SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Citibank bye bye where to go
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Citibank bye bye where to go Login/Join 
posted
I'm ditching Citi after the latest. But I don't have clue where to land that is much better. Any advise?
jb

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I got fed up with banks decades ago & migrated to a credit union. Many advantages.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Maybe a smaller local bank or credit union? I check fees and ATM access with banking, then keep just enough there to get by.

I’d rather keep any excess at a MM account with Vanguard.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It'd help if the OP shared what services you had from Citibank. Credit card, savings, checking, IRA, mortgage, etc?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Specifically I am not sure, but always look at credit unions. My main bank has been Navy Fed since I was young and they are great, but I also have a savings account at Maine State Credit Union. In my experience credit unions dont act like the big commercial banks do. I'm not sure why anyone would NOT belong to a credit union.

Some do have membership requirements (like living in the state) but they are what banks should be, IMHO.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for? Credit card, checking, etc.

If a credit card do you want some kind of rewards card? Travel, cash back, etc.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The main relationship I have to replace (the others are no issue) is my Citibank advantage card which produces AA miles. I'm not attached to that and if it produced cash back or generic air miles that would be OK. My local credit union has nothing similar.

You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Chase Saphire card

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The main relationship I have to replace (the others are no issue) is my Citibank advantage card which produces AA miles. I'm not attached to that and if it produced cash back or generic air miles that would be OK. My local credit union has nothing similar.
My USAA VISA gives 1.5% cash back on every purchase. So does my Capital One MasterCard.

My opinion, cash back is nicer than air miles. Cash back does not have "Black-out dates" and can be used for anything, not just travel.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We recently did the CB thing with costco. My wife's doing. No issue's thus far. What is the latest with them???

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We moved to PNC from BOA and have been happy.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can easily move to BOA but they seem as bad as Citi. Heck according to my safe deposit agreement with them I can't put a gun in it.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I got fed up with banks decades ago & migrated to a credit union. Many advantages.

This, times a bunch!!!!!!!!!

And ours is open longer, even on Saturday.

And no BS from them, either

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
We recently did the CB thing with costco. My wife's doing. No issue's thus far. What is the latest with them???

They're pulling an Obama. Using regs and terms of service against you.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're just looking for a credit card, I'd first consider what is most important feature. Since you're looking to replace Citi AA travel card, you should probably consider a non-airline/hotel card. Are you tied to American for status or, main airport carrier? Citi is their bank for their most generous cards. This lays-out whom American works with directly for their credit cards.

Chase Sapphire Reserve or, Preferred have very versatile points, just depends on how frequent you travel will determine if Reserve or, Preferred are best. If you're an infrequent traveler but, still want travel options, I'd look into Capitol One Venture Card; not as generous as Chase but, easier to use. Cash back cards like Costco you never get good value back, certainly not as good as the above travel cards and their rewards. American Express Platinum has very generous travel benefits but, its quite premium and you gotta be a frequent traveler to justify it's costs.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Barclay does AA miles as well. I have that card but no other services.

I bank locally with BB&T and can't complain about their service.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Chase Sapphire. There are two options now I believe. Which one you use depends on how much you travel and spend on your card in a year.

I have had one for years. Miles can be redeemed through their website or transferred to an airline miles program.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Check into the Discover It card and/or Amex Everyday (Blue).

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve been really happy with my Barclay Arrival + rewards card. We use it enough it that the rewards points pay half our flight and the rental car usually. Every other year at least.

We use a local credit union but really just as checking and savings accounts. Sometimes a car or ATV loan. Currently the manufacturer of our car and ATV both had better rates though. We pay the ATV payment with the rewards card and then pay the credit card. Works well and miles add up faster.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Credit Union member here. Never looked back.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post