SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PC and Mac user accounts -- Admin privileged, or not?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PC and Mac user accounts -- Admin privileged, or not? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
<snip>
Also, not even root can change or install anything in /System or /System/Library (plus other normally hidden system folders) on the two latest iterations of macOS.

Henry, were you a sys admin before you decided to open a garage and go into the auto repair business? Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9476 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
<snip>
Also, not even root can change or install anything in /System or /System/Library (plus other normally hidden system folders) on the two latest iterations of macOS.

Henry, were you a sys admin before you decided to open a garage and go into the auto repair business? Smile

Yeah, where do you guys go for some deeper learning on Mac? I'm scarcely more knowledgeable specifically to Mac than a non-tech consumer. Even though I have worked in tech a lifetime.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Yeah, where do you guys go for some deeper learning on Mac? I'm scarcely more knowledgeable specifically to Mac than a non-tech consumer. Even though I have worked in tech a lifetime.

Explore. This is just a short summary. It depends on what you want out of the OS. Myself, besides using the programs, I like to play around with the underpinnings in a Terminal window, which is unix-y. Do a search for things you want to change, and you'll often find a Terminal command to accomplish this.

For the programs (built in or added), always go over all the Preferences (Command , is the shortcut key to open Preferences in any program), also available in the main menu under the program's name. You can really customize most programs that way. And the Option (Alt) key is your friend. When you click on a menu, keep it open and press the Option key. You'll see the menu magically change to offer other options.

Most programs have a very cluttered menu bar. Right-click (or Command-click) on the menu bar and you can add/remove icons to leave just what you need, making it much cleaner.

Using Mission Control, you can add as many desktops as you want. I have one desktop dedicated just to my calendar, without any other programs cluttering it up. Another desktop for file and system management. Another for Internet (browser and email). Etc.

Speaking of Mission Control, which is available in the System Preferences window, go over all of the icons in System Preferences to see what you can change to your liking. I like my date format to be 2022-01-23, which is the ISO standard, but you have to fiddle with the date/time settings to make that universal.

A small example, when you're ready to shutdown (or restart), click the Apple key and you'll see Shutdown... The elipsis means you are going to be prompted with an "are you sure" box. Hold down the Option key and the elipsis disappears, which leads to an immediate action with no prompting box.

Any specific questions our many Mac users here will be able to answer.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post