ Because I feel that it's a negative representation of the Seahawks,” said Ford.

But Ford said the manager had no interest in taking it down.

“He said, ‘I'm not taking it down, I'm not getting a ladder, if you have a problem with it you should post about it on Facebook,’” said Ford.

Ford said she did post about it on Facebook, which led to another manager kicking them out before they finished their meals.

The issue is generating hundreds of comments on Facebook, with some people posting side-by-side comparisons of the Confederate flag with the Seahawks flag at West End.

Corey O’Brien is a longtime customer of West End. He says he’s half-black and he doesn’t see a problem with the flag.

The bar owner said he never intended the flag to be connected to the Confederate flag in any way, but said he decided to take it down to avoid the controversy.

Ford said she hopes the dialogue will continue.

“It’s great he took it down. It’s sad we weren’t’ able to have a conversation. There are so many times when people don't have a voice. And when you have an opportunity to speak out, you absolutely should,” said Ford.

West End’s owner said he collects Seahawks gear from all over and doesn't remember where he bought the flag four years ago. "

http://www.kiro7.com/news/sout...e-markings/658308347

Ford said she did post about it on Facebook, which led to another manager kicking them out before they finished their meals."

Gold.

The funny part of this story is that it happened in Tacoma. Tacoma is not where the typical snowflake hangs out. You can get your ass kicked pretty fast in a bar in Tacoma.

GO HAWKS!

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

Someone better tell Jamaica to get their act together before another SJW is triggered.

-Rob

Scotland's Cross of St. Andrew is in trouble.

Or Ireland's Cross of St. Patrick.

Or the Union Jack, as Zoom6zoom, said.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob

Scotland's Cross of St. Andrew is in trouble.

Or Ireland's Cross of St. Patrick.

Or the Union Jack, as Zoom6zoom, said.

Of course. I picked Jamaica for ironic effect.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16319 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Oh My Gosh! I just realized that the Confederate flag was also a (gasp) "Rectangle!!!"

Therefore there is a resemblance to the Confederate flag with any flag that has a rectangular shape ! ! !

All rectangular shaped flags MUST be BANNED!!!

P.S. Hyperbole

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have to remember that Tacoma is only 33 miles from Seattle! And that does not count the suburbs between them. The insanity in Seattle has spread to most of Washington state west of the mountains.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, she's right. If it weren't for the flag using different colors than the Confederate Naval Ensign, with a different number of "pips" than the Confederate Naval Ensign, with "pips" instead of stars like the Confederate Naval Ensign had, and with a great big hawk's head in the center, they could be TWINS! /s

You may have noticed my peeve about the differences between the battle flags used by Confederate land forces, which were square, and the Confederate Naval Ensign, which was rectangular.

We won't even go into the difference between the Confederate battle flags and their National flag, which *was* the Stars and Bars. Her poor widdle noggin would implode.

Wait until she sees what the Russians use for a Naval Ensign... that one, I'll grant you, has a resemblance. With only six ways to arrange red/white/blue and a Cross of St George, she might want to get some kind of medication - she's going to see her dreaded trigger everywhere.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2107 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
All women are rayciss because they have XX chromosomes. Little scamps.... Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post