SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    July is a huge anniversary month for me...6 more years in the Navy!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July is a huge anniversary month for me...6 more years in the Navy! Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
First, turn 38 in a couple days.

Second, I joined the Navy in July, this month marks 7 years so...I am updating the signature to "13 years to retirement!" Also, as you service members know, this is uniform allowance month Smile

I also submitted paperwork for reenlistment this month, oddly enough it will be 7 years to the day I enlisted. Not on purpose, just worked out that way, so I am under contract through year 13!

Enjoying it more than I thought, 2 more years until I can test for Chief and attempt the Warrant route.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well let me be the first to thank you for your service.

I have a very good friend who retired from military service after 20 years and started a whole new work life (how I got to know him) and he it seems has had a great life.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I'll second that.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Bravo! Hope your next 13 are smooth sailing.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I retired in '83 after 21 years and have no regrets about the experience.
I would think hard and long about the Warrant thing though. Everyone has their own life to live but I elected not to go that route.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
They did our uniform allowance monthly…so getting $2.35 didn’t help on beer money…nor was it spent on uniforms….

Congrats.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Warrants aren’t real officers so OCS or nothing Big Grin

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Warrants aren’t real officers Big Grin

Maybe that's the point Smile I'm joking.

In seriousness my age, dependents, and other factors eliminate me from nearly every officer program. And I am quite content and prefer the warrant route based on my NEC and RATE.

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Warrants aren’t real officers so OCS or nothing Big Grin
OCS? Are they real officers?

West Point or Annapolis, yo. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

In seriousness my age, dependents, and other factors eliminate me from nearly every officer program. And I am quite content and prefer the warrant route based on my NEC and RATE.
I did four years regular Navy (plus two year reserve). Finished my four as E-5, would have been E-6 in three more months if I had reenlisted.

A friend whose first four years were exactly the same as mine, was a civilian for maybe a month or six weeks after his first four. He did not like civilian life after being used to the Navy, so he went back in for a career. He made Chief in minimum time, then Warrant, and at the end of his career he was retired as LCDR.

He and I met in USN Guided Missile School in Dam Neck, that was 1956. He went on, later in his career, department head on a couple of guided missile frigates. He's gone now. RIP, Michael.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
West Point or Annapolis, yo.

Don't forget the maritime academies. Wink

Congrats, OttoSig!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and thank you for your service!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wishing you a happy 13 more!!! Thank you for your service!!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your service! Congrats to you as well.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Question-- Who has more "Pull" ?? A senior master chief or a warrent officer?? Myself as 9 1/2 yrs Army (Staff sgt E-6) and I could never recognize Navy rank be it spoken or on the uniform.

Posts: 2010 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Question-- Who has more "Pull" ?? A senior master chief or a warrent officer?? Myself as 9 1/2 yrs Army (Staff sgt E-6) and I could never recognize Navy rank be it spoken or on the uniform.

As you know on paper a Warrant outrank all enlisted.

But in practice it totally depends on branch. Here the Army has 20 year old Warrants because they are so short on pilots. E4 to Warrant is real. So I see them get treated like complete dogshit by SSG and SFC alike.

The Navy is a different animal. Having to be E7 eligible (though new CWO1 opportunities are available to very limited few) most navy Warrants are the saltiest of salty. My Warrant for example has 26 years, Was E8 (Senior Chief) before going Warrant so he commands the most respect for good reason. Even over our O5 OIC though it would never be admitted. Not an insult just the way it is. As an enlisted sailor I view Navy Warrants highly.

So to answer your question simply. 90+% of Navy Warrants were E7 or higher (Chief or higher prior). So they'll always command most respect, whether on paper or practice.

Going Warrant also allows me to stay in my career field. Something the officer route would prohibit entirely. Not as a rule but just due to circumstances.

posted Hide Post
When I was in the Army we had a Warrent Officer were I was assigned who seamed to smile all the time at his job,division supply, we used to call Warrent Officer the “happy”rank.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Congrats

WE are going pick up our baby squid Sea Bee at Ft. Leonard Wood Thursday, he is heading to Bahrain for his first duty station

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job so far. Remember the middle is supposed to be the low point so if it sucks just remember there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck with your future plans.

Just be careful with Social Media. It has been the downfall of many people in the military.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post