SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The March for.... What?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The March for.... What? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The March for Science is tomorrow and no one in their right mind would say they are against it because of its name. First of all, you are standing against the right of people to march for whatever cause they wish. Second, you would be portrayed as someone who is against science.

I am all for science. I think the climate changes. It always has and always will. Yet I have been portrayed as anti-science and a climate change “denier” by many who will be marching for things I certainly believe in.

Just who does not believe in science? It’s a straw man the marchers are marching against.

What is questionable is the way science is being portrayed and used. Here is an example. You have seen this a kajillion times; now it’s a kajillion and one.

[continues with charts and text at link...] Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
This happens all the time with lib causes. They make their straw man (for example, "Climate Change Denier" = "Anti-Science") and moan and wail about how the country is 'turning its back on science,' all the while attacking the straw man and portraying it as the 'typical' beliefs of those they are against.

"Science" has gotten to the point with many out there that it has become a religion of its own. Another example I've seen for years now is "Faith" = "Anti-Science." They posted a poll about where 60% of Americans believe in some kind of Creative Design (instead of Evolution Theory). They then went off on a rant about how "We will fall behind the world in technology as 60% of the country is AGAINST science."

It's an old play from their play book, but they seem to dust it off and re-use it every few years.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The March for Science is tomorrow and no one in their right mind would say they are against it because of its name. First of all, you are standing against the right of people to march for whatever cause they wish. Second, you would be portrayed as someone who is against science.

I am all for science. I think the climate changes. It always has and always will. Yet I have been portrayed as anti-science and a climate change “denier” by many who will be marching for things I certainly believe in.

Just who does not believe in science? It’s a straw man the marchers are marching against.

What is questionable is the way science is being portrayed and used. Here is an example. You have seen this a kajillion times; now it’s a kajillion and one.

What he said. And substantially ignored in the background noise is that we are, in fact, very apparently in the irrefutable geologic record on the doorstep of the next glaciation. Overdue, actually. So one winter, quite soon geologically from the record, it will begin to snow, and it will not stop. At least not enough to matter to the trifling organisms on the planet larger than microbes. When it begins, within ten years Chicago will be under a mile of ice. Eventually, it will warm again. Much, much, much, much, much later. Enjoy, snowflakes.....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're holding one here, and the press release provides no info about the real purpose:

http://qctimes.com/news/local/...5d-79627a0feacb.html

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://marchforscience.squarespace.com/speakers/

Co-Hosts

Derek Muller, Creator of Veritasium
Questlove, Musician, DJ, Producer, Journalist

Special Guests

Cara Santa Maria, Science communicator; Creator and Host, Talk Nerdy with Cara Santa Maria
Jon Batiste, House Band

Speakers

Dr. Tyler DeWitt, YouTube Host “Science with Tyler DeWitt”

Taylor Richardson, Aspiring Astronaut; with Kavya Kopparapu, Founder/CEO, GirlsComputingLeague

Andrea Beaty, Children's Author of Rosie Revere, Engineer, and Ada Twist, Scientist

Jeane Wong, CEO/Founder, The League of Extraordinary Scientists & Engineers

Dr. Jonathan Foley, Executive Director, California Academy of Sciences

Dr. Caroline Solomon, Professor of Biology, Gallaudet University

Science TEENS

Questlove Gomez, Musician, DJ, Producer, Journalist

many others including
Michael Mann (remember the hockey stick graph of temperatures rising exponentially ?)

Bill Nye, CEO of The Planetary Society and Host of "Bill Nye Saves the World"

Dr. Nancy Roman, Chief of NASA's Astronomy and Relativity Programs (sounds impressive, except she is 86 y.o. and retired 20 years ago)

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

What he said. And substantially ignored in the background noise is that we are, in fact, very apparently in the irrefutable geologic record on the doorstep of the next glaciation. Overdue, actually. So one winter, quite soon geologically from the record, it will begin to snow, and it will not stop. At least not enough to matter to the trifling organisms on the planet larger than microbes. When it begins, within ten years Chicago will be under a mile of ice. Eventually, it will warm again. Much, much, much, much, much later. Enjoy, snowflakes.....
But, but, I'm sure we can prevent that from happening if only we'd agree to give up use of fossil fuels, our economy, quality of life, and live in mud huts. Roll Eyes

As I remind my moronic college aged son, even 'if' these eggheads could' prove man is having some effect on temp changes on this rock, what viable solution do these clowns have to resolve that issue? And windmills and solar panels ain't gettin' it.

