SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Gaza Pier is a disaster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gaza Pier is a disaster Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Exclusive — Sources Say Joe Biden’s Gaza Pier Is Endangering Troops’ Lives for a ‘Photo-Op’
credit: U.S. source involved in the mission
KRISTINA WONG12 Jun 20242,642
11:02

The Biden administration has publicly praised American troops who are part of the risky mission to deliver aid to Gaza via a temporary pier, but behind the scenes, sources tell Breitbart News that the troops’ safety is being endangered for a “photo-op.”

There are approximately 1,000 troops who are part of the novel operation to attach a floating pier to the coast of Gaza. The pier went operational on May 17, but eight days later on May 25, it broke apart due to heavy seas and had to be dismantled from the coast and repaired. It was reattached just last week.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...tm_campaign=20240612

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Considering it was weather related, Divine Intervention, considering its in that part of the world, thats my bet.

Posts: 3813 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
G-d knows how to use water...

Flood
Turned Blood
Split it two
Turned army to mud
Jonah in a Whale
And a few other tales.

Burma Shave Haiku Monkey rhyme.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Might be viewed as a good way to test the system/work out kinks/if the claims about running on inadequate food/rest are correct that seems dumb.

B) Might be a way to try to draw us into the conflict - the cronies have to be drooling over getting us mixed into the Palestine mess.

Posts: 5942 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
There’s a better way to make a “temp” pier. Our guys had it figured out in 1945. It involves sinking big concrete boxes called mullberrys. Creating a calmer harbor than what is present.

There is no need to overthink it. They work, as evidenced 80 years ago.

We also landed more stuff on the beaches at the adjoining beachheads in WWI than at the Mulberrys.

But yes, let’s do this bullshit

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
This is from two weeks ago, but it does a good job of explaining why the Gaza Pier is such a GIANT Clusterfuck, and unnecessarily so! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Can anyone name something the Biden Adm. has done regarding foreign affairs or the military has has been a success, or just not a total disaster?

Then, add in that this involves the middle east and do-good efforts.

Expectations should have been realistic (extremely low) from the start.

Posts: 9850 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
There’s a better way to make a “temp” pier. Our guys had it figured out in 1945. It involves sinking big concrete boxes called mullberrys. Creating a calmer harbor than what is present.

There is no need to overthink it. They work, as evidenced 80 years ago.

We also landed more stuff on the beaches at the adjoining beachheads in WWI than at the Mulberrys.

But yes, let’s do this bullshit

Mike, might want to read a bit about Mulberry A.

Not the best solution.

Posts: 2349 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It involves sinking big concrete boxes called mullberrys. Creating a calmer harbor than what is present.

It wasn't just Mulberries that were sunk. An equally important part of building an artificial harbor was the sinking of 61 old cargo ships that created a protective barrier for the Mulberries. Then there were various other artificial breakwaters, caissons, roadways, and more that were needed to create the offloading quay.

In any event, the Mulberry A off Omaha failed because it wasn't properly secured to the sea floor.

Kinda like the pier at Gaza, except anyone with three brain cells could have predicted the pier at Gaza would not be very effective since it was never designed to be used outside a relatively protected harbor.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32120 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Not surprising. I read that the planners failed to consider that the Mediterranean Sea can have turbulent tidal conditions. No doubt there was political pressure to "produce results" which resulted in poor planning, much as happened with the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Posts: 231 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

anyone with three brain cells could have predicted the pier at Gaza would not be very effective
That might explain why Biden did not predict it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we ought to use air drops to drop the stuff. The Gazans will of course shoot at the aircraft. Then covering aircraft can target the shooters. Aid delivered. Hamas greased. Win/win!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
Here's Bill Whittle's take on the situation. Apparently, the pier burned down, fell over, and sank into the swamp.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 657 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen Scott Ott for 20 years! I need to see more of this trio.

Posts: 18437 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My biggest question is why are we building a pier to give aid to a terrorist organization, that is the sworn enemy of our only ally in the area?

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4404 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
My biggest question is why are we building a pier to give aid to a terrorist organization, that is the sworn enemy of our only ally in the area?
If I were Bibi, I would have destroyed it

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

Mike, might want to read a bit about Mulberry A.

Not the best solution.

That’s why I mentioned the allies unloading more material onto the beaches than at the mulberry(B) I didn’t call out that the beach was in fact was failed mulberry A.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because Biden / Obama / Soros

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
If I were Bibi, I would have destroyed it

[Alex Jones Mode on]are we sure it's failure wasn't assisted... LOL[Alex Jones Mode Off]

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's start a restaurant called The Gaza Pier. The food is those shitty generic humanitarian aid MREs and six rolls of toilet paper. Your table is attached to the edge of a pool and at random intervals, detaches from the pool, drifts to the middle of the pool and sinks partially. Then, the waiter comes along and steals your purse or wallet and calls you a genocide-supporting racist.

Then, your check comes and it's a bill from the Federal government for 680 million dollars and when you try to leave a Yelp review, the FBI raids your home at 6:15 on a Sunday morning.

Posts: 109259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post