We need to just sit back and enjoy each day knowing we have a very short shelf life (in the cosmic scheme of things) as a species. The planet will be just fine, long after we're a forgotten memory.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Around here, the press is pretty clear that these are protests against Trump's policies. Of course the left is prone to hyperbole and short on specifics so we have to assume that scientists and the left are on board and anyone opposing a leftist policy is anti science.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1514 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Thank God I'm not working in DC tomorrow.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The March for Science is today, not tomorrow.

https://www.marchforscience.com/event-details/

The March

April 22nd, 2017

Start: Washington D.C., North of Washington Monument, Constitution Avenue NW between 15th and 17th street.

8:00am: Grounds open.

9:00am: Teach-ins start

10:00am: Main stage rally program begins.

2:00pm: March begins!

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
The March for Science is today, not tomorrow.

https://www.marchforscience.com/event-details/

The March

April 22nd, 2017

Start: Washington D.C., North of Washington Monument, Constitution Avenue NW between 15th and 17th street.

8:00am: Grounds open.

9:00am: Teach-ins start

10:00am: Main stage rally program begins.

2:00pm: March begins!

Yep. The article appeared yesterday, so tomorrow is today.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard, they consider the "anti-science" people to be:
1) climate change deniers;
2) vaccination opponents
3) transportation / visa restrictions that impair free movement and publication from international scientists;
4) politicization and resulting funding cuts

So, yes, several points definitely have "ATTENTION : TRUMP" written on them.

I heard a funny story on the radio last night about liberals eating their own. Bill Nye was invited as a host or something. This was an outrage because he's an old white man. So, they invited a bunch more "people of diversity". This in turn was shot down because it was deemed to be "pandering" and "just trying to appear to be more inclusive!"

and then there's this:

https://techfeatured.com/8886/...s-white-dude-problem

quote:
“Colonization, racism, immigration, native rights, sexism, ableism, queer-, trans-, intersex-phobia, and econ justice are scientific issues,” an organizer tweeted, following with a raised fist and a rainbow emoji. The next day, the group released an updated diversity statement, claiming that issues like sexual harassment, disability, LGBTQIA rights, clean water access, and mass shootings “are scientific issues.”

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Thank God I'm not working in DC tomorrow.

What Sig2340 said. It's been a constant drizzle in the district this morning and looks to continue all day. Me & Mrs Cliff had planned to drive in to visit the Spy museum, & the Pentagon 911 memorial instead I'm still in my bathrobe, drinking Black Rifle Coffee, buying mags & ammo online.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Here is the National Committee for the March for Science:

https://www.marchforscience.com/national-committee/

You would expect some heavy hitters, right ?

23 people are listed

They include:

Someone who just graduated from college in 2016,

a PhD Candidate in Anthropology,

the Founding Director of The Natural History Museum,

someone who spent the last 8 years working in the Obama Administration on the intersection between technology and global challenges with a focus on innovation and global development,

a science educator who specializes in producing innovative live science events,

a graphic designer and brand manager for a real estate and hospitality company,

a clinical psychologist,

a science communicator and independent consultant,

a person who studies Indigenous peoples unique view of the natural world, in which natural science and religion intersect,

an expert in strategic account management and business development,

a computer scientist, web developer, and software engineer,

a lifelong logistician with a background in event and travel planning,

a person who handled crowd control and management for the rally portion of the DC March. Before that she was the Organizing Operations Director for the 2016 Florida Democratic Coordinated Campaign,

a science communicator at Columbia University, a freelance science journalist, and an organizer based in New York City,

a licensed attorney, and the Member Engagement Manager at WeWork,

a health educator and advocate with a focus on health literacy and access to care in low resource setting

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I like this graphic - and the problem is...?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For all of the "science" marchers, what do you think their score would be on the science test portion of the GED?

IME, most marchers are functional idiots and are highly suggestible because their science knowledge is shockingly lacking.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
video of the Science March

http://wtop.com/local/2017/04/13557171/

I skipped around to listen to some of the speakers. Pretty pathetically unimpressive.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pretty good turnout. I suppose they all walked there from the hinterlands, to minimize their carbon footprint.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
From what I saw on the news most of the protesters can't spell college or have liberal arts degrees... How exactly do you understand science? Or are you just protesting what you're told.

I wonder if they understand that sometimes science is wrong, and can be influenced to support an agenda.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they'll march so far they fall of the edge of the earth. Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Here is the National Committee for the March for Science:

https://www.marchforscience.com/national-committee/

There's a lack of diversity on this committee, out of 23 members, there's only six males or, people that have male names. I'm gonna start protesting....

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